General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Cold Weather Triathlon - What to wear under a wetsuit? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-08-03 7:13 AM

User image

Brooklyn, New York
Subject: Cold Weather Triathlon - What to wear under a wetsuit?

I am racing the Brooklyn Triathlon in late October and it's my first triathlon ever, not to mention my first cold weather one.  I have a wetsuit from Xterra and will be getting the lava booties to keep the feet warm during the swim.  What should I wear underneath to make my T1 as seamless as possible?  Could I wear my padded cycling tights underneath?  Would that feel too bulky?  Or should I wear a trisuit and layer on the arm and leg warmers during T1?

2014-08-03 9:07 AM
in reply to: SusieNYC

Subject: RE: Cold Weather Triathlon - What to wear under a wetsuit?
Swim outlet has some thermal swim tops that can be worn under the wetsuit that will provide additional protection. However, you need to wear and practice in this combination to ensure its works for you and fits properly under the wetsuit.
2014-08-03 9:17 AM
in reply to: SusieNYC

, Wisconsin
I don't know how cold yours will be. But, I did one two weeks ago that was cloudy, breezy, and about 60. I wore my regular tri gear (shorts and top) for the swim (it was a pool swim) then I pulled a rashguard over the top in T1. Only took a couple of seconds but was enough for that temp on the bike. I pulled it off for the run . . . nice things about the rashguard were that is was pretty easy to pull on and take off, and it was snug enough to not flap around on the bike.
2014-08-03 9:19 AM
in reply to: Billyk

User image

Brooklyn, New York

Many thanks!  Checking Swim Outlet right now  Really excited that I'm thinking of a destination Ironman 70.3 race already!

2014-08-03 9:40 AM
in reply to: MikeD1

User image

Brooklyn, New York

Many thanks!  The race is on October 26th in Brooklyn, NY, and it'll be Brooklyn Triathlon's inaugural race.  I anticipate the weather to be in the mid 50's, likely colder at 8am.  I have a long sleeve cycling jersey that I'll zip up for the bike portion.  But I'll look into getting a rash guard, great idea!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Cold Weather Triathlon - What to wear under a wetsuit? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

what to wear for colder weather races

Started by dspursusa
Views: 1508 Posts: 15

2013-04-20 12:45 PM TriMyBest

Cold weather run – what to wear?

Started by skiplong
Views: 2504 Posts: 11

2009-12-31 9:47 AM CyborgQueen

Virginia weather-Gear for colder weather?

Started by nadaswimmer
Views: 1031 Posts: 4

2009-08-11 1:54 PM jsselle

Cold Feet while wearing wetsuit

Started by tri11
Views: 483 Posts: 2

2007-05-06 11:38 AM VanCityJ

cold weather wear

Started by relic
Views: 959 Posts: 17

2004-09-30 10:49 PM redbullgt337
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 5, 2013
author : b2run
comments : 7
This is an article with lots of great information about running in temperatures from 0 C to - 30 C.

date : October 19, 2010
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 0
Do you have your first triathlon coming up? This article will give you a few tips on what to wear for your triathlon.
date : February 4, 2009
author : Coach AJ
Coach AJ discusses the essential clothing used to keep your legs and feet warm while cycling or running in the cold weather.

date : November 5, 2008
author : FitWerx
How often should you have a bike tune up and what should be included? Is it unreasonable to expect a refitting as part of the tune up?
date : September 3, 2008
author : Ontherun
comments : 1
The first video in this series will go through some wetsuit basics: what is a triathlon wetsuit, different styles, rules for racing with a wetsuit and wetsuit care and fit.

date : May 1, 2006
author : Ingrid Loos
comments : 7
Being lean isn't all wine and roses. The reduction in body fat has, unfortunately, also made me a slower swimmer. I have also become a real wimp in cold of any kind.
date : November 27, 2005
author : Team BT
The toll of fate strikes as those with orange swim caps are beckoned to begin the journey. Ahhh, nothing like the feel of ice cold water seeping in your wetsuit to wake you up. GO!

date : April 17, 2005
author : AMSSM
Training in the cold can be effective and fun with some planning. Overall, prepare for the environment, stay hydrated and dry, listen to your body and have a great safe cold weather outing.