General Discussion Race Reports! » Terramuggus Sprint Triathlon Series - Race #5 Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Terramuggus Sprint Triathlon Series - Race #5 - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Marlborough, Connecticut
United States
Pig Iron Sports
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 05m 49s
Overall Rank = 30/155
Age Group = 50-59
Age Group Rank = 3/10
Pre-race routine:

got there early-again, I like it that way-no rushing around
registered, waited, quick swim warm up; starting to get this sprint triathlon routine down a bit
Event warmup:

swam 200-300yds, pushed a bit to get my breathing and heart rate up a bit then just rested and tried to remember to start slow
Swim
  • 09m 18s
  • 600 yards
  • 01m 33s / 100 yards
Comments:

Decided to line up on the left as they widened the course a bit and I knew there was a bunch of grass on the right. I was told that it wasn't that bad today, but I'm happy with my decision. Only hard part was the converging of bodies at the buoy where I was kicked and shoved a bunch. A bit dicey as the rope holding the buoy was right behind me and I almost got caught up in it. A few strong strokes away and I was in relatively open water again.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. I liked the decision. I may want to start up closer to the front one of these days.
Transition 1
  • 00m 57s
Comments:

I thought I did well to get under a minute, but in looking at the results it was not a very strong transition. I did have to reset my Garmin but I am just a bit slow right now. I counted 28 people faster than me (30-56 sec)

Move quicker.
Bike
  • 32m 33s
  • 12 miles
  • 22.12 mile/hr
Comments:

I tried to push on the two hills this time and keep my cadence very high. Made a mistake being agressive on the downshifting into my small chain ring on the front and dropped the chain going up the roller hill. Had to pull off and unjam it from the side of the sprocket but the grease was off of me by the end of the run-thanks to the excessive sweat-ha! This mechanical glitch was the only one, but 45 seconds would have moved me up about 6 or 7 places in the standings. I saw the entire group of people in front of me on the run, but didn't have it in me to catch them.

Av HR=150/peak 161

Stay in control a bit more and not be so agressive with the shifting.
Transition 2
  • 00m 50s
Comments:

Almost got wiped out by a car at the last turn, but he stayed and I went, coming into the last turn, so my HR was up a bit as I ran with my bike. Still thought I was faster than I was. I counted 38 people faster than me in T2 (28-49sec), including several men in their 70's racing. Good for them! (Not so good for me...)

Go faster?
Run
  • 22m 8s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 07m 08s  min/mile
Comments:

Weather was perfect so I never felt overheated, like I usually do in these races (6pm, midsummer and usually high 80's and hazy/ hot and humid here in NE).
Was able to keep my cadence and effort up. Saw by my HR that my effort was as extrememe as I'd ever been able to muster for a sprint, so I tried to maintain it.
The sprint at the end totally spent all my energy and I left it all out there today. That was truly my max effort at this distance.

Nothing. That was my best.
Post race
Warm down:

Waited for my stomach to settle. Got a beer. Talked to Jim and my son, Mike, when he finished. Checked out the results and basked in a terrific summer night.
These races are just fun, but they do hurt a bit...I'm thrilled with a 3+ minute PR from last race and a lifetime PR for the distance.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Only the dropped chain kept me from a perfect race.

Event comments:

Terrific summer series for beginners and veterans. The venue is great, the lake is clear and the course well marked and manned. Everything is always on time and the course has it's challenges with a few hills to keep you honest.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2014-07-31 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:18 | 600 yards | 01m 33s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/10
Overall: 0/155
Performance: Good
fastest 100 was my first and last; just the way the real swimmers draw it up; I'm making improvements windy and choppy today so the out would definitely take longer than the back; I raised my head high to sight and had very straight lines on the garmin map (yeah me!)-course was short, for certain
Suit: Sleeveless Helix-mine
Course: counter clockwise around the buoys posing as ducks-- from a wade beach start. : must go around the small duck on either side...pretty windy today so they used an orange ball for the turnaround buoy instead; again needed to swim through the lake grass in the first 200yds-which was apparently better today-but the water was warm again and clear as a bell. Short run straight up to transition which now has bike racks-a very nice recent addition
Start type: Wade Plus: Shot
Water temp: 78F / 26C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 00:57
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:32:33 | 12 miles | 22.12 mile/hr
happy with the power numbers and held a strong effort the entire way; except for the dropped chain going up one of the last hills...cost about 30-40seconds, I'd guess
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: 2 loops clockwise around the lake with 5 x 90 degree turns Mile 1-slight downhill Mile 2-+150ft Mile 3-+100ft Mile 4-flat Mile 5-slight downhill Mile 6-slight downhill Repeat
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 86
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:50
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:22:08 | 03.1 miles | 07m 08s  min/mile
Kept a fast, quick, light cadence going up the first hill, then tried to extend/lengthen my stride on the few downhills of the first mile. Picked up the pace over the second mile and pushed hard on the last mile. Got chided for passing a woman with 400yds to go, but I could hear footsteps from someone behind me. Wound up being a 12yo kid who beat me by 0.2seconds. ARRRG!! avHR=152/peak 169
Course: clockwise loop around the lake, starting out through the woods, around the tennis courts and up the hill at the park entrance. All 3 miles have hills, but they get smaller and roll with shorter or longer sections. First mile has one big and one moderate hill. Second mile has one slow sloping uphill. Last mile flat then fast downhill finish.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2014-08-01 10:20 AM

User image

Veteran
South Windsor, CT
Subject: Terramuggus Sprint Triathlon Series - Race #5

2014-08-01 10:52 AM
in reply to: #5033712

User image

Veteran
Lakeville, Minnesota
Subject: RE: Terramuggus Sprint Triathlon Series - Race #5

Way to go Dale very impressive. I am amazed at the speed you are attaining on the bike and the run. Congrats!

2014-08-01 12:48 PM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Nice work Dale, congrats on the PR!  Too bad about the dropped chain!

2014-08-01 1:15 PM

User image

Pro
NJ
Duck buoys....excellent! And congrats on the PR's!!
2014-08-06 7:34 AM

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL

Awesome job, Dale - a three minute lifetime PR is huge! Love the fact that this is an evening series race - very cool.

2014-08-06 1:57 PM
in reply to: TankBoy

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Great to hear you are doing so well.   Loved reading about your race.

Super solid all the way around.  I'm most impressed with the 5k time.  A lot of folks would love to be around that for an open 5k. 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Terramuggus Sprint Triathlon Series - Race #5 Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Terramuggus Sprint Triathlon Series - Race #3

Started by dredwards
Views: 1592 Posts: 5

2006-07-20 9:22 AM Stone

Terramuggus Sprint Triathlon Series - Race #3

Started by cdf26.2
Views: 1479 Posts: 6

2006-07-21 7:54 PM dredwards

Terramuggus Sprint Triathlon Series - Race #2

Started by Hudnick
Views: 1383 Posts: 2

2006-07-04 10:23 AM drdi

Terramuggus Sprint Triathlon Series - Race #2

Started by KathyG
Views: 1605 Posts: 8

2006-07-05 11:31 AM stumfossil

Terramuggus Sprint Triathlon Series - Race #1

Started by Stone
Views: 2417 Posts: 9

2006-06-20 1:03 PM Marlborough Man
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 22, 2009
author : Ali Winslow
comments : 0
Is it realistic to race a sprint and Olympic distance race within 2-3 weeks of one another to gauge my progress before tackling the half Ironman?

date : October 7, 2008
author : gczarski
This past spring I realized a few of us were heading in the wrong direction physically. We were getting together for poker games and kids’ birthdays, but that was it.
date : September 8, 2008
author : pjwalzphd
comments : 2
When I told my husband that I planned to work toward completing a sprint triathlon, he smiled and was supportive, but a bit disbelieving.

date : July 29, 2008
author : Coach AJ
comments : 1
I'm not quite half way into my IM training. I just raced a sprint and on Monday I woke up and felt like I'd been drugged! Not sore, just incredibly fatigued.
date : September 5, 2006
author : mikericci
If you haven’t done any bricks yet, this isn’t the time to start piling them on, but here are some examples you could do in the lead up to your race.

date : July 2, 2006
author : susietri
comments : 6
Race report for my first sprint triathlon in which I tell the tale of panic and redemption.
date : February 28, 2005
author : sherrick
A 26 week, 6 race series plan for faster performance. A SILVER/GOLD member plan.

date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
comments : 1
Program outline of the 16 and 20 week sprint triathlon training plan overviews.