BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2014 v.2 thread2 CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 103

2014-07-31 10:40 AM
in reply to: ponderingfox

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.
Subject: RE: Manatee Mentors 2 CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?)
Originally posted by ponderingfox

Originally posted by jmkizer

Originally posted by Richardsdrr
Originally posted by 4agoodlife

Originally posted by Richardsdrr Think I may have bought a new(2nd hand) bike. Pics tomorrow if I go ahead with the sale

There. Much better.

N+1 :-) Bought it, 2 years old, with helmet, kryptonite lock, panniers, rack, for 135 quid :-) I've nearly saved that amount in fuel cost from the commuting I've been doing. Cost me another 20 quid for new pads front and back, and 2 hours labour giving it a good clean/oil etc but think I got a deal. Should be comfier that the allez.

I figured that the southern hemisphere folks would ride upside down bikes!

It's red so it must be fast! :-)

It's really neat how he has the bike hanging from the ceiling like that without hooks.  I need some of that technology.

Just fill the tyres with helium.
iPad is a PiTa for doing that with photos. To me, it's the right way up. Wonder if Stacey will see it the right way up.

2014-07-31 10:46 AM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by laffinrock

Originally posted by rrrunner

Originally posted by IndoIronYanti

Originally posted by Richardsdrr Think I may have bought a new(2nd hand) bike. Pics tomorrow if I go ahead with the sale

There. Much better.

N+1 :-) Bought it, 2 years old, with helmet, kryptonite lock, panniers, rack, for 135 quid :-) I've nearly saved that amount in fuel cost from the commuting I've been doing. Cost me another 20 quid for new pads front and back, and 2 hours labour giving it a good clean/oil etc but think I got a deal. Should be comfier that the allez.

AWWWW YEAH

I think I'm rapidly approaching S-1 with Kingsley ... except I keep buying him gear, too, to distract him.

I was thinking of Kingley yesterday whilst watching the Commonwealth Games (yes, I'm just getting to those). I like how they incorporate the para events in with the other events, instead of making it it's own separate games.

Nice use of "whilst".

Clearly Darren and those crazy Cannucks are having an affect on the group.

2014-07-31 10:48 AM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by rrrunner

There. Much better.

AWWWW YEAH

I think I'm rapidly approaching S-1 with Kingsley ... except I keep buying him gear, too, to distract him.

I was thinking of Kingley yesterday whilst watching the Commonwealth Games (yes, I'm just getting to those). I like how they incorporate the para events in with the other events, instead of making it it's own separate games.

Nice use of "whilst".

I thought I'd use a fave of our resident Welshman whilst discussing the Commonwealth Games. BTW, having Manatees in so many of those countries makes it difficult to decide which country to cheer for! And what the heck was that game with all the different coloured (see what I did there?) balls on the grass?!?!!?!?!? And net ball looks like a cross between basketball and freeze tag!

2014-07-31 10:50 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by cdban66

Originally posted by Asalzwed

Speaking of lots of miles, limits and belt buckles...did anyone happen to see Jenn Shelton's John Muir trail record this past weekend?? 

She's such a badazz. 222 relentless miles in 4 days 9hrs 36 min

What is this elevation thing I hear so much about???

ETA: I did a little research and can't find anything recent. But from what I found, she is complete badazzidness.

You can go back and search the hashtag #JMTFKT

But yeah. She is my very favorite runner of all time. If you have read Born to Run, she is THE Jenn 

Ahhh Haaa. Now I have to go back and read it. That book was a bit of a challenge when I read it, as I was trying to figure out the fact from the fiction and the science from the mythology. And my complete lack of knowledge of anything in that arena at the time did not help.

BTW, if anyone wants it, let me know. I'll get it to you in a bit, after I've re-read it.

Hmmmm, I didn't read through the lense of science. Just an interesting story. I don't even know if I would say I loved the book? But what I did love was Jenn Shelton and her shenanigans. Best part of the book IMHO. Then again, I am a sucker for shenanigans. 

2014-07-31 10:58 AM
in reply to: Richardsdrr

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Darren, the bike is in the Manatee Gallery now. Has anyone been keeping up with the Urban Bike design contest?  

www.oregonmanifest.com

There are some pretty cool concepts in there for commuter/city bikes. I am really pleased to see so many options in biking and bikes in general. Bike mechanic and this  may be my retirment options, if the lottery thing doesn't work out.

2014-07-31 11:01 AM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Hmmmm, I didn't read through the lense of science. Just an interesting story. I don't even know if I would say I loved the book? But what I did love was Jenn Shelton and her shenanigans. Best part of the book IMHO. Then again, I am a sucker for shenanigans. 

Read it like this and it is a good book. The whole "science of barefoot running" stuff is way out of my league, and this book only compounded it. I just want to be able to run again. But I'm almost there, today was another step in the right direction.

2014-07-31 11:37 AM

Master
Northern IL

There. Much better.

It's really neat how he has the bike hanging from the ceiling like that without hooks.  I need some of that technology.

Just fill the tyres with helium. iPad is a PiTa for doing that with photos. To me, it's the right way up. Wonder if Stacey will see it the right way up.

Thought you were across the pond, not down under?

2014-07-31 12:16 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by brigby1

There. Much better.

Just fill the tyres with helium. iPad is a PiTa for doing that with photos. To me, it's the right way up. Wonder if Stacey will see it the right way up.

Thought you were across the pond, not down under?

He's in Wales.  The new bike must have turned his world upside down.

2014-07-31 12:19 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Darren, the bike is in the Manatee Gallery now. Has anyone been keeping up with the Urban Bike design contest?  

www.oregonmanifest.com

There are some pretty cool concepts in there for commuter/city bikes. I am really pleased to see so many options in biking and bikes in general. Bike mechanic and this  may be my retirment options, if the lottery thing doesn't work out.

Clearly you need to check out the elf!

elf

2014-07-31 12:52 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Denver, CO

www.oregonmanifest.com

elf

That is really cute!!  It would be great for couriering (very minimal back seat); the yellow one is a pedi-cab I think.  Chris, I think I'd opt for bike mechanic.  More steady business and not so dependent on the weather.  On the other hand, couriering or pedi-cabbing would have better fitness benefits and would give you an excuse to buy yet another bike-ish type contraption.  Hm.  Given the demographics of your area, you could do grocery couriering - that might be a pretty good gig.  Heck, why not do 2 or 3 to keep yourself busy?  After all, you'll be retired and have all kinds of time on your hands.

2014-07-31 1:25 PM

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.

www.oregonmanifest.com

elf

That is really cute!!  It would be great for couriering (very minimal back seat); the yellow one is a pedi-cab I think.  Chris, I think I'd opt for bike mechanic.  More steady business and not so dependent on the weather.  On the other hand, couriering or pedi-cabbing would have better fitness benefits and would give you an excuse to buy yet another bike-ish type contraption.  Hm.  Given the demographics of your area, you could do grocery couriering - that might be a pretty good gig.  Heck, why not do 2 or 3 to keep yourself busy?  After all, you'll be retired and have all kinds of time on your hands.

I was looking at getting a recumbent trike for commuting, but I've read they can be hard to get up steep hills and any speed gain you get from the flats/downs is drastically outweighed by the ups. Look fun though.

2014-07-31 1:27 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

Hi kids, somehow I found the new thread.  I'm just popping in for a quick hello and to let all know I'm alive.  The week at Lake Placid was awesome as always, I got in a new milestone swim (2.5 miles), did some IronSpectating (about 13 miles or so of walking, some while carrying a small dog), did a few bike rides (one to Saranac Lake and the other was a modified loop of the IMLP course) and a hike.  Oh, and maybe ate Ben & Jerry's almost every day we were there.   I probably won't check in again until after the weekend; tomorrow I have an asthma and allergy appointment, then head off for a hockey tournament all weekend.  Hope all is well with the manatees, aside from cactus bites, upside-down bike feats, and a few nagging injuries.  Nice hiking pics, TJ!

2014-07-31 1:29 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

www.oregonmanifest.com

elf

I was looking at getting a recumbent trike for commuting, but I've read they can be hard to get up steep hills and any speed gain you get from the flats/downs is drastically outweighed by the ups. Look fun though.

This trike has a solar powered assist.

P.S.  I don't think that Chris plans on doing much outside of his Florida "hills."

2014-07-31 1:30 PM

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.
This one would do just fine :-)

(image.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
image.jpg (35KB - 8 downloads)
2014-07-31 1:34 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

www.oregonmanifest.com

elf

This trike has a solar powered assist.

P.S.  I don't think that Chris plans on doing much outside of his Florida "hills."

My "retirement plan" involves a pedicab, tourists, hotels near the beach and a lot of sweat. And it hasn't been fully fleshed out yet.

Again I say, "What are these hills you speak of?" I bet they have something to do with "elevation gains". 

2014-07-31 1:44 PM

User image

Melon Presser

Originally posted by Richardsdrr This one would do just fine :-)

I used to see types like that barrelling past me on the (Los Angeles) south beaches bicycle path!

We actually have a pedicab in our Jogja (ancient city in central Java, roughly halfway between Jakarta and Bali) house (see behind my brother. Yes, we also have a lampshade made out of license plates).

They are super hard to pedal and even harder to steer: need thighs and arms of steel!

(001.Pedicab (Copy).jpg)

Attachments
----------------
001.Pedicab (Copy).jpg (76KB - 2 downloads)

2014-07-31 2:00 PM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

User image

Denver, CO

I used to see types like that barrelling past me on the (Los Angeles) south beaches bicycle path!

We actually have a pedicab in our Jogja (ancient city in central Java, roughly halfway between Jakarta and Bali) house (see behind my brother. Yes, we also have a lampshade made out of license plates).

They are super hard to pedal and even harder to steer: need thighs and arms of steel!

Chris, since your plan isn't "fully fleshed out yet," you should probably take some time to convert muscle flesh to steel flesh (that which isn't already that way).  Something to aspire (perspire?) to until win the lottery.  Maybe you should take a trip to St. Croix to do some hill work.

Darren, I see lots of recumbants around here.  I always worry that the riders are going to fall over, based on the way they tend to wobble.  For some reason, they always seem to be ridden by older white guys who look like they're retired.  Maybe they opted for the recumbants because they figure they'll never get up to sufficient speed to hurt themselves when they fall off.

2014-07-31 2:32 PM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Now I just have to figure out how to get Yanti to sell it and ship it to me...

2014-07-31 2:36 PM

User image

Veteran
Dayton

These are very, very fast.  I've seen ones like this cruising the bike paths at 25 mph+ (40km/hr+).  At normal cruising speed.  Yikes!  Yeah, definitely want one, for sure.

2014-07-31 3:25 PM

User image

Seattle

There are a couple o' fellas that have those around Seattle and it makes me REALLY nervous. When you are in a car you CANNOT see them when they are next to you in the bike lane. I just think it's a terrible idea to mix those are car traffic

2014-07-31 5:39 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Racing Manatees!

A listing of Manatee Races, Rides and Runs and other events
====

August 2-3
Janyne - Lake Logan Half on Saturday
TJ - Algodones Time Trial Series #3 on Sunday
Tom - HFP Armco Park Olympic on Sunday
Randee - Greenfield Lightlife Triathlon - International Course on Sunday
Kate - Tri For Real Triathlon on Synday

Disabled List
Monica - knee 
Ann-Marie - hip (improving)
Chris - hamstring (improving)

2014-07-31 6:09 PM

User image

Denver, CO

Racing Manatees!

====

August 2-3

Disabled List
Monica - knee 

Gooooooooo Manatees!!

DL'ers, glad to see there's improvement.  However, Monica, it was very kind of you to step in to fill the knee injury slot vacated by Tom, but really, it wasn't necessary.

2014-07-31 6:26 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Racing Manatees!

====

August 2-3

Disabled List
Monica - knee 

Another long list of racing Manatees!!!  Go, go, go!!!!

2014-07-31 6:38 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Veteran
Citrus Heights, CA

Hey all--you can remove me from the list for this week--no triathlon for me--I am so not training for tris it's not even funny--I haven't been in a pool in many months! In other news....I am officially registered for the California International Marathon! Holy carp. It's real now.  I really am gonna have to train for this!

2014-07-31 6:45 PM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia

There. Much better.

Just fill the tyres with helium.
iPad is a PiTa for doing that with photos. To me, it's the right way up. Wonder if Stacey will see it the right way up.
yep it's the right way up for me, now whether that is an iPad thing or a Southern Hemisphere thing I'm not sure
New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2014 v.2 thread2 CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Rss Feed  

of 103

RELATED POSTS

Funked Up Triathletes - Season 2 - Olympic/Sprint Focus - Closed Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 27

Started by funkj25
Views: 42363 Posts: 669

2018-01-16 11:34 PM aviatrix802

Baowolf's Fun In the Sun Mentor Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30

Started by Baowolf
Views: 37422 Posts: 743

2015-03-16 2:42 AM scubabrad02

Manatee Monkey Mentors SHUT (Poptart or pet pic bribes considered) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 72765 Posts: 2488

2014-07-30 9:43 AM IndoIronYanti

Slornow and Wannabefaster's Summer Group-CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 51 52 53 54

Started by slornow
Views: 50435 Posts: 1331

2014-12-18 10:15 PM wannabefaster

Todd's Tri Turtles 3 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10K) Basically Closed Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23

Started by Hunting Triathlete
Views: 25706 Posts: 569

2014-12-14 7:18 PM cassowary
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 29, 2013
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 0
There are races to prepare for and health to be found and a lot of adventure and release to be sought in the oceans of the world.

date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.
date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.

date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 1
The closed fist drill will ensure that you are pulling with your entire hand and forearm.
date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.