BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2014 v.2 thread2 CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 103

2014-09-18 2:04 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Pennsylvania
Subject: RE: Manatee Mentors 2014 v.2 thread2 CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?)

Originally posted by Asalzwed

Hey all,

let's see just a few updates on my end

1. My job became permanent (as most of you know I had taken a risk on a 1 year assignment that may or may not turn into a permanent) anyway it did and I am now owning the Arizona, SoCal and Hawaii markets (as they relate to LEED and sustainable construction.) So, YAY!

2. Did some more bio-mechanical testing at the Brooks lab in the new HQ on Tuesday. Very cool stuff. 

3. First XC race is this weekend. It's kind of a casual intro into XC, we haven't really done much specific XC style training but it should be a really good time. I am so excited. It will be interesting to see how XC plays with marathon training. Either way I am going to be happy.

That's about it, been doing a lot of hiking in prep for my summit this weekend too...which I plan to continue because it's awesome. 

Big congrats on the job, the fun at Brooks and the upcoming XC race!!  I can't wait to hear all about your summiting and see the pics, good stuff!

2014-09-18 3:11 PM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by laffinrock

Originally posted by jmkizer

Go Jens! Go!

Into the last 10 minutes.  He's doing great and is ahead of previous record holders.

4 laps left to go to beat the record with 2:30 left.  He's going to blow the record out of the water!!

And he did it!  51.115 km.  Yay Jens!!!!!!!

I'm excited for him....until I find out he's on PEDs like everyone else and then I'll be crushed.
2014-09-18 3:23 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Veteran
Dayton

I'm starting to look for a tri bike also.  I have a local shop that can do the fitting.

I always wonder if the brand makes a difference.  Seems to me that it doesn't really for any given component level, especially lower priced levels, I don't think there's a lot of differences between bikes.  Thoughts?

If the bike fits, and fits your budget, with the component setup you want, it should work.  (As long as it's in the right color, of course. Right Erin?)

2014-09-18 3:36 PM
in reply to: ponderingfox

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Whew! Crazy day! I haven't even kept up via email. My AUSA expects me to work?!?!?!?! During Jens' hour attempt?!?!?!?!?!? Sacrilidge!!!!!!!

I was able to sneak away for part of the attempt. Some excuse about talking to a witness or sumethin'...

Chris, I love my Felt

Salty, cool beans on the XC and Brooks and permanent job!!!!!!! So will you be visiting AZ?

2014-09-18 5:28 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Tom, different brands and even framesets within brands will have different geometries. And while it is possible to stretch a bike a bit with a longer stem or shrink it with a smaller one, you can suffer in a number of other areas (handling, breathing, power, etc). The same goes for seat position. Up or down, forward or back, it all has purpose. So, start with the "right" frame.  And there are other areas like aerodynamics and wind flow that certain brands lay claim to as well. Below is a link for comparison sake:

https://www.retul.com/frame-finder/stack-and-reach-tables/

Oh yeah, one more thing is the fit process. Find a reputable shop, one that has stellar reviews. I have been looking at some of my numbers from my positioning a few years ago and one of the numbers is way off what it is now. I have slightly adjusted some aspects of the bike since then, but to be off by 10+ cm's is a bit much. So, tonight will be more measuring of my body to get more data to work with.

Personally, I am so up in the air right now. I may build my own and go so far as China for a frame (virtually anyway). But I have a bunch of homework to do first.

Thanks for the input folks. I had heard good things on Felt and you've solidified that in my mind.

Edited by cdban66 2014-09-18 5:32 PM
2014-09-19 12:23 AM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Elite
Originally posted by melbo55

Hey all,

1. My job became permanent (as most of you know I had taken a risk on a 1 year assignment that may or may not turn into a permanent) anyway it did and I am now owning the Arizona, SoCal and Hawaii markets (as they relate to LEED and sustainable construction.) So, YAY!

2. Did some more bio-mechanical testing at the Brooks lab in the new HQ on Tuesday. Very cool stuff. 

3. First XC race is this weekend. It's kind of a casual intro into XC, we haven't really done much specific XC style training but it should be a really good time. I am so excited. It will be interesting to see how XC plays with marathon training. Either way I am going to be happy.

That's about it, been doing a lot of hiking in prep for my summit this weekend too...which I plan to continue because it's awesome. 

Big congrats on the job, the fun at Brooks and the upcoming XC race!!  I can't wait to hear all about your summiting and see the pics, good stuff!

Yes all of the above!

2014-09-19 9:14 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Veteran
Dayton

Originally posted by cdban66

Tom, different brands and even framesets within brands will have different geometries. And while it is possible to stretch a bike a bit with a longer stem or shrink it with a smaller one, you can suffer in a number of other areas (handling, breathing, power, etc). The same goes for seat position. Up or down, forward or back, it all has purpose. So, start with the "right" frame.  And there are other areas like aerodynamics and wind flow that certain brands lay claim to as well. Below is a link for comparison sake:

Oh yeah, one more thing is the fit process. Find a reputable shop, one that has stellar reviews. I have been looking at some of my numbers from my positioning a few years ago and one of the numbers is way off what it is now. I have slightly adjusted some aspects of the bike since then, but to be off by 10+ cm's is a bit much. So, tonight will be more measuring of my body to get more data to work with.

Personally, I am so up in the air right now. I may build my own and go so far as China for a frame (virtually anyway). But I have a bunch of homework to do first.

Thanks for the input folks. I had heard good things on Felt and you've solidified that in my mind.

That's really interesting that you might build your own bike.  Let me know if you go that route, I'd like to virtually tag along and see what all goes into that.

2014-09-19 9:23 AM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by ponderingfox

That's really interesting that you might build your own bike.  Let me know if you go that route, I'd like to virtually tag along and see what all goes into that.

I put together much of the bike I'm using now. Also ended up rebuilding most things on a couple others for maintenance/adjustments. It can be challenging at times, but it's also rewarding in knowing how everything went together.

2014-09-19 9:23 AM
in reply to: jobaxas

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by jobaxas
Originally posted by melbo55

Hey all,

Yes all of the above!

Yeah, congrats on that!

2014-09-19 9:28 AM

User image

Denver, CO

Happy Talk Like a Pirate Day!!  To celebrate, here are a few dessert suggestions:  http://www.cakewrecks.com/

2014-09-19 9:31 AM

Master
Northern IL

Ooooh one other thing. I have been eyeing my coworkers cyclocross bike. Ben I know we had talked about how much a cross bike would make sense.

It's in really good shape, hasn't actually been off road or anything: http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/bik/4663022663.html

and I can get it with no wheels for 600 (I'd like to get some more aggressive off road type tires so I can do moderate dirt roads/trails)

Does anyone have an opinion on this bike? Of course the standard things like making sure it's a good fit etc. But I don't really know if there is anything else I should look for. 

Of course I think it's great you're looking at a bike! Just wish I knew more of the particulars about the type to say something here.

2014-09-19 9:52 AM

User image

Veteran
East Texas

I'm starting to look for a tri bike also.  I have a local shop that can do the fitting.

I always wonder if the brand makes a difference.  Seems to me that it doesn't really for any given component level, especially lower priced levels, I don't think there's a lot of differences between bikes.  Thoughts?

If the bike fits, and fits your budget, with the component setup you want, it should work.  (As long as it's in the right color, of course. Right Erin?)

A good fitter will tell you what brands fit you and what doesn't. For example I am long legs and short torso which means I can fit on a Scott or Shiv perfectly but a Cervelo would require massive modifications to make me comfortable. You'll get better speed from a bike with proper fit than a "faster" bike with in-proper fit.
2014-09-19 10:02 AM
in reply to: 0

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by JJ-

A good fitter will tell you what brands fit you and what doesn't. For example I am long legs and short torso which means I can fit on a Scott or Shiv perfectly but a Cervelo would require massive modifications to make me comfortable. You'll get better speed from a bike with proper fit than a "faster" bike with in-proper fit.

More specifically it'll be what models. Just saying "Shiv" is the best example as the Shiv Tri is about the tallest bike out there, but the Shiv TT is the exact opposite in being about the lowest. There can be tendencies among brands, but do make sure it's the specific models being looked at.

Also be careful of limiting oneself by guessing at your body type. It's your range of motion that really limits it. My legs aren't short, but I still need a rather low stack as I can get pretty far over. My pads are just over 7" lower than the saddle.

Edited by brigby1 2014-09-19 10:04 AM
2014-09-19 10:23 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by brigby1

I put together much of the bike I'm using now. Also ended up rebuilding most things on a couple others for maintenance/adjustments. It can be challenging at times, but it's also rewarding in knowing how everything went together.

And Chris, I think you of all people would be up to the task! I will go even further to say that 1. you should do the build yourself and 2. you should document it and share your learning. The great thing is that you already have a bike so there is no rush. 

2014-09-19 10:55 AM

User image

Denver, CO

Saw this on Jens' Twitter feed.  Awesome!

Embedded image permalink

Saw this on Jens' twitter feed.  Awesome!

2014-09-19 11:19 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by brigby1

And Chris, I think you of all people would be up to the task! I will go even further to say that 1. you should do the build yourself and 2. you should document it and share your learning. The great thing is that you already have a bike so there is no rush. 

Thanks a bunch, and BTW CONGRATS on the job permanence. Really cool that it is moving in the right direction for you.  In so far as the bike is concerned, it'll take a while as I am going to be quite careful. I think carpenters refer to it as "measure twice and cut once". I am in the first measurement phase, if you will.

Ben, thanks for the Shiv input, it pretty much reinforces my belief that there are differences, even within brands, that need to be considered. And I'd love to see a pic of your finished product, simply for research, of course.

Tom, if I go the build route, I'll keep it all logged, probably on G+, since I find it easier to work pictures there.

2014-09-19 2:04 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Racing Manatees!

September 20-21
Ann-Marie - Great Smoky Mountain Half Marathon on Saturday
Adrienne - Sundodger XC 6K on Saturday
TJ - Dirty Girl mud run on Saturday
TJ - Longmont Oktoberfest Sprint tri on Sunday
Mary - Longmont Oktoberfest Sprint tri on Sunday
Yanti - Lake Toba 10K swim
Kirk - Kiawah Island Golf Resort Triathlon on Sunday

Disabled List
Yanti - teeth*
Janyne - shoulder (surgery Friday the 26th)

* I know that she said no DL and that she's racing this weekend. She was still numbed up when she said that!

2014-09-19 2:06 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Veteran
Dayton

You can keep me on the DL.  There's something going on with my right knee.  I don't know what.  Kinda discouraging.  It blows up my 5K plans for the fall.

I'm not sure how biking affects it.  I might take some time and focus on some lower body weights to strengthen the legs and muscles around the knees.

I really wish I could get back to running without any issues.

2014-09-19 2:14 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

You can keep me on the DL.  There's something going on with my right knee.  I don't know what.  Kinda discouraging.  It blows up my 5K plans for the fall.

I'm not sure how biking affects it.  I might take some time and focus on some lower body weights to strengthen the legs and muscles around the knees.

I really wish I could get back to running without any issues.

Aw shucks! Sorry to hear that it's continuing to be uncooperative!

2014-09-19 2:21 PM

User image

Denver, CO

Racing Manatees!

September 20-21

Disabled List
Yanti - teeth*

* I know that she said no DL and that she's racing this weekend. She was still numbed up when she said that!

Yay racing Manatees!!  Have a blast!!  (And yay for another Manatee meet-up for me and TJ! )

DL'ers, including Tom, hoping for quick recoveries for all of you.  Yanti, you are NOT allowed to grit your teeth while dealing with all your travel hassles.  You've done enough damage already.  Janyne, glad you're scheduled for surgery so you can get started healing up.  Tom, that sucks about your knee.  Maybe a trip to the doc is in order? 

2014-09-19 2:26 PM
in reply to: #5032558

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
Woo go racers!

Hands you are soooo ready!
Salty have fun. You're so good at the XC!
Me n Mary have fun!
Kirk have a great race.
Yanti, oh Yanti, try not to hurt yourself!

2014-09-19 2:28 PM
in reply to: #5052172

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
Janyne, glad you have the surgery scheduled. That's the beginning of your recovery.
2014-09-19 3:53 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Racing Manatees!

September 20-21

Disabled List
Yanti - teeth*

Yay, go racers!!! Double yay to the over achieving TJ

DLers, heal quickly!

2014-09-19 3:57 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by rrrunner Janyne, glad you have the surgery scheduled. That's the beginning of your recovery.

Thanks!

2014-09-19 4:00 PM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

Racing Manatees!

September 20-21

Disabled List
Yanti - teeth*

GO MANATEAMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

Janyne - glad your surgery is soon! Best thing to do is focus on doing your PT and healing up!!

Yanti - :D
New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2014 v.2 thread2 CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Rss Feed  

of 103

RELATED POSTS

Funked Up Triathletes - Season 2 - Olympic/Sprint Focus - Closed Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 27

Started by funkj25
Views: 42461 Posts: 669

2018-01-16 11:34 PM aviatrix802

Baowolf's Fun In the Sun Mentor Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30

Started by Baowolf
Views: 37497 Posts: 743

2015-03-16 2:42 AM scubabrad02

Manatee Monkey Mentors SHUT (Poptart or pet pic bribes considered) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 72906 Posts: 2488

2014-07-30 9:43 AM IndoIronYanti

Slornow and Wannabefaster's Summer Group-CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 51 52 53 54

Started by slornow
Views: 50564 Posts: 1331

2014-12-18 10:15 PM wannabefaster

Todd's Tri Turtles 3 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10K) Basically Closed Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23

Started by Hunting Triathlete
Views: 25788 Posts: 569

2014-12-14 7:18 PM cassowary
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 29, 2013
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 0
There are races to prepare for and health to be found and a lot of adventure and release to be sought in the oceans of the world.

date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.
date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.

date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 1
The closed fist drill will ensure that you are pulling with your entire hand and forearm.
date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.