General Discussion Triathlon Talk » New to the sport and few questions Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-07-31 11:19 AM

Subject: New to the sport and few questions
Hello been reading the forums for a couple of weeks now, im from england and have a couple of questions.

Wilsmow tri was my first race earlier this year and i am doing leeds olympic distance tri at roundhay park in september.

I ordered a tri suit online from wiggle before i went on hol, came back and tried it on it was really tight (put on a few pounds on hol lol) how tight are the tri suits supposed to be?

Where do you all find race schedules for the year (races in england)?

Last question... Im thinking the season may finish for triathlons over the winter to you compete in anything else at all as its a pretty long wait for the first races next year?

Thanks

2014-07-31 11:24 AM
in reply to: Jackjames

User image

Expert
Boise, ID
Subject: RE: New to the sport and few questions

Trisuit should be tight enough that it does not move around while biking or running, this prevents chafing. It should also be tight enough that it does not impede your swimming at all, ie it shouldn't catch any water. Too tight is really up to the individual, but it should be tight, and don't worry, we all look like ridiculous stuffed sausages at a race, you will be in good company.

Sorry, no help on races in England.

Some gyms have indoor tris during the winter. Many people use the winter to work on their weak sport. I concentrated hard on swimming this last winter as it is my weakest and I have access to an indoor pool. Also did some running on the indoor track. I will be spending a decent amount of time on my bike trainer this winter.

2014-07-31 11:38 AM
in reply to: Aarondb4

User image

Denver, CO

Over the winter, I'm planning to do some 5ks and organized rides.  We have a race series here in Colorado that combines running and cycling in various combinations.  I'm also hoping to do a half marathon in March.  To stay on top of training, I'm going to join a running club, go to a swim conditioning class (kind of a master's group but not quite) and do some Pilates to keep myself entertained and not lose (too much) conditioning.  At least that's my plan.  We'll see how well I manage to execute it.

2014-07-31 1:40 PM
in reply to: #5033249

Haha stuffed sausages made me laugh, i looked in the mirror and thought what a idiot i look...

Doin some some races over winter is good idea i always feel like i need something to aim for or i will end up smashing the food and beer all over christmas.
2014-07-31 1:48 PM

User image

Ha! I'm glad you asked the question about the tri suit. I am new to the sport as well...still training for my first in November. I ordered a tri suit and was sweating while putting it on. I actually asked my sister if I was supposed to feel like I was stuffing a sausage! Once on it feels like a second skin and is pretty comfortable so I'm glad to know it's not unusual to be that tight. I was also thinking that I should probably slim out a bit from the training before the race.
2014-07-31 1:59 PM
in reply to: #5033361

Lol dmgaudre i thought the same...seen as iv just got off holiday i thought ill look better in it with a stone off!! Time to sort the diet

2014-07-31 2:06 PM
in reply to: dmgaudre

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by dmgaudre Ha! I'm glad you asked the question about the tri suit. I am new to the sport as well...still training for my first in November. I ordered a tri suit and was sweating while putting it on. I actually asked my sister if I was supposed to feel like I was stuffing a sausage! Once on it feels like a second skin and is pretty comfortable so I'm glad to know it's not unusual to be that tight. I was also thinking that I should probably slim out a bit from the training before the race.

Just wait until you try to squeeze yourself into a wetsuit.  I swear, even with Body Glide or the like, it feels like an event in itself!

I found that I haven't lost much weight while training (started from scratch in March) but it has significantly shifted as it's been converted to muscle.  On top of buying all the tri-related gear, now I'm going to have to buy some new pants because the ones I have are too big.  This sport is expensive, I tell you. 

2014-07-31 2:39 PM
in reply to: #5033376

Ur not kidding laffinrock not only the cost of the gear adds up but even the races arnt cheap are they, my next one is £62 i still gotta buy a wetsuit for it the tri suit cost bpme £50
2014-07-31 3:28 PM

User image

Denver, CO

Yeah, races can get pretty pricey.  Before you buy a new wetsuit, you might check into whether there's a place in your area that rents.  If there's a tri team in your area, you might check in with them too.  Somebody there might have a used one you can either borrow or buy for cheaper than a new one.

2014-07-31 3:33 PM
in reply to: #5033410

User image

Extreme Veteran
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
The hardest part of my OWS workouts is getting in my wetsuit.
2014-07-31 4:04 PM
in reply to: #5033430

Thanks for the advice laffinrock renting one might be better option for me

2014-07-31 4:25 PM

Originally posted by Jackjames

Hello been reading the forums for a couple of weeks now, im from england and have a couple of questions.

Wilsmow tri was my first race earlier this year and i am doing leeds olympic distance tri at roundhay park in september.

I ordered a tri suit online from wiggle before i went on hol, came back and tried it on it was really tight (put on a few pounds on hol lol) how tight are the tri suits supposed to be?

Where do you all find race schedules for the year (races in england)?

Last question... Im thinking the season may finish for triathlons over the winter to you compete in anything else at all as its a pretty long wait for the first races next year?

Thanks

During the non-triathlon months I do run races. I'll fit in a marathon and several 5k/10k's. Helps build toward the following triathlon season.
2014-07-31 9:58 PM
in reply to: #5033448

User image

Iowa City, Iowa
Just a heads up about the wetsuit. I think it's trisports.com that let's you apply the rental cost towards the purchase of a wetsuit. I plan on taking advantage of this early next season to try one out for sizing and put the money towards one versus solely renting.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » New to the sport and few questions Rss Feed