General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Vacation training Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-07-31 9:26 AM

User image

Subject: Vacation training
So my wife and I are taking our 5 kids to the beach for a week...3 weeks before my first HIM. I'm looking forward to running and ocean swimming, will probably be hitting the local Y to do my rides on stationary bike, but not too concerned there. My question is whether it is a good /horrible idea to run on the beach to enjoy the setting or if I'm risking injury by changing to sand runs. Anyone with more experience than me that can offer insight/advice?

2014-07-31 10:14 AM
in reply to: djmikula

Subject: RE: Vacation training
Running on sand is a great change of pace. If your concern is the risk of injury, I would try to run closer to the water where the sand is a little more hard packed. I personally run without sneaks on the baech to enjoy the feeling, but I'm sure others will chime in. Have fun and good luck in your first HIM.
2014-07-31 10:23 AM

User image

Master
Minnetonka, Minnesota
Bronze member
I injured my calf while running on the beach in soft sand about 10 years ago, but I am prone to tight calves, etc. I have done it many times since without issue and just have been more careful with warming up by walking and trying to run on harder sand closer to the water. Running on a steep angle can cause issues too, so be mindful. I would do it and enjoy the beach, just don't OVER do it.
2014-07-31 11:30 AM
in reply to: ejshowers

Regular
Apple Valley, Minnesota
I was on vacation and running on dirt roads in the woods, It was basically trail running. It was great less impact and a change of pace and no traffic the only issue was a fly hatch.
2014-07-31 12:17 PM
in reply to: GotBackup

User image

2X on beware the steep angles. That can be hard on ankles and knees. And start with a shorter run and see how it feels. It will definitely work some areas that you aren't used to. You don't need to do that so close to your race.

I am on the East Coast so everything around our beaches is flat. I love riding my bike there. Maybe you can rent one instead of being stuck in a gym. It is always fun to get in some runs and rides when you are in a new place.

Jim
2014-07-31 10:35 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
I would stick to shorter runs (15-20 minutes or less) or parts of runs, and try to run in the more packed sand and more level areas, to minimize risk of injury. When I was running at a sub-elite level in my youth, we did some training on sand, but mainly short repeats (100m or so) on the beach, and power work up dunes, not long runs on the sand. It will definitely work some different muscles! I might skip it if you have a history of calf, Achilles, or foot problems.

And be careful of that ocean, esp. if you haven't swum in it much. I lived in Hawaii for two years and did a lot of OWS and body surfing, but made the mistake on a recent vacation of going in when the surf was unusually high. I decided the break was getting too rough for swimming and decided to make my way back to the beach; was maybe 10 meters away when I got thrown onto the beach by a big one. I was flipped completely upside down and bruised several ribs hitting the sand on my side; was really lucky that I wasn't knocked unconscious or injured my neck or back.

2014-08-01 8:06 AM
in reply to: #5033163

User image

Running in sand is harder than running on pavement because you push down into the sand and it gives. Also, you have to lift harder to pull your foot up out of the sand. Yes, obvious statements.

It can be a great workout. People run in sand all the time. Buuuut:

Like others have said it is easy to strain a calf running in sand.

Also, if your shoes don't offer enough mid- support (ie newtons - not knocking them - they are super flexible) it is easy to twist/strain muscles in your foot and/or ankle.

So, this close to your race be cautious. Maybe do the bulk of your run on a boardwalk and then a 10- minute cool down barefoot at the edge of the surf?
2014-08-01 10:37 AM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

I live five minutes from the beach, but seldom run there.  I enjoy the beach, but I've had chronic Achilles problems and running on sand can aggravate it.

As other have mentioned, when I do run on the beach I try to stay on the packed sand close to the edge of the water (running at low tide is best).  I also wear an older pair of shoes that I don't mind getting wet.

If I have to run through deep, soft sand then I lift my knees and use a really short stride.

Hope you enjoy your vacation.

Mark

2014-08-01 2:13 PM
in reply to: miamiamy

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan

I do my running on the beach when we hit the ocean for spring break and wear my shoes, mainly because of the shells... And as others have said, if the angle is steep where the packed sand is, it's not worth it... This close to your race you could almost consider it a taper and enjoy the vacation and the rest...

However I know it's not easy to miss workouts, so maybe 2-3 miles on the pavement/boardwalk would help your mind relax about not losing fitness...

Just my two cents.. I've taken a lot of vacations around race schedules and never had an issue with lighter training...I was actually raring to go when I got home and back to the norm...

The other thing is make sure you enjoy the family time, my kids are much older now and the opportunities to vacation with them are few and far between....

2014-08-01 3:37 PM
in reply to: TriMike

User image

I've never enjoyed running on sand because of the angle. It's worse than the cant of a road.

But I'm sure there are lots of places near the water you can run.

When I go on vacation, running is the one thing I know I can pretty much anywhere.
2014-08-02 12:01 PM

User image

Champion

Everybody is spot on for this thread.  I was at Cocoa beach for some family vacation a few weeks ago and did a little beach running a few days just for 'maintenance' and to enjoy the ocean.  They key is to keep it much shorter than a normal short run...I was doing 10 minutes and that was it.    Break it up with walking.  It's a totally different feel of running but a great 'strength and stabiltiy' workout for your entire foot/ankle complex - something which we usually don't get from pounding the pavement.  If people could do 1 short beach run a week, I think our feet would be a lot healthier.

2014-08-02 10:48 PM
in reply to: Ron

User image

Be mindfull of jelly fish and man-o-war if you are running close to the water, especially barefoot. I've been to florida when the beach had a lot ofman-o-war washed up on it. We've even had them all the way up in new england.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Vacation training Rss Feed