BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2014 v.2 thread2 CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 103

2014-08-25 2:41 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California
Subject: RE: Manatee Mentors 2014 v.2 thread2 CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?)

Originally posted by Asalzwed

Originally posted by Artemis

Related to this commitment/consistency discussion: I am going to try to run at least a mile every day for 30 days.  I started on Friday.  I'm already dreading getting out the door tonight, but I need to do something to try to get some mojo back.

That's awesome! Such a good way to kick start your training 

It's hard to get out the door sometimes and yesterday I barely made it a mile.  But, I think it's better than nothing.

2014-08-25 2:51 PM
in reply to: Artemis

User image

Seattle

Related to this commitment/consistency discussion: I am going to try to run at least a mile every day for 30 days.  I started on Friday.  I'm already dreading getting out the door tonight, but I need to do something to try to get some mojo back.

It's hard to get out the door sometimes and yesterday I barely made it a mile.  But, I think it's better than nothing.

Yes, for sure! And often, once you get over the whole door hurdle you will find yourself thinking, "Well, as long as I am out here I may as well run a little more"

2014-08-25 8:11 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Denver, CO

Yes, for sure! And often, once you get over the whole door hurdle you will find yourself thinking, "Well, as long as I am out here I may as well run a little more"

That's definitely true for me, especially with the pool.  There have been days when I've psyched myself out before I even get there.  Other days, I force myself to go, telling myself, I'm going to do x amount (usually less than the amount planned).  I get into it, get to the lower target, then decide that I might as well keep going.  I will say, though, that I struggle with the mental part.  I'm fortunate that my schedule is a little more flexible than others' so I have the option of working out in the evenings.  If I only had morning time for training, it probably wouldn't happen.  I HATE morning exercising.  I also have a hard time getting back out the door after work unless I go right away.  I can ride my trainer late at night, but running rarely happens after I've eaten dinner.  Once I sit down, I'm done.  I've done pretty well over the past 6 months and only missed a few days of workouts.  Considering that before then, I'd never been a consistent exerciser and wasn't in sports after age 16, it's pretty amazing that I've done as well as I have.  I'm curious to see how well I do over the winter when I have to bundle up and run in the dark and cold.

2014-08-25 10:20 PM
in reply to: laffinrock

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by laffinrock

That's definitely true for me, especially with the pool.  There have been days when I've psyched myself out before I even get there.  Other days, I force myself to go, telling myself, I'm going to do x amount (usually less than the amount planned).  I get into it, get to the lower target, then decide that I might as well keep going.  I will say, though, that I struggle with the mental part.  I'm fortunate that my schedule is a little more flexible than others' so I have the option of working out in the evenings.  If I only had morning time for training, it probably wouldn't happen.  I HATE morning exercising.  I also have a hard time getting back out the door after work unless I go right away.  I can ride my trainer late at night, but running rarely happens after I've eaten dinner.  Once I sit down, I'm done.  I've done pretty well over the past 6 months and only missed a few days of workouts.  Considering that before then, I'd never been a consistent exerciser and wasn't in sports after age 16, it's pretty amazing that I've done as well as I have.  I'm curious to see how well I do over the winter when I have to bundle up and run in the dark and cold.

It may take some more time, but you'll get the hang of trusting that things will be ok once you get out the door and get through the warm-up. Happens a lot. I've also been learning how to work things on the harder days when I don't feel like pushing so much. Often I'll increase the pace throughout instead of jumping up to where I'm supposed to. So long ones end up being a progression and intervals keep building on the last one so that the majority will still be up at a decent effort for the purpose of the workout, if not all of them. This has saved a lot of days where I may have bagged the hard part otherwise. I don't know that someone like you will be pushing as much as often as I might, but you can take some of these things and figure out how to apply it to what you are doing. Like for running, I never worry about pushing the first mile at all. Just get through it. Somewhere in the second mile I like to be up at a decent easy pace. Everything before that is only to get me to this point. If I start out at say 1:30-2:00/mi behind easy pace, then so be it. A couple strides or running out the bottom of a small downhill after a few minutes can help to pick things up some. Some of enjoying so many of the workouts can come from learning some things that make them more enjoyable. Getting through the rough spots.

2014-08-26 6:27 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.
I am seriously contemplating giving up on Facebook lately. It seems to be full of religous and racial prejudice masquerading as patriotism. Worst of all, a lot of the posts are from my old mates from the army and friends/family.
To some extent, I can sympathise with the anger felt by the soldiers coming back from ops, but am really struggling with biting my lip on this. feel like I'm about to burst.
As for family/ friends posting the disturbing posts. I think there is some serious ignorance when it comes to the Muslim faith. It doesn't help when you have UK media fuelling mistrust with its sensationalist stories of minority actions. Nor the far right political, borderline racist groups (Britain first, EDL) bombarding social platforms with their propaganda that feeds on the publics ignorance and fear.
It also seems that the Islamic fundamentalist extremists in this country are running their own propaganda campaign with the same means to an end as the ilks of Britain first et al. That being, to divide and alienate the non-extremist, middle centre Muslim from the general populous. How are they doing this? By running campaigns to get sharia law in areas of th UK. Anyone with half a brain can see that would never happen, but for some reason, the fact that we, as a country, allow this group of people to practise their religion and to protest for sharia law seems to infuriate some people. I despair. I really worry about where all this will end up going.

Sorry for the rant. Been awake 21 hours, need to be back up in 2 and can't get to sleep without venting.

FAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaCcccccccccccccchhhhhhhhhhhhh
2014-08-26 7:42 AM
in reply to: Richardsdrr

User image

Master
Somewhere on the Tennessee River

Originally posted by Richardsdrr I am seriously contemplating giving up on Facebook lately. It seems to be full of religous and racial prejudice masquerading as patriotism. Worst of all, a lot of the posts are from my old mates from the army and friends/family. To some extent, I can sympathise with the anger felt by the soldiers coming back from ops, but am really struggling with biting my lip on this. feel like I'm about to burst. As for family/ friends posting the disturbing posts. I think there is some serious ignorance when it comes to the Muslim faith. It doesn't help when you have UK media fuelling mistrust with its sensationalist stories of minority actions. Nor the far right political, borderline racist groups (Britain first, EDL) bombarding social platforms with their propaganda that feeds on the publics ignorance and fear. It also seems that the Islamic fundamentalist extremists in this country are running their own propaganda campaign with the same means to an end as the ilks of Britain first et al. That being, to divide and alienate the non-extremist, middle centre Muslim from the general populous. How are they doing this? By running campaigns to get sharia law in areas of th UK. Anyone with half a brain can see that would never happen, but for some reason, the fact that we, as a country, allow this group of people to practise their religion and to protest for sharia law seems to infuriate some people. I despair. I really worry about where all this will end up going. Sorry for the rant. Been awake 21 hours, need to be back up in 2 and can't get to sleep without venting. FAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaCcccccccccccccchhhhhhhhhhhhh

I understand your pain.    In both our countries we have certain groups who would replace our democracies  with their particular theocracy.     Separation of church and state is a wonderful thing.  

2014-08-26 8:19 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by jmkizer

Racing Manatees!

A listing of Manatee Races, Rides and Runs and other events
====

August 23-24
Jonathan TX - Hotter'n Hell 100 on Saturday
Yanti - MetaMan Bintan Triathlon - Half Course on Saturday
Mary - Jag Jog 5k on Saturday
Randee - Old Wethersfield 10K on Sunday

Jonathan TN -  "Never Quit" 5k on Wednesday the 27th

Disabled List
Tom - right knee

GOO MANATEES!

Former Manatee Kristen (enders_shadow) is racing Ironman Louisville today! She's #673 if you want to track her.

Any updates from Kristen?  How's she doing?

2014-08-26 8:45 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.
http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2014/08/announces-cycling-dynamics.html

Could be quite a considerable factor in reducing power meter costs.
2014-08-26 8:56 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

It's a good thing neither Chris nor Ann-Marie are spending a lot of time swimming these days!

Stay out of the water!

Jellyfish sting at least 400 at Florida beaches

2014-08-26 9:33 AM

User image

Veteran
Dayton

Originally posted by Richardsdrr http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2014/08/announces-cycling-dynamics.htmlCould be quite a considerable factor in reducing power meter costs.

One could only hope.  But what's a better deal, this, or something cheaper like a PowerTap?

What power meters do you all use if you have one?

2014-08-26 10:00 AM
in reply to: ponderingfox

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Jen, how was your Monday run?

2014-08-26 10:13 AM

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.
Originally posted by ponderingfox

Originally posted by Richardsdrr http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2014/08/announces-cycling-dynamics.htmlCould be quite a considerable factor in reducing power meter costs.

One could only hope.  But what's a better deal, this, or something cheaper like a PowerTap?

I picked up a power tap with 2 carbon 50mm wheels and disc covers for £600 off eBay, but I'm now tied to using those wheels when I want to use power. Or I learn how to build wheels
I like the idea of a pedal as it can be switched over between different bikes quite easily, much like the stages crank arm.
2014-08-26 10:34 AM

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California

Racing Manatees!

====

August 23-24

Disabled List
Tom - right knee

GOO MANATEES!

Former Manatee Kristen (enders_shadow) is racing Ironman Louisville today! She's #673 if you want to track her.

She did not finish due to medical issues - dropped out at mile 20 of the bike and went to the hospital.  She is currently in an air cast and on crutches making her way back to Richmond to get an official diagnosis.  Looks like she is going to try IMMD next year.  

2014-08-26 10:35 AM

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California

I did it.  I was hot and grumpy, but at least I got out of the house for a little bit.  I should have turned off the run/walk intervals on my Garmin.  The first walk interval came up and I could have kept going, but once I heard that buzzer, my legs just stopped.  Have to fix that for today.

2014-08-26 10:51 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

It's a good thing neither Chris nor Ann-Marie are spending a lot of time swimming these days!

Stay out of the water!

What's even worse is that a CROCODILE attacked 2 swimmers in Miami!!  Florida crocs are very rare and this was the first ever attack, but shesh, it's just something else to worry about.  They think he was about 11ft long! Of course, the idiots went swimming in a canal known as a croc habitat at about 2:30am, so I can't feel too badly for them 

2014-08-26 10:53 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Racing Manatees!

====

August 23-24

Disabled List
Tom - right knee

GOO MANATEES!

She did not finish due to medical issues - dropped out at mile 20 of the bike and went to the hospital.  She is currently in an air cast and on crutches making her way back to Richmond to get an official diagnosis.  Looks like she is going to try IMMD next year.  

Ooh wow, that's too bad! 

2014-08-26 10:54 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

I don't use one and really don't understand how they are used!

2014-08-26 11:01 AM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by Richardsdrr

I picked up a power tap with 2 carbon 50mm wheels and disc covers for £600 off eBay, but I'm now tied to using those wheels when I want to use power. Or I learn how to build wheels
I like the idea of a pedal as it can be switched over between different bikes quite easily, much like the stages crank arm.

Building wheels is easy!

http://www.amazon.com/The-Bicycle-Wheel-3rd-Edition/dp/0960723668/r...

2014-08-26 11:03 AM
in reply to: 0

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by Richardsdrr

I picked up a power tap with 2 carbon 50mm wheels and disc covers for £600 off eBay, but I'm now tied to using those wheels when I want to use power. Or I learn how to build wheels I like the idea of a pedal as it can be switched over between different bikes quite easily, much like the stages crank arm.

Be sure to research that well if you ever look to buy. While the pedal itself may come off and reattach easily, getting everything torqued on and making parts "happy" has been another. I've had no intention of purchasing a set (or just one), so haven't researched as thoroughly as i normally would, but have heard enough to caution against thinking that this will be a super-easy install or swap for everyone.

ETA: Oh, and I've ridden a Quarq Cinqo Saturn for a few years and just took their upgrade to a Riken within the last few weeks.

Edited by brigby1 2014-08-26 11:04 AM
2014-08-26 11:22 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by amd723

I don't use one and really don't understand how they are used!

I just moved up to HRM! One step at a time! The nice thing, though, is that I do get power info when I go to the cycling studio. Like this morning, I was watching cadence, heart rate and watts.

2014-08-26 11:42 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

Stay out of the water!

What's even worse is that a CROCODILE attacked 2 swimmers in Miami!!  Florida crocs are very rare and this was the first ever attack, but shesh, it's just something else to worry about.  They think he was about 11ft long! Of course, the idiots went swimming in a canal known as a croc habitat at about 2:30am, so I can't feel too badly for them 

Almost Darwin Award worthy...  

2014-08-26 11:43 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Stay out of the water!

Yuck...

At least I made it out of Mass Bay just in time - a 14' GWS was spotted this week right where I've been OWSing my whole life (and as recently as last month)!  Too many seals lately - they've killed (literally) the Striper and Blue fishing and attracted the GWS's from down Cape into the bay.

All I saw at Barton Springs this morning was a big azzed turtle and some good sized (but fat and happy) feesh - oh, and some hippies...    No sharks or jellies!!

Matt

ETA - or CROCS!!!  Holy carp...

Edited by mcmanusclan5 2014-08-26 11:54 AM
2014-08-26 11:46 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by brigby1

Originally posted by laffinrock

It may take some more time, but you'll get the hang of trusting that things will be ok once you get out the door and get through the warm-up. Happens a lot. I've also been learning how to work things on the harder days when I don't feel like pushing so much. Often I'll increase the pace throughout instead of jumping up to where I'm supposed to. So long ones end up being a progression and intervals keep building on the last one so that the majority will still be up at a decent effort for the purpose of the workout, if not all of them. This has saved a lot of days where I may have bagged the hard part otherwise. I don't know that someone like you will be pushing as much as often as I might, but you can take some of these things and figure out how to apply it to what you are doing. Like for running, I never worry about pushing the first mile at all. Just get through it. Somewhere in the second mile I like to be up at a decent easy pace. Everything before that is only to get me to this point. If I start out at say 1:30-2:00/mi behind easy pace, then so be it. A couple strides or running out the bottom of a small downhill after a few minutes can help to pick things up some. Some of enjoying so many of the workouts can come from learning some things that make them more enjoyable. Getting through the rough spots.

100% true for me, as well.  Especially if I'm tired/at the end of a build (or starting back - like now!).  Some days that feel as if I CANNOT run, I just start reeeeeeally slowly (like barely jogging slowly) and it takes 1-2 miles, but I ease into a run that gets me what I'd targeted.

2014-08-26 11:51 AM
in reply to: blueyedbikergirl

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by blueyedbikergirl

Stay out of the water!

Almost Darwin Award worthy...  

true!

2014-08-26 11:52 AM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

I did it.  I was hot and grumpy, but at least I got out of the house for a little bit.  I should have turned off the run/walk intervals on my Garmin.  The first walk interval came up and I could have kept going, but once I heard that buzzer, my legs just stopped.  Have to fix that for today.

Yay!  That's how it happens...   

Consistency first - and you're doing that!

Matt

New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2014 v.2 thread2 CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Rss Feed  

of 103

RELATED POSTS

Funked Up Triathletes - Season 2 - Olympic/Sprint Focus - Closed Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 27

Started by funkj25
Views: 42391 Posts: 669

2018-01-16 11:34 PM aviatrix802

Baowolf's Fun In the Sun Mentor Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30

Started by Baowolf
Views: 37435 Posts: 743

2015-03-16 2:42 AM scubabrad02

Manatee Monkey Mentors SHUT (Poptart or pet pic bribes considered) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 72769 Posts: 2488

2014-07-30 9:43 AM IndoIronYanti

Slornow and Wannabefaster's Summer Group-CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 51 52 53 54

Started by slornow
Views: 50458 Posts: 1331

2014-12-18 10:15 PM wannabefaster

Todd's Tri Turtles 3 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10K) Basically Closed Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23

Started by Hunting Triathlete
Views: 25717 Posts: 569

2014-12-14 7:18 PM cassowary
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 29, 2013
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 0
There are races to prepare for and health to be found and a lot of adventure and release to be sought in the oceans of the world.

date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.
date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.

date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 1
The closed fist drill will ensure that you are pulling with your entire hand and forearm.
date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.