BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2014 v.2 thread2 CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 103

2014-08-28 1:10 PM
in reply to: JJ-

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
Subject: RE: Manatee Mentors 2014 v.2 thread2 CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?)

Originally posted by JJ- Hotter'n Hell Hundred: Report For my new Texas friends and anyone else around the country that might be interested in coming down for this ride it really is a great event. Lining up at the start line with 12,000+ other cyclist is a sight to see. At 7:00am the cannon fired and .....we sat there.....and waited....and waited...and waited.... Apparently it takes a long time for everyone just to get to the start line. We were about 3-4k people back and it took about 10 minutes from the canon before we even began to move. It was another 5 minutes before we crossed the start line. I rode this with our local tour team and our goal was to ride it at a moderate pace. Not too fast for the slower riders but not so slow that it would be dinner time when we finished. We started out forming a pace line and passed hundreds of cyclist as we made our way out into the flat hot dry lands of Wichita Falls. We stopped at aid stations every 20 miles and the aid stations are phenomenal! More food and drinks that you can possible handle and staffed with highly energetic friendly volunteers. They filled your bottles with huge buckets filled with water or powerade. By mile 50 we were averaging about 20 mph so we were making good time but one of our tour team members began to bonk bad. We decided that we would all stay with her and get her to the finish. By mile 60 we had slowed way down and began literally pushing her. By mile 80 we were stopping at every medical tent trying to cool her down and by mile 92 we had to put her on the medical van to be sagged out. It was sad after the whole day but there was no way she could even steer the bike anymore with us pushing. So Overall Thoughts: The ride is a great ride. Sure it's a little warm (my Garmin read 110+) however it's manageable with all the aid stations. It was very well put on and I think it's one that anyone close should do. We had a blast and partied the whole weekend.

Awesome that you stayed with her for so long. Congrats on a great ride!

2014-08-28 2:06 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Master
Orlando
Originally posted by rrrunner

Originally posted by JJ- Hotter'n Hell Hundred: Report For my new Texas friends and anyone else around the country that might be interested in coming down for this ride it really is a great event. Lining up at the start line with 12,000+ other cyclist is a sight to see. At 7:00am the cannon fired and .....we sat there.....and waited....and waited...and waited.... Apparently it takes a long time for everyone just to get to the start line. We were about 3-4k people back and it took about 10 minutes from the canon before we even began to move. It was another 5 minutes before we crossed the start line. I rode this with our local tour team and our goal was to ride it at a moderate pace. Not too fast for the slower riders but not so slow that it would be dinner time when we finished. We started out forming a pace line and passed hundreds of cyclist as we made our way out into the flat hot dry lands of Wichita Falls. We stopped at aid stations every 20 miles and the aid stations are phenomenal! More food and drinks that you can possible handle and staffed with highly energetic friendly volunteers. They filled your bottles with huge buckets filled with water or powerade. By mile 50 we were averaging about 20 mph so we were making good time but one of our tour team members began to bonk bad. We decided that we would all stay with her and get her to the finish. By mile 60 we had slowed way down and began literally pushing her. By mile 80 we were stopping at every medical tent trying to cool her down and by mile 92 we had to put her on the medical van to be sagged out. It was sad after the whole day but there was no way she could even steer the bike anymore with us pushing. So Overall Thoughts: The ride is a great ride. Sure it's a little warm (my Garmin read 110+) however it's manageable with all the aid stations. It was very well put on and I think it's one that anyone close should do. We had a blast and partied the whole weekend.

Agreed!
2014-08-28 2:46 PM
in reply to: IronOx

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by IronOx

Originally posted by laffinrock

Originally posted by melbo55

Originally posted by jbwills

I am a few pages behind, 10 ish. But wanted to pop in say HI and let you know how my race went today. The "Never Quit 5k" actually 3.5 went well. Finished in 26:34 average of 7:36 PPM. This is my fastest run so far over here. I am quiet pleased. RR will follow, along with updating my training log.

Roughly 2 weeks left in Afghanistan!

YES!!!!  Numerous things to smile about in this post.  Way to go, Jonathan, so exciting you're counting just 2 short weeks until your return to the US!

So much awesomeness!!!

^^^^^^^^.  This!  Come home safe, and thank you for your service Jonathan.

Been meaning to comment on this. Thank you soooo much for serving over there. We are all looking forward to when you will be on US soil!

2014-08-28 3:21 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by amd723

Agreed!

Sounds like a fun ride, if one that requires heat tolerance training as well as the usual riding work.  Hope your teammate is okay.  What a bummer for her to come so close to finishing!

2014-08-28 3:47 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

Holy Hotter'n Hell, indeed!  Sorry to hear about your teammate not going the full distance but it's really uplifting to hear of the group's efforts to keep her in the game and stay together.  Congrats!

2014-08-28 4:21 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Hey all. Kinda crazy 'round here. I'm keeping up via email, just not responding much.

Me too, I'm finally home from a work conference that started Monday. We've been here unpacking and such for about an hour when the phone rang and TW took off. Her mom is headed to the hospital in an ambulance and I have no clue why. I'd be grateful for anyone that is inclined to pray or think good thoughts or any such thing.

2014-08-28 4:32 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by cdban66

Hey all. Kinda crazy 'round here. I'm keeping up via email, just not responding much.

Me too, I'm finally home from a work conference that started Monday. We've been here unpacking and such for about an hour when the phone rang and TW took off. Her mom is headed to the hospital in an ambulance and I have no clue why. I'd be grateful for anyone that is inclined to pray or think good thoughts or any such thing.

oh no Chris!  Definitely will say a pray and think good thoughts!

2014-08-28 4:33 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Consider it done!

2014-08-28 4:43 PM

User image

Master

prayers, good thoughts, and all kinds of such things. hope you get some info soon!
2014-08-28 5:22 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California

Originally posted by jmkizer

Originally posted by Artemis

Jen, great job with the running!  Have a good one tonight!

I feel like I'm mostly miserable.  I'm so so exhausted.  Stupid thyroid.

{{hugs}} I hope that the meds get that under control soon :-(  It's been too long!

Had blood drawn yesterday.  Just waiting to hear from my endo.

In all honesty, I can't run today.  I can barely stay awake right now and I'm fighting off a migraine.  I did manage to take a walk at lunch today, so I'm calling that my run for today.  It sucks.

2014-08-28 5:25 PM
in reply to: Artemis

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

{{hugs}} I hope that the meds get that under control soon :-(  It's been too long!

In all honesty, I can't run today.  I can barely stay awake right now and I'm fighting off a migraine.  I did manage to take a walk at lunch today, so I'm calling that my run for today.  It sucks.

Hope you get it sorted out quickly. Your lunch "run" sounds like the right session for the day. {{HUGS}}

2014-08-28 5:42 PM

User image

Denver, CO

Hope you get it sorted out quickly. Your lunch "run" sounds like the right session for the day. {{HUGS}}

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^This.  Huge kudos on getting out there at lunch today!!  I'm not sure I'd have managed even that.  Hang in there, friend.

2014-08-28 6:08 PM

User image

Master

Prayers and good thoughts absolutely sent Chris.  

2014-08-28 6:09 PM

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California

Hope your team member is ok!  Sounds like she had some serious heat stroke.

I don't know if I would sign up for that just based on name alone.  

2014-08-28 6:24 PM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Chris I hope you get some good news about your mother in law soon.

Jen I hope they get your meds sorted out and that you feel better quickly.

Jonathan I'm glad to hear that you are heading home soon, stay safe until then.

Jonathan I hope your team mate is getting better and good on you guys for the encouragement and sticking with her.
2014-08-28 9:13 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Aw Jen, I wish there was something that we could do to help you. I'm keeping you in my thoughts and prayers. 

2014-08-28 9:32 PM

User image

Master

Sorry Jen.  It's one thing to not want to work out; it quite another to not be able to.  Hope things get worked out quickly and your head calms down.

2014-08-28 11:29 PM

User image

Elite
A huge shout out to my swim coach John Van Wisse who smashed the Enduroman record this morning.

Ran - Marble Arch London to Dover 140km 15.57 In fact did 5km extra as his guide got lost....

Woke up sick as a dog and swam the English Channel 40km - in near hurricane conditions. No other swimmer was permitted to cross the channel this week, only his history of crossings allowed him to do so. 12.31 (John usually gets across in around 9 hours) Nearly gave up three or four times.

Rode from Calais to Paris - L'Arc de Triomphe - 290km Ate McDonalds Big Mac and Fries on the ride

Total time 61.34 knocking a 12.12.12 off the previous record holder. All done on 4 hours sleep.

So so proud.
2014-08-29 7:26 AM
in reply to: jobaxas

User image

Melon Presser

Originally posted by jobaxas A huge shout out to my swim coach John Van Wisse who smashed the Enduroman record this morning. Ran - Marble Arch London to Dover 140km 15.57 In fact did 5km extra as his guide got lost.... Woke up sick as a dog and swam the English Channel 40km - in near hurricane conditions. No other swimmer was permitted to cross the channel this week, only his history of crossings allowed him to do so. 12.31 (John usually gets across in around 9 hours) Nearly gave up three or four times. Rode from Calais to Paris - L'Arc de Triomphe - 290km Ate McDonalds Big Mac and Fries on the ride Total time 61.34 knocking a 12.12.12 off the previous record holder. All done on 4 hours sleep. So so proud.

I saw that was watching his progress and sooooo excited when you FB'ed me! WOOHOO!

Kingsley posted a link to me as well. I know that bald bony little head of his and I bet he's gonna try it within 5yrs. Except he swore he'd never swim the Channel b/c it's too cold. But it's impossible to talk him out of something once's he's got it in his head.

2014-08-29 7:34 AM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

User image

Melon Presser

And once again my life and all my plans get riotously tossed up in the air like so much confetti (I'd rather have spaghetti ... )

Anyway I have to leave the country for at least 7 working days for legal reasons. And I have to leave NOW (that is first thing tomorrow morning). So I get to see Kingsley! Yay!

And freeze my butt off with STACE FACE this Sunday in the 12K ... yay! (I'm going to cycle to her house. It's on top of a hill. A 10K hill. JOY)

I get back, do a multi-city Indonesian whirlwind (all while still training for IM Malaysia, a couple training races in that time too) then hopefully don't die at IMM, then two days after I get back it's off to Germany with Mutti for 3 weeks.

I'm tired just writing all this!

2014-08-29 10:04 AM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by IndoIronYanti

And once again my life and all my plans get riotously tossed up in the air like so much confetti (I'd rather have spaghetti ... )

Anyway I have to leave the country for at least 7 working days for legal reasons. And I have to leave NOW (that is first thing tomorrow morning). So I get to see Kingsley! Yay!

And freeze my butt off with STACE FACE this Sunday in the 12K ... yay! (I'm going to cycle to her house. It's on top of a hill. A 10K hill. JOY)

I get back, do a multi-city Indonesian whirlwind (all while still training for IM Malaysia, a couple training races in that time too) then hopefully don't die at IMM, then two days after I get back it's off to Germany with Mutti for 3 weeks.

Craziness is par for the course in your life Glad you get to see Kingley AND Stacey!!!!!!!!!!! Double Win!!! DS2 had to do the quick travel out of the country thing once in a while when he was in China.

Your trip to Germany with Mutti is going to be awesome. Such a blessing for her, and hopefully for you.

Glad you are trying to stay on track for IMM. Yet another chance to stalk you to the finish line!

2014-08-29 10:15 AM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Sooooo, I can't keep the "secret" from you all any longer. There is a very real possibility that we will be moving back to our beloved Colorado!

The story goes something like this... Early last week there was an "announcement" (that's what they call job openings in the gubment) for agents in both Grand Junction and Durango, Colorado. DH and I discussed it very briefly because we figured this is NOT a good time to move with DS2 being in limbo and all. So while we were passing through Durango on our way to see the UPC last week we again, very briefly, discussed how Durango is a nice place to visit but we wouldn't want to live there (too much snow, too exensive). As we were up closer to Grand Junction we had so much fun being "home" (we left the area 10 years ago when we were transferred to Omaha) and we enjoyed the fresh produce the area has to offer. Well speed forward to this last Monday. I recieved an email from the Special Agent in Charge of the Denver Field Office (that's kinda high up, two levels above me and two levels below the commisioner) asking me to consider putting in for the announcement. GULP! So I responded to him (after gramme/spell checking a gazillion times) with what I thought were the barriers to moving (ie DS2 and the fact that the gubment just moved me to Santa Fe 4 years ago). Well after a couple of back and forth emails he CALLED!!!!!!!!!!!!! We discussed it a bit and I told him I would talk with DH. So after lotsa talking and info from a realtor friend of ours we decided to put in for the Grand Junction spot. When I told my boss about it he had quite the impressed look on his face and said if Steve (the SAC of Denver) wants me it's as good as done. Well, I'm not counting on that but my paperwork is on its way to Denver. And now we wait. And panic and try to get the house ready to sell. 

2014-08-29 10:20 AM

User image

Master

Sooooo, I can't keep the "secret" from you all any longer. There is a very real possibility that we will be moving back to our beloved Colorado!

The story goes something like this... Early last week there was an "announcement" (that's what they call job openings in the gubment) for agents in both Grand Junction and Durango, Colorado. DH and I discussed it very briefly because we figured this is NOT a good time to move with DS2 being in limbo and all. So while we were passing through Durango on our way to see the UPC last week we again, very briefly, discussed how Durango is a nice place to visit but we wouldn't want to live there (too much snow, too exensive). As we were up closer to Grand Junction we had so much fun being "home" (we left the area 10 years ago when we were transferred to Omaha) and we enjoyed the fresh produce the area has to offer. Well speed forward to this last Monday. I recieved an email from the Special Agent in Charge of the Denver Field Office (that's kinda high up, two levels above me and two levels below the commisioner) asking me to consider putting in for the announcement. GULP! So I responded to him (after gramme/spell checking a gazillion times) with what I thought were the barriers to moving (ie DS2 and the fact that the gubment just moved me to Santa Fe 4 years ago). Well after a couple of back and forth emails he CALLED!!!!!!!!!!!!! We discussed it a bit and I told him I would talk with DH. So after lotsa talking and info from a realtor friend of ours we decided to put in for the Grand Junction spot. When I told my boss about it he had quite the impressed look on his face and said if Steve (the SAC of Denver) wants me it's as good as done. Well, I'm not counting on that but my paperwork is on its way to Denver. And now we wait. And panic and try to get the house ready to sell. 

Great stuff, TJ!!  Fingers crossed for you.

2014-08-29 10:49 AM

User image

Master

Holy Schmokes! You don't mess around. Lol. Good luck...with all of it!
2014-08-29 10:53 AM

User image

Master
Originally posted by IndoIronYanti

You wouldn't know what to do with yourself if life wasn't a whirlwind of riotous confetti with meatballs
New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2014 v.2 thread2 CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Rss Feed  

of 103

RELATED POSTS

Funked Up Triathletes - Season 2 - Olympic/Sprint Focus - Closed Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 27

Started by funkj25
Views: 42061 Posts: 669

2018-01-16 11:34 PM aviatrix802

Baowolf's Fun In the Sun Mentor Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30

Started by Baowolf
Views: 37196 Posts: 743

2015-03-16 2:42 AM scubabrad02

Manatee Monkey Mentors SHUT (Poptart or pet pic bribes considered) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 72635 Posts: 2488

2014-07-30 9:43 AM IndoIronYanti

Slornow and Wannabefaster's Summer Group-CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 51 52 53 54

Started by slornow
Views: 50187 Posts: 1331

2014-12-18 10:15 PM wannabefaster

Todd's Tri Turtles 3 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10K) Basically Closed Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23

Started by Hunting Triathlete
Views: 25569 Posts: 569

2014-12-14 7:18 PM cassowary
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 29, 2013
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 0
There are races to prepare for and health to be found and a lot of adventure and release to be sought in the oceans of the world.

date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.
date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.

date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 1
The closed fist drill will ensure that you are pulling with your entire hand and forearm.
date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.