General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Brooklyn Triathlon - Sprint Course : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-08-02 1:16 AM

User image

Subject: Brooklyn Triathlon - Sprint Course : Official Thread
I'm doing my first Tri in Brooklyn! Where I was born and raised. Unfortunately I moved to the Bronx but my first ever TRI had to be in Brooklyn!

Are any of you training for it also?

2014-08-02 6:29 PM
in reply to: UrbanTriathlete14

User image

Brooklyn, New York
Subject: RE: Brooklyn Triathlon - Sprint Course : Official Thread
The Brooklyn Tri is my first ever also! I originally signed up for the Sprint distance but had it switched to the Super Sprint. I anticipate that Coney Island waters are going to be super cold in late October in spite of the wetsuit. As soon as I receive my wetsuit (I ordered from Xterra), I plan on training in Coney Island.
2014-08-04 3:36 PM
in reply to: SusieNYC

User image

Would you like to meet up?
2014-08-07 2:02 PM

User image

Brooklyn, New York
I am planning on it, haven't registered yet. Every time I check details, it seems kind of dead. I'm wondering. We'll see
TJ
2014-08-08 9:26 AM
in reply to: TJHammer

User image

What details are you checking?
2014-08-11 12:04 PM

I am planning on signing up for this race but am deciding whether or not the waters temps might be too cold . Anyone know what the avg temps are in late Oct?

If its too cold I might opt to do the Westchester Tri instead.

2014-08-13 2:34 PM
in reply to: JTNY

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
I'm signed up for the sprint. I was planning to take a break from doing tri's this year, but I've been saying for years that they ought to have a triathlon in Coney Island, and now that they finally do, I felt like I should put my money where my mouth is and support the race.

I don't think it'll be any colder in Brooklyn than it would be in Westchester. It's possible the water will be warmer than the air. The weather that time of year is always so unpredictable. It could be 70 or it could be 40. I'll wear a wetsuit for the swim and be prepared with arm warmers and toe covers for the bike.
2014-08-14 9:21 PM

User image

Brooklyn, New York

Apologies, just saw this now.  Yes, that would be great to meet up!  Let me know when you can. 

2014-08-14 9:24 PM
in reply to: jmk-brooklyn

User image

Brooklyn, New York

I'm signed up already to do the Sprint as well.  I live in Sheepshead Bay so what better way to race my first tri than in my own backyard?  

2014-08-15 8:48 AM

User image

Brooklyn, New York
JMK, I was more concerned about cold feet (literally) during the swim. Haven't swam in anything under 60, seriously considering swim socks.
Granted I'm doing the sprint, shouldn't be too long in cold water for the feet, but the idea of them being too cold then biking , ehhh
2014-08-15 2:49 PM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Originally posted by TJHammer

JMK, I was more concerned about cold feet (literally) during the swim. Haven't swam in anything under 60, seriously considering swim socks.
Granted I'm doing the sprint, shouldn't be too long in cold water for the feet, but the idea of them being too cold then biking , ehhh

I've done the Great Hudson River swim a couple of times (a great event, btw) and the waters usually low-to-mid 60's. I don't remember cold feet being an issue, but of course, I didn't have to bike or run afterwards. I think socks and shoe covers on the bike ought to warm your feet back up in a hurry.

2014-08-15 7:36 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Brooklyn, New York
I'd LOVE it if we got low 60s in that Coney water late Oct! Especially considering how cool this summer has been
Is that Hudson River swim down current?
I have shy'd away from NYC swims to spread entry $ elsewhere, I'm actually considering the Boston Harbor swim mid Sept

Edited by TJHammer 2014-08-15 7:40 PM
2014-08-18 9:15 AM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY

I'd LOVE it if we got low 60s in that Coney water late Oct! Especially considering how cool this summer has been
Is that Hudson River swim down current?
I have shy'd away from NYC swims to spread entry $ elsewhere, I'm actually considering the Boston Harbor swim mid Sept

I've done a couple of their events and they're really good. I especially like the Hudson River Swim. They try to schedule the race so that the current is downriver as much as posisble. I did one year with a pretty strong downriver current and another year when it was less so, and it make a big difference in my time.

I'd like to do the Liberty Island swim one day-- that looks like a fun one.
2014-09-05 6:27 PM

User image

Brooklyn, New York
Seems like I should be able to squeeze in a Sunday morning swim (either Riis Park) (maybe Coney) if anyone is interested in heading out. With the weather, definitely still warm & comfortable swim conditions sans wetsuit
2014-10-09 5:43 PM

User image

Brooklyn, New York
17 days - how's everyone doing? Still don't know start times and how start setup (in waves etc etc) is being handled. They did update the course info with some larger images and details.
2014-10-10 5:12 AM

User image

Brooklyn, New York

I'll definitely be there!  I'll be bringing swim booties and a neoprene swim cap to go under the official cap. Packet pickup is at the LeFrack Center at Lakeside in Prospect Park on Oct 25th.  Am sure they'll post wave starts, etc. soon or at the expo. It's posted on their website:  http://www.brooklyn-triathlon.com/

Edited by SusieIronTri 2014-10-10 5:13 AM

2014-10-10 5:26 PM
in reply to: SusieIronTri

User image

Brooklyn, New York
Not sure if you've been out in the ocean, but last few weekends, best part of the weather out by the shore has actually been the water temp
2014-10-10 5:30 PM
in reply to: #5034028

User image

Brooklyn, New York
Nope, haven't been in Coney Island for a while but very happy to hear that the water has been warm! Nevertheless, I'm bringing my booties and swim cap as insurance ??
2014-10-20 12:02 PM

User image

Brooklyn, New York
"Had the fee assessment been given to us with any advance notice and with an open dialogue, we would have looked for course alternatives that might have lowered the cost to a number that was reasonable—however we cannot imagine a bike course with a tighter footprint.

Since receiving the fee assessment letter, we have tried to talk with everyone possible in hopes of finding a solution, but none has been offered by the City of New York and its agencies.

Because of this, we have no choice but to cancel the Brooklyn Triathlon and to inform participants, sponsors, and stakeholders of this fact.

As of today, we do not have enough information to give you on what the next steps will be to unwind the event, those will come as soon as we have gathered all of the information from ongoing discussions with our sponsors and the City of New York." Quoted from official site

WHY AM I NOT SURPRISED!???

Edited by TJHammer 2014-10-20 12:03 PM
2014-10-20 4:16 PM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY

"Had the fee assessment been given to us with any advance notice and with an open dialogue, we would have looked for course alternatives that might have lowered the cost to a number that was reasonable—however we cannot imagine a bike course with a tighter footprint.

Since receiving the fee assessment letter, we have tried to talk with everyone possible in hopes of finding a solution, but none has been offered by the City of New York and its agencies.

Because of this, we have no choice but to cancel the Brooklyn Triathlon and to inform participants, sponsors, and stakeholders of this fact.

As of today, we do not have enough information to give you on what the next steps will be to unwind the event, those will come as soon as we have gathered all of the information from ongoing discussions with our sponsors and the City of New York." Quoted from official site

WHY AM I NOT SURPRISED!???

Really disappointing. This is actually the third triathlon to be cancelled in Coney Island. Before last year's, there was another probably 5-6 years ago that went from a tri to an aquathon to nothing over the course of a few weeks. I can only assume that the community board brought some pressure to bear, but it's unforgivable that the organizers didn't have all of their ducks in a row for the second year in a row. NYC can be ridiculous sometimes, but I have a hard time believing that they just slapped them with a bill for $125k a week before the event that they had no idea was coming. Especially since they cancelled last year's race at the 11th hour.

Glad I only paid for the Sprint. I'll never see that money again, and I'll never do another race with this RD.
2014-10-20 5:25 PM

User image

Brooklyn, New York
How is them taking money from hundreds (1000's) of people and cancelling multiple times not warranting some type of lawsuit here?

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Brooklyn Triathlon - Sprint Course : Official Thread Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Tupper Lake Tinman Triathlon - Sprint Course : Official Thread

Started by deltabrian
Views: 923 Posts: 1

2014-01-07 8:19 PM deltabrian

Keuka Lake Triathlon - Intermediate Course : Official Thread

Started by jcc
Views: 1531 Posts: 2

2012-05-11 12:09 PM rstocks3

Finger Lakes Triathlon - Sprint Distance : Official Thread

Started by dexter
Views: 2935 Posts: 12

2011-09-23 12:51 PM marmadaddy

Finger Lakes Triathlon - Sprint Distance : Official Thread

Started by lextek
Views: 3326 Posts: 21

2009-09-24 9:17 AM lextek

mini-Mussel Sprint Triathlon : Official Thread Pages: 1 2

Started by lextek
Views: 5774 Posts: 43

2009-07-19 8:11 PM glazebal
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 8, 2008
author : pjwalzphd
comments : 2
When I told my husband that I planned to work toward completing a sprint triathlon, he smiled and was supportive, but a bit disbelieving.

date : February 5, 2008
author : Team BT
comments : 0
Complete course preview of the North East triathlon on 8/17/2008 featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!
date : January 1, 2008
comments : 0
Complete course preview of the Philadelphia Women's Only Triathlon in Pennsylvania featuring a Sprint and a Duathlon race. Mark your calendars!

date : December 3, 2007
comments : 1
Complete course preview of the New Jersey State triathlon featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!
date : November 22, 2007
Complete course preview of the Black Bear triathlon in Pennsylvania featuring a Sprint and a 1/2 Ironman distance race. Mark your calendars!

date : October 4, 2007
author : AdamA
comments : 4
I was passing others who were saying, "Good job, 587" (that was my race number). People were cheering me on. These were the nicest people I have ever been around!
date : June 4, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 2
I was not an official; I simply observed the race and the officials doing their thing. Here is what I saw:

date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
Program outline of the 16 and 20 week sprint triathlon training plan overviews.