BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2014 v.2 thread2 CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 103

2014-10-18 3:17 PM
in reply to: 4agoodlife

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Manatee Mentors 2014 v.2 thread2 CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?)

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, TOM!

2014-10-18 3:19 PM
in reply to: #5032558

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
Haha! No no, having Colorado's best pizza pie with Mary!
2014-10-18 3:19 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master

Originally posted by cdban66

Erin, what is your Instagram profile name????

I finally caved

ektclarke

2014-10-19 9:34 PM
in reply to: 4agoodlife

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Hey all!

Trying to now get back on board and follow as more than a lurker (no promises just yet, but trying!).  Been just able to get a few workouts in, but not really follow along as much as I'd like here.  It has been an awesome few months, though, so no complaints - it's just weird to not be racing for so long!

As I've said to a couple of you, I now feel like a triathlete rather than one who races triathlons (as racing used to be my reason for training, whereas now I'm truly happy with being able to enjoy running, swimming and occasionally biking).  I'm sure I'll get back into the racing side, but for now I'm having a great time running and swimming, mostly, in my new digs.

I hope you're all well (I do lurk, but haven't managed much more than that).  

I also want to take a moment to thank you all - your personalities and presence have been a huge support for me (even though I haven't been on here much lately) as we've moved and gotten into the swing of things here.  So, THANKS ALL!

OK - I hope to be around more in the coming months (but will have to see what the craziness level with the new job settles to).  I'll still be lurking either way!!

Matt

2014-10-19 9:39 PM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

Master
Northern IL

Hi Matt!

And I still don't like being labeled as a "triathlete" because I think it severely discounts how much I like all the other stuff these three sports are involved in. Both the other combinations and single sports.

2014-10-20 8:07 AM
in reply to: brigby1

Master
Northern IL

RR, though still hoping to get a few more pictures from the on course photographers over the next few days.

2014-10-20 8:46 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Dayton

Originally posted by 4agoodlife

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, TOM!

Thanks everyone!

Edited by ponderingfox 2014-10-20 8:47 AM
2014-10-20 8:49 AM
in reply to: ponderingfox

User image

Veteran
Dayton

I don't think I posted it here, but this last week I went to see an ortho.  My knee is still bothering me, and that's just not natural.  I finally decided to switch from giving it time to heal to getting some medical follow up.

The ortho thought that I might have a torn lateral meniscus in my right knee.  I have an MRI on Wednesday morning, and then a follow up visit with the ortho next week.  I really want to know what's going on, so I can move beyond it.  Injuries, we all know, are very frustrating.

2014-10-20 11:03 AM
in reply to: ponderingfox

User image

Denver, CO

Happy Monday, everybody!!

Hi, Matt.  Welcome back, or at least to the extent you can manage at this point!!  Glad to hear that you're enjoying just doing all the things that go into triathlon training even if you aren't racing at this point.

Ben, interesting comment about doing triathlons v. being a triathlete.  I'd never thought about it that way.  I've started thinking of myself as a triathlete because I've done a couple races but might have to rethink that.

Tom, it's good that you went to an ortho, even if the results might not be good news.  At least you'll know what's up and can start more targeted healing.  Hoping for the best and NO SURGERY.  We have enough of that going around!

Everybody, please keep Yanti and Mutti in your thoughts.  In case you haven't heard the latest, Mutti's in the hospital with severe pacreatitis and cholecystitis (gall stones) and may need surgery.  It's possible they'll be in Germany for several weeks.  As you can imagine, that's creating havoc with plans and causing all kinds of stress.

Anybody heard from Jonathan TN?  He's been kind of quiet these days and hasn't posted in his log for quite a while.

On an administrative note, I'm noticing that we're almost up to p. 97 in this thread plus we're past Summer now.  Should we start a new thread for Fall/Winter and open the group up again?  Yanti usually takes care of that but since she's out of pocket at the moment, I'm wondering if someone else can take care of that.  Thoughts?

2014-10-20 11:42 AM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Veteran
East Texas
Hey everyone! Ok I know it's been a long time. Things have been so crazy with alot of possible work location changes, new baby, marathon training, and kids Triathlon training. I've still logged in to glance at how everyone has been doing but haven't had a chance to post much. Thanks to those of you that still check in on me with inspires You all make my day

Ok update:

My precious daughter Meagan is doing great although has acid reflux and very colic so my wife is having a hard time with that. Those of you on facebook saw my 5yr old did his first Triathlon on Saturday. It was an amazing day. We trained for it with 8-9 other local kids and it's been a blast helping him prepare. He has watched me at every race and knew exactly what to do. This has inspired me to put on a local kids triathlon in my home city. It will take a lot of work but I am prepared for the task. I am also running for President of our local Triathlon club and will most likely be named Race Director for our local Triathlon of about 500 participants for 2015 so lots of Triathlon stuff happening.

I'm struggling with a hamstring issue that was caused from switching from my Tri bike to my Road bike and immediatly putting alot of miles. Since road bike is more hamstring based it's a over use injury that is causing some problems now. I'm seeing arrosti for it and hopefully will be on the mend soon. I am still doing my Marathon training and hope to be able to race in January.

I will update my Training Log with correct upcoming races.

I hope everyone is having a great start to the week!! I'll post more often....I promise
2014-10-20 12:01 PM
in reply to: #5032558

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
JJ I love that you want to do a kids race. We have a great local kids race. If you like I can get you on contact with the RD.

2014-10-20 12:27 PM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by laffinrock

Ben, interesting comment about doing triathlons v. being a triathlete.  I'd never thought about it that way.  I've started thinking of myself as a triathlete because I've done a couple races but might have to rethink that.

I've known a few too many who compartmentalize everyone into a few neatly labeled categories. Might help them in some ways, but also seems to prevent them from actually getting to know the person. I've been biking and running long before triathlon. Especially with a label like "triathlete", doing something outside of the label seems to confuse things even though I'm really just doing what I've always done.

On an administrative note, I'm noticing that we're almost up to p. 97 in this thread plus we're past Summer now.  Should we start a new thread for Fall/Winter and open the group up again?  Yanti usually takes care of that but since she's out of pocket at the moment, I'm wondering if someone else can take care of that.  Thoughts?

Eh, just let Yanti handle it. We've gone well past 100 before.

2014-10-20 1:26 PM

User image

Denver, CO

Awkward moment of the day:  I was standing talking with a coworker when my skirt just dropped to the floor.  I knew it was looser because I've lost weight due to all my training, but I had no idea it was THAT loose. Thank goodness it didn't happen 5 minutes earlier when I was talking with my boss!!!

2014-10-20 1:43 PM
in reply to: #5061436

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
Oh wow! So much for needing that goal shirt huh?
2014-10-20 1:51 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by rrrunner Oh wow! So much for needing that goal shirt huh?

No kidding!!

2014-10-20 2:48 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

Awkward moment of the day:  I was standing talking with a coworker when my skirt just dropped to the floor.  I knew it was looser because I've lost weight due to all my training, but I had no idea it was THAT loose. Thank goodness it didn't happen 5 minutes earlier when I was talking with my boss!!!

Flasher!

2014-10-20 2:52 PM

User image

Seattle

Hey guys, I'm back! Sort of. Trying not to drown.

I've got a lot on my plate and feel like I'm taking the 1 step forward, 12 steps back (especially as it applies to my running) it's been difficult to run as my breathing is a bit of a struggle. Although it's healing nicely, I've got an infection in the sinuses and nasal cavity (sorry TMI) and possible some nerve damage (I have a lazy eyelid at the moment) but my sight is not impaired (w00t!) so that is good! 

I raced Saturday despite the whole 12 steps back. It was difficult but I finished! Also our team won the meet. Yay! I'm hoping to be back to where I want to be but I guess I will continue to practice patience as this year (after a couple of surgeries) is shaping up to be the ultimate test.

Japan was absolutely amazing. Just amazing. So, I can't really complain. I'm just struggling a bit. 

I'll catch up at a snails pace but I just wanted to check in!

2014-10-20 3:46 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Melon Presser

Welcome back Salty and congrats!
IronTejas ... I think you're allowed to be a bit behind on reading and posting
HappyStoned ... LMAO. I needed that.

Thanks all so much for your concern and good thoughts.

Warning: RANT ON (feel free to skip to the THANKS ON section) in no order and bullet pointed

- it's clear two more of my teeth will need root canals burning through painkillers like crazy here but have to alive awake and ON.
- despite super super precautions (damn hard when person you're caring for is pooping and spewing everywhere on everything) Tina and I both have pinkeye as well now
- horrible cough that even the codeine I'm taking for my teeth doesn't put a dent in it

- Stuttgart is at nearly 100% capacity for rentals--Tina and I are on our 5th roach motel and I really mean literally roaches. We're also carrying huge bags around 'cause don't want to leave valuables in rooms. Trying to look up directions every day for a bunch of routes we've never taken when half the time our electronics don't work (between us we can usually get on the Internet, send/receive SMSs and phone calls--but we only can do that put together, both of us can't do it most of the time on our devices and connections). Oh and we're paying around 140 Euros a night for places that usually go 30-40 (gives you an idea of quality) Haven't gotten a full night (or even half a full night) of sleep yet, last room was right in the middle of the bar/club main drag

- Every major form of transportation has been going through strikes here ... we had to do a serious song and dance and get medical certificate from hospital to extend our rental car

- we're going to have to pay all of Mutti's (not to mention our ongoing expenses) up front in cash. She does have insurance (requirement for visa) but the ONLY insurance we could get for an 81-year-old with heart and multiple other problems is on reimbursement. So we're trying to find a way to get all the money/credit together in a way that doesn't kill our personal tax or company financial profile.

- Tina has to try to extend her visa here and she'll probably need to fly to Berlin--and possibly stay there while extension is granted. However, since Lufthansa is on strike, all other carriers are overbooked and the fees are astronomical.

RANT OFF

THANKS ON

- Mutti is a super trooper and has gone from critical/stable to stable/closely monitored. She was ON FIRE and clear as a bell today, no sign of dementia AT ALL which means she's in better shape than she's been for 7-8 years!
- The hospital is beyond amazing. I have never seen that level of care and attention anywhere in the world. Families are included and treated if necessary. As I said before, both of us were offered treatment. We also filled out extensive questionnaires on both her health & history and ours--and that information is BEING PAID ATTENTION TO AND USED.

- She has also had psychologists and a pastor come as well, to make sure that her outlook and whatever spirituality she likes are also strengthened (which helps physical healing). Everything is clean as a whistle. All the staff communicate with each other and know her and us as well. (And we see them do this for every patient). And it's QUIET PEACEFUL RESTFUL. What hospital do you know (with the possible exception of some hospices) ...

... if the paramedics had taken her when we called them, or if first a-hole doctor had done anything at all or had her admitted, she would have gone to the big general hospital instead. We, and she, are SO GRATEFUL she is at Bethesda. The staff seem really happy there and love their jobs and are super respectful to each other and the patients.

- She will receive physical/occupational therapy to get her walking and moving and self-care (strong again) BEFORE she's released

- the weather (we were prepared for winterpocalypse, especially in Northern Germany) has been SO WARM. We're out there in T-shirts just like everyone else most days!

- we do have/can get the money and credit we need. It's not easy and endless bureaucracy, but thank God we do have it.

There is no thanks off. The thanks will go on.

2014-10-20 3:46 PM

User image

Veteran
East Texas

Lol, that's funny
2014-10-20 3:50 PM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

User image

Veteran
East Texas
Good to hear from ya Yanti. Sorry about all the craziness you've dealt with lately.
2014-10-20 3:57 PM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

Yanti,

Continuing to pray for Mutti as well as for you and Tina in the midst.

2014-10-20 4:20 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Now that's funny!

2014-10-20 4:21 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by Asalzwed

Hey guys, I'm back! Sort of. Trying not to drown.

I've got a lot on my plate and feel like I'm taking the 1 step forward, 12 steps back (especially as it applies to my running) it's been difficult to run as my breathing is a bit of a struggle. Although it's healing nicely, I've got an infection in the sinuses and nasal cavity (sorry TMI) and possible some nerve damage (I have a lazy eyelid at the moment) but my sight is not impaired (w00t!) so that is good! 

I raced Saturday despite the whole 12 steps back. It was difficult but I finished! Also our team won the meet. Yay! I'm hoping to be back to where I want to be but I guess I will continue to practice patience as this year (after a couple of surgeries) is shaping up to be the ultimate test.

Japan was absolutely amazing. Just amazing. So, I can't really complain. I'm just struggling a bit. 

I'll catch up at a snails pace but I just wanted to check in!

welcome back!  Sorry you are having such a hard time, but thank goodness your sight is unaffected!!

Glad Japan was amazing.

2014-10-20 4:22 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by IndoIronYanti

Welcome back Salty and congrats!
IronTejas ... I think you're allowed to be a bit behind on reading and posting
HappyStoned ... LMAO. I needed that.

Thanks all so much for your concern and good thoughts.

Warning: RANT ON (feel free to skip to the THANKS ON section) in no order and bullet pointed

- it's clear two more of my teeth will need root canals burning through painkillers like crazy here but have to alive awake and ON.
- despite super super precautions (damn hard when person you're caring for is pooping and spewing everywhere on everything) Tina and I both have pinkeye as well now
- horrible cough that even the codeine I'm taking for my teeth doesn't put a dent in it

- Stuttgart is at nearly 100% capacity for rentals--Tina and I are on our 5th roach motel and I really mean literally roaches. We're also carrying huge bags around 'cause don't want to leave valuables in rooms. Trying to look up directions every day for a bunch of routes we've never taken when half the time our electronics don't work (between us we can usually get on the Internet, send/receive SMSs and phone calls--but we only can do that put together, both of us can't do it most of the time on our devices and connections). Oh and we're paying around 140 Euros a night for places that usually go 30-40 (gives you an idea of quality) Haven't gotten a full night (or even half a full night) of sleep yet, last room was right in the middle of the bar/club main drag

- Every major form of transportation has been going through strikes here ... we had to do a serious song and dance and get medical certificate from hospital to extend our rental car

- we're going to have to pay all of Mutti's (not to mention our ongoing expenses) up front in cash. She does have insurance (requirement for visa) but the ONLY insurance we could get for an 81-year-old with heart and multiple other problems is on reimbursement. So we're trying to find a way to get all the money/credit together in a way that doesn't kill our personal tax or company financial profile.

- Tina has to try to extend her visa here and she'll probably need to fly to Berlin--and possibly stay there while extension is granted. However, since Lufthansa is on strike, all other carriers are overbooked and the fees are astronomical.

RANT OFF

THANKS ON

- Mutti is a super trooper and has gone from critical/stable to stable/closely monitored. She was ON FIRE and clear as a bell today, no sign of dementia AT ALL which means she's in better shape than she's been for 7-8 years!
- The hospital is beyond amazing. I have never seen that level of care and attention anywhere in the world. Families are included and treated if necessary. As I said before, both of us were offered treatment. We also filled out extensive questionnaires on both her health & history and ours--and that information is BEING PAID ATTENTION TO AND USED.

- She has also had psychologists and a pastor come as well, to make sure that her outlook and whatever spirituality she likes are also strengthened (which helps physical healing). Everything is clean as a whistle. All the staff communicate with each other and know her and us as well. (And we see them do this for every patient). And it's QUIET PEACEFUL RESTFUL. What hospital do you know (with the possible exception of some hospices) ...

... if the paramedics had taken her when we called them, or if first a-hole doctor had done anything at all or had her admitted, she would have gone to the big general hospital instead. We, and she, are SO GRATEFUL she is at Bethesda. The staff seem really happy there and love their jobs and are super respectful to each other and the patients.

- She will receive physical/occupational therapy to get her walking and moving and self-care (strong again) BEFORE she's released

- the weather (we were prepared for winterpocalypse, especially in Northern Germany) has been SO WARM. We're out there in T-shirts just like everyone else most days!

- we do have/can get the money and credit we need. It's not easy and endless bureaucracy, but thank God we do have it.

There is no thanks off. The thanks will go on.

So sorry to hear of all the ranty stuff!  Yay to all the thankful stuff!!  

2014-10-20 4:55 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Denver, CO

Dearest Yanti, you have been through the mill, sucked through backwards, then sent through again!  I know it's likely remote, but is there any possibility you can get your teeth taken care of while you're there?  And can you get that cough treated?  Sounds like it might be bronchitis or something.  The last thing you need is pneumonia!!

As for your housing situation, I have 2 thoughts:  (a) the hospital might have some resources like a hostel or other help for families needing emergency housing and (b) I'll bet somebody in the tri community would put you up or knows somebody who can.  I don't know if you have any tri friends in Germany, but if you do, I'm sure they'd be able to at least get the word out, if not actively help you find something.  For that matter, you might just throw a post on the boards here and ST and see what shakes loose.  Somebody has to know somebody who can help.

You may not be looking for problem-solving, so of course, feel free to ignore the above suggestions.  Please don't ignore this though:  I'm thinking of you, Tina and Mutti lots and sending lots of positive and healing energy your way.  (((BIG HUGS))) from a safe distance.

(Glad you got a laugh out of my wardrobe malfunction.  I've been laughing about it all day.)

ETA:  someone from northern Germany *just* joined BT.  She's in the intro section.  She might know somebody who knows somebody.

Edited by laffinrock 2014-10-20 4:58 PM
New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2014 v.2 thread2 CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Rss Feed  

of 103

RELATED POSTS

Funked Up Triathletes - Season 2 - Olympic/Sprint Focus - Closed Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 27

Started by funkj25
Views: 42079 Posts: 669

2018-01-16 11:34 PM aviatrix802

Baowolf's Fun In the Sun Mentor Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30

Started by Baowolf
Views: 37211 Posts: 743

2015-03-16 2:42 AM scubabrad02

Manatee Monkey Mentors SHUT (Poptart or pet pic bribes considered) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 72636 Posts: 2488

2014-07-30 9:43 AM IndoIronYanti

Slornow and Wannabefaster's Summer Group-CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 51 52 53 54

Started by slornow
Views: 50205 Posts: 1331

2014-12-18 10:15 PM wannabefaster

Todd's Tri Turtles 3 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10K) Basically Closed Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23

Started by Hunting Triathlete
Views: 25574 Posts: 569

2014-12-14 7:18 PM cassowary
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 29, 2013
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 0
There are races to prepare for and health to be found and a lot of adventure and release to be sought in the oceans of the world.

date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.
date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.

date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 1
The closed fist drill will ensure that you are pulling with your entire hand and forearm.
date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.