BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2014 v.2 thread2 CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 103

2014-09-16 3:57 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

Master
Northern IL
Subject: RE: Manatee Mentors 2014 v.2 thread2 CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?)

Originally posted by rrrunner

Originally posted by brigby1

Originally posted by amd723

Originally posted by Asalzwed

Janyne - Wow. So glad you are taking it in stride and have a back to fitness plan.

Hands - Have you checked junk mail for your BT emails? I was looking in my junk folder today (for an email from my brother, ha!) and found an oddly intermittent number of BT emails in there.

So I went to the cycling studio this morning. The owner wasn't there, his assistant was, who I've also worked with quite a bit. I mentioned to the assistant (Gabe) that even if I didn't stay with Coach I plan to utilize P2M this winter to improve my bike fitness/strength. A few minutes ago I got an email from the owner:

I heard that you had a good and hard workout this morning.  Gabe said that you struggled a little on the high end stuff but were rock solid on the midrange efforts.  That's indicative of some triathlete's.  Most tend to spend their time training in mid zone 3 and low zone 4, so they get really good at that, but can't sustain any high end work

This is something that I would suggest we talk about and also educate you on.  Most triathlete's in the newer stages of racing, tend to ignore this level of effort in the bike training, they do it in their run training some, but not the bike.  It's a very important piece of training during the race season.  

We can talk more about this.  It's probably worth the time for you and I to sit and talk about your goals for next year and what you have left this year.  We can build an off season plan to help make sure you are ready for next year.

THis is excellent. 

Yes, it is!!

Maybe I'll be one of the mega-biker-manatees next spring

I've been thinking quite a bit about my goals for next year. I'm leaning toward getting stronger/faster at sprint/oly distance, but I'm still not ready to close the door on IMAZ yet. Still thinkin' on it...

You should consider this training whether or not you sign up for IMAZ. Short course focus for earlier in the year to push these higher efforts more. Then later could be either continuing with the short course or for readjust for IMAZ. Even when someone has a long course race in mind, the type of work he's describing is still very necessary towards ones development even though you shouldn't actually see those efforts during the race. It's only in the last part of the build during the fall that the higher level efforts will be reduced, but year round they are important for continued development.

Did you follow along with the power mentor group last winter? What the guy described is very much what they did. You'll be relearning what hard work is. And that's not another way of saying to HTFU, but more coming to an understanding about pacing and moderating the efforts. Learning what various intensities can do for you and working effectively at them.

Oh most definitely! I plan to work with him either way. But... based on our conversation last week, I should have an idea of my goals so that he and I are working in the right context.

Nice! And definitely would want to get on the same page for more overall training. For now it's probably fine to look at training more for shorter course earlier in the year. More IM specific things wouldn't come into play until way past you'd have to sign up. I'd guess he'd want to know about any other possible events like cyclocross, mountain biking, TT's and such. A TT wouldn't be too different, just learning to do a harder effort than what you do now, but the other two could add in some very short and much higher effort work.

2014-09-16 3:58 PM
in reply to: laffinrock

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by laffinrock

Originally posted by 4agoodlife

Just got back from a walk with Mak and Pogo. 1.6mi in a light rain and 75*. It felt fantastic! Not a single whine from the girl or the pooch.

Now the treadmill really is a dreadmill

Ryan Hall posted yesterday that JD had him at a 20% incline on the treadmill.

ummm, ouch. Hopefully it was short-lived for him! Our treadmill only goes to 12%, and I've been to 8%. After that I think I'd be like

And 20%????

Hee hee.  Makes me think of the pictures that have been posted here of treadmills and bikes hanging from the ceiling without the benefit of hooks.

That's what it'd feel like. Ones I use only go to 15%, I think.

2014-09-16 4:09 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Denver, CO

Just got back from a walk with Mak and Pogo. 1.6mi in a light rain and 75*. It felt fantastic! Not a single whine from the girl or the pooch.

ummm, ouch. Hopefully it was short-lived for him! Our treadmill only goes to 12%, and I've been to 8%. After that I think I'd be like

And 20%????

Hee hee.  Makes me think of the pictures that have been posted here of treadmills and bikes hanging from the ceiling without the benefit of hooks.

"Ours go to 11."  $0.50 to the first person who can name that reference.

2014-09-16 4:21 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pennsylvania

And 20%????

Spinal Tap, right?

Edited by melbo55 2014-09-16 4:21 PM
2014-09-16 4:22 PM

User image

Master

And 20%????

Probably wrong but totally sounds like a Dodgeball line..at least in this context.
2014-09-16 4:32 PM
in reply to: 4agoodlife

Master
Northern IL

And 20%????

Probably wrong but totally sounds like a Dodgeball line..at least in this context.

Is this a trick question?

2014-09-16 4:49 PM

User image

Denver, CO

And 20%????

DING DING DING.  We have a winner!!  Melanie got it first, followed closely by Ben.  Way to go!

2014-09-16 6:23 PM

User image

Master

And 20%????

DING DING DING.  We have a winner!!  Melanie got it first, followed closely by Ben.  Way to go!

So should she expect her winnings sent PayPal or in the mail?
2014-09-16 7:50 PM

Master
Northern IL

Pop-Tart coupon.

2014-09-16 8:50 PM

User image

Denver, CO

Pop-Tart coupon.

Given that mailing a Pop-Tart coupon would take $0.49, thus costing me nearly double, it'll have to be PayPal.  Either that or a couple pieces of Dolle's salt water taffy the next time I'm in her neighborhood.  Whaddaya say, Melanie?  Dolle's date?

2014-09-17 12:34 AM

User image

Master
So the lake article I posted earlier was from four days ago. The 10pm news just updated, saying the stench from rotting fish, fecal matter and fertilizers is overwhelming. And absolutely no one should be swimming in it. No results for water quality or mosquitoes (west Nile) since the weekend. Hmmmm...I see our friend's tri turning into a du.

2014-09-17 6:46 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by 4agoodlife So the lake article I posted earlier was from four days ago. The 10pm news just updated, saying the stench from rotting fish, fecal matter and fertilizers is overwhelming. And absolutely no one should be swimming in it. No results for water quality or mosquitoes (west Nile) since the weekend. Hmmmm...I see our friend's tri turning into a du.

That is disgusting!  

2014-09-17 8:41 AM

User image

Melon Presser

Do NOT think for a minute I didn't notice Pop Tarts mentioned ...

Just checking in, update before Kingsley and I leave for the supercrater lake in the wilds. (From bloggie)

Please note, however, that I am NOT on the disabled list!

Thank you so much for all the love and support.

Root canals, fillings, drillings, and SEVEN temp crowns finished up this morning in a mammoth dentist session. Shoulda seen the look he gave me when I asked about training ... no, I didn't tell him about the 10K swim this weekend or Ironman next, why? What he doesn't know won't hurt him

So much more painful today after anaesthetic wore off than even when I broke them. Serious faching pain. Today's the day (and probably also delayed onset of getting whacked in the face) I really feel like I got bammed in the mouth by a gloveless heavyweight.

Thank you so much for all the love and support.

Root canals, fillings, drillings, and SEVEN temp crowns finished up this morning in a mammoth dentist session. Shoulda seen the look he gave me when I asked about training ... no, I didn't tell him about the 10K swim this weekend or Ironman next, why? What he doesn't know won't hurt him

So much more painful today after anaesthetic wore off than even when I broke them. Serious faching pain. Today's the day (and probably also delayed onset of getting whacked in the face) I really feel like I got bammed in the mouth by a gloveless heavyweight.

2014-09-17 9:41 AM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

User image

Master
Orlando

You should feel like you were in a fight - that is a lot of faching work on your mouth!! And your wallet 

2014-09-17 10:31 AM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

User image

Denver, CO

Yanti, you are BAD AZZ!!  You're right, what the dentist doesn't know won't hurt him.  Besides, he hurt you plenty in more ways than one.

2014-09-17 10:34 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

You should feel like you were in a fight - that is a lot of faching work on your mouth!! And your wallet 

Isn't Yanti sending the bill to Sheila?

2014-09-17 10:47 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Denver, CO

I did my first run in my new Hokas.  They're great!  My hip/ITB and back have been really sore lately and I was a little worried that running would make them worse.  No problems whatsoever with increased pain.  In fact, they're feeling a little better, probably from moving around more, using my foam roller, and things just settling down.  One more run before my Sunday race and I'm actually looking forward to it!

2014-09-17 11:48 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

I did my first run in my new Hokas.  They're great!  My hip/ITB and back have been really sore lately and I was a little worried that running would make them worse.  No problems whatsoever with increased pain.  In fact, they're feeling a little better, probably from moving around more, using my foam roller, and things just settling down.  One more run before my Sunday race and I'm actually looking forward to it!

glad the hokas are working for you!

2014-09-17 12:43 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

Pop-Tart coupon.

Given that mailing a Pop-Tart coupon would take $0.49, thus costing me nearly double, it'll have to be PayPal.  Either that or a couple pieces of Dolle's salt water taffy the next time I'm in her neighborhood.  Whaddaya say, Melanie?  Dolle's date?

YES!  As long as you don't include any black licorice flavored pieces.  Blech.

Edited by melbo55 2014-09-17 12:43 PM
2014-09-17 1:02 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by jmkizer

Did we ever learn why Sheila is at fault?

I saw a link to the book "Faster". I think it was Triathlete Mag FB maybe? Anyone read it? I was thinking of getting a running/training related book for the drive to Denver. I know Salty has mentioned some. I should go back and look.

2014-09-17 1:07 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

I saw a link to the book "Faster". I think it was Triathlete Mag FB maybe? Anyone read it? I was thinking of getting a running/training related book for the drive to Denver. I know Salty has mentioned some. I should go back and look.

"Actually, it's all Sheila's (Taormina) fault. Water horrors usually are. I can't wait to tell her about this one ... I was trying to count my strokes as instructed (in backstroke, which I hate and suck at the way most nonswimmers hate and suck at swimming) AND sprint AND focus on the upcoming backstroke-to-breaststroke turn (which is a beast anyway and different than any other turn in swimming) ... between all that, my special powers, and that we have no lane ropes (never mind color-sectioned), backstroke flags, or black lines on the bottom ... smoosh."

Edited by jmkizer 2014-09-17 1:08 PM

2014-09-17 1:32 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by melbo55

Pop-Tart coupon.

YES!  As long as you don't include any black licorice flavored pieces.  Blech.

I'll eat those - they're my favorite.

2014-09-17 1:41 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

"Actually, it's all Sheila's (Taormina) fault. Water horrors usually are. I can't wait to tell her about this one ... I was trying to count my strokes as instructed (in backstroke, which I hate and suck at the way most nonswimmers hate and suck at swimming) AND sprint AND focus on the upcoming backstroke-to-breaststroke turn (which is a beast anyway and different than any other turn in swimming) ... between all that, my special powers, and that we have no lane ropes (never mind color-sectioned), backstroke flags, or black lines on the bottom ... smoosh."

Ah, right.

2014-09-17 2:00 PM

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.
Okey dokey, 1st of 4 RR's written...

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

Only2 months late. So, not quite in the same league as her Yantiness. Talking of which, good luck with your 10 km swim, and don't forget to smile for those race pics...

(image.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
image.jpg (17KB - 4 downloads)
2014-09-17 2:01 PM

User image

Master

Bike->pedal boat. May be a good investment for monsoon season  Front wheel powers a propeller.

New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2014 v.2 thread2 CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Rss Feed  

of 103

RELATED POSTS

Funked Up Triathletes - Season 2 - Olympic/Sprint Focus - Closed Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 27

Started by funkj25
Views: 42061 Posts: 669

2018-01-16 11:34 PM aviatrix802

Baowolf's Fun In the Sun Mentor Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30

Started by Baowolf
Views: 37196 Posts: 743

2015-03-16 2:42 AM scubabrad02

Manatee Monkey Mentors SHUT (Poptart or pet pic bribes considered) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 72635 Posts: 2488

2014-07-30 9:43 AM IndoIronYanti

Slornow and Wannabefaster's Summer Group-CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 51 52 53 54

Started by slornow
Views: 50188 Posts: 1331

2014-12-18 10:15 PM wannabefaster

Todd's Tri Turtles 3 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10K) Basically Closed Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23

Started by Hunting Triathlete
Views: 25569 Posts: 569

2014-12-14 7:18 PM cassowary
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 29, 2013
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 0
There are races to prepare for and health to be found and a lot of adventure and release to be sought in the oceans of the world.

date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.
date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.

date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 1
The closed fist drill will ensure that you are pulling with your entire hand and forearm.
date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.