United States
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 57m 17s
Overall Rank = 27/950
Age Group = M50-54
Age Group Rank = 1/52
Pre-race routine:

After a long day of travel on Friday we were up early for the 20 minute drive to the race site. Usual pre race morning meal. Ensure, Pop Tarts and a few peanut butter crackers while setting up. First race of the doubleheader scheduled for the Team.
Event warmup:

Did a warm up run with a few strides and a warm up swim
Swim
  • 07m 48s
  • 440 yards
  • 01m 46s / 100 yards
Comments:

Not my favorite type of start as things got crowded quickly at the first buoy. I felt calm throughout. May have been a bit wide on the leg parallel to the beach. Felt very controlled. Ran into prior wave about halfway through and that slowed things down
What would you do differently?:

Push harder? Certainly could have increased speed but it was hard to find much open water to push pace
Transition 1
  • 03m 15s
Comments:

It was a long run, maybe 250-300 yards from the beach to T1. I ran pretty hard to make up some time but when I got to my spot my helmet had been knocked off my bike and I had trouble getting it snapped as the straps were tangled. I gave up 10-15 seconds to the good T1 times.

Show more of a sense of urgency. Can't help that hemet was on the ground. I was in the last wave and those things happen.
Bike
  • 22m 57s
  • 10 miles
  • 26.14 mile/hr
Comments:

Course was super crowded and there were several times I had to soft pedal while waiting for riders to move to the right. I stayed to the left pretty much the whole way. Felt pretty good. Surprised my time was top ten overall. Was shooting to be in 260watt range. Just before hitting transition I was 250/254. Not bad considering the seconds I lost pedalling easy while waiting to pass.

Be in an earlier wave? This is a fast course and could be crushed with an open road ahead.
Transition 2
  • 00m 55s
Comments:

Not too bad

Could have been a little smoother coming off the bike at the dismount line
Run
  • 22m 17s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 07m 11s  min/mile
Comments:

This was a slog. Hot and humid. Splits ended up being 6:45/7:00/7:00 and 6:17 over the last .25 miles. Running on the beach and the trail was both mentally and physically taxing. It was a tough run and times were slow across the board

I didn't feel like I was mentally strong on the run. I started rationalizing that I should hold back something for the race that night. I didn't hold back anything....I just didn't have much "go" in me. I did feel marginally better after seeing that the run was long and times in general were slow
Post race
Warm down:

They had several inflatable pools in the post race area with cold water. Found one with 2-3 teammates in it and climbed in....it was amazing. Eventually went for a short run to shakeout the legs for the next race.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Heat, humidity and being in the last wave. All things I can't control. Just have to push through and be strong. Initially I was dissappointed with my performance but after looking at results I feel better. My teammate bumped up to masters (over 40) win (he's 54) so I got 1st in AG. Turns out I had 2nd fastest finish in masters so another factor that makes me feel my performance was better than initially thought.

Event comments:

Race was really well done. Good post race food and awards ceremony. Lots of really strong racers in the area so the race was really competitive.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2014-07-15 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:07:48 | 440 yards | 01m 46s / 100yards
Age Group: 3/52
Overall: 0/950
Performance: Average
Suit: Team tri shorts
Course: Beach start to first buoy then slight veer to the right to next buoy. Left turn for leg parallel to the beach. Another left turn then onto the beach
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 85F / 29C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 03:15
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:22:57 | 10 miles | 26.14 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/52
Overall: 8/950
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: Out and back on closed highway in Ft. Desoto.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 91
Turns: Good Cornering:
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:55
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:22:17 | 03.1 miles | 07m 11s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/52
Overall: 36/950
Performance: Average
Course: First 1.5 on pavement trail. Then turn onto the beach for several hundred yards. Then onto sandy trail. Back on the pavement with about 1/3 mile to go. Course was 3.25 miles
Keeping cool Below average Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2014-07-30 6:55 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama
Subject: Top Gun

2014-07-30 8:36 PM
in reply to: #5032979

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Subject: RE: Top Gun
Looking good on top of that podium.

Very nice.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Top Gun Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Top Gun Tri

Started by DJP1812
Views: 1271 Posts: 3

2006-08-08 3:18 PM DJP1812

Top Gun Triathlon

Started by tcodol
Views: 1183 Posts: 1

2006-08-06 8:36 AM tcodol

Top Gun Triathlon

Started by jimmy raybon
Views: 1118 Posts: 2

2006-08-05 2:07 PM sue7013

Top Gun

Started by corant28
Views: 1593 Posts: 4

2005-08-14 8:48 PM Lucy

Top Gun

Started by renegadebuddhacoach
Views: 1614 Posts: 5

2005-08-06 9:42 PM cadreamer
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 21, 2012
author : AMSSM
comments : 1
My foot is now in a tremendous amount of pain, it is swollen, and I can barely walk on it at all, it hurts so much. I am still putting the gel on, taking anti inflammatories, and icing. Help!

date : January 9, 2010
author : FitWerx
comments : 0
Does a degree or two difference between two frames(head and/or seat tube) really make that much of a difference when it comes to fit?
date : August 24, 2009
I sometimes have severe pains on the top of my left foot. It feels like a knife is stabbing my inner foot on the outer portion of my foot. These pains happen mainly at night but not while riding.

date : January 27, 2009
author : Tri Swim Coach
Discussions on swimming post surgery, straight arm recovery, the top 3 errors in stroke technique, importance of kicking, swimming like a barge and swim golf for further improvement.
date : December 4, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
Discussion on how to properly kick, sculling, the 3/4 catch-up drill, hand entry mechanics and the utility of using fins, buoys, paddles and kick board. PLUS the top pool mistake.

date : February 21, 2008
author : mrakes1
Discussions on Ironman training and weightloss, multivitamins, whey protein, fish oil, nightime workouts and bedtime eating, long swim recovery nutrition, and the 3 top nutrition mistakes.
date : August 7, 2007
Yesterday I ran 10 miles. At mile 7 it started feeling sore. At mile 9.5 I got a shooting pain and walked the last 1/2 mile. I have a half Ironman to do in a week and a half. What are my chances?