General Discussion Triathlon Talk » clip-on mini bars Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-08-03 10:22 AM

User image

Ottawa, Ontario
Subject: clip-on mini bars
In an effort to get a better aero position I added some clip-on mini bars (Deda Blast) to my road bike. Not the most comfortable but I could hold myself up for while, and if nothing else it gave me yet another hand position option for longer rides.

Did my first Tri yesterday and had not anticipated how the swim would impact my arm muscles (particularly my triceps) when I got on the bike I could only hold myself on the aero bars for like 2 minutes at a time, so as a result rode almost the whole race in the drops. I watched with envy the other cyclists on TT bikes or who had full aero bars, resting the elbows on the bars and looking quite comfortable.

Any users of mini-bars out there? Is it just a matter of strength/conditioning to be able to ride on those things for a whole race? Are full-sized bars really that much better? Is adding aero bars of any size to a road bike bound be an inadequate half-measure regardless?

2014-08-03 11:48 AM
in reply to: SenatorClayDavis

User image

New user
Green Bay, WI
Subject: RE: clip-on mini bars
Never used mini bars but personally I think aero bars on a road bike make a huge difference. I race with a tri bike now, but I still have my aero bars on my road bike and I use them often.
2014-08-06 5:35 AM

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
The ITU (aka shortie) bars are specifically designed so you maintain your road position, but gain the additional position in the aero bars. You rely on core strength when in aero, so that becomes increasingly important. Also, it takes a bit of time to get used to them and comfortable in them. Give it a month of riding. If you're still uncomfortable at that point, then it's a question of bike fit.
2014-08-06 10:33 AM
in reply to: audiojan

User image

Ottawa, Ontario
Well there was a dude selling a pair of full on aero-bars (Profile T2+) for a good price so I grabbed them and went for a 40 km ride last night - so much better. Riding on those is actually the most comfortable position on my bike now - I can ride indefinitely that way (whereas I'd have to switch hand positions every now and again because of hand numbness) and it seems more aero than the position I got with the mini-bars. The steering is a little more squirrelly but I got used to that.
2014-08-15 10:07 PM

I use the profile design gt jammers and was on them for at least 90% of my HIM. I felt pretty comfortable through the race. I'm not sure if the jammers would be more comfortable because they extend further back than the deda.
Going full aerobars will definitely be more comfortable. My training partner also has the jammers and just bought TT/tri bike and he said it is much easier riding in the aero position on his new bike.
Full aerobars will be a problem on a road bike because you'll have to adjust your seat position between aero (further forward) and road riding. Redshift (http://www.redshiftsports.com/) is an option without buying a dedicated TT/tri bike.
2014-08-31 8:13 AM

User image

As noted, your core muscles should be doing a lot more of the work than your arms in the aero position. It takes some getting used to recruiting those muscles to help hold you up.

It took a few weeks for me to feel comfortable in the aeros, and it also took at least 3+ rejiggings of the bars/arm rests before I found my sweet spot for comfort.

I do feel that the new position on my bike plus shorties has helped my cycling...I feel like my legs are able to produce more power in this position and I like having an extra position to cycle in.

2014-10-02 8:22 AM

Is there a big aero difference between shorter aero bars and full extensions? I am considering shorty aero bars for my road bike so that I can still keep the same position for riding without them
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » clip-on mini bars Rss Feed  
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 30, 2013
author : Ron
comments : 1
We have new 10 and 20 week training plans for the New Year! These mini sprint plans are very conservative and will get any person thinking of training for a triathlon ready to cross the finish-line.

date : March 24, 2011
author : FitWerx
What should I consider when adding aero bars? What are good brands? Are there pitfalls to be aware of? How can I adjust them to fit me?
date : May 25, 2009
author : FitWerx
comments : 0
I read somewhere about "bar ends" to put on your handle bars, do you recommend them? Is this similar to adding clip on aero bars?

date : July 14, 2008
author : Birkierunner
comments : 2
Watch the highlights and tips of this years IMWI BT mini-camp put on by Birkierunner.
date : January 1, 2008
author : BGTwinDad
We will take a peek into the lowly saddlebag to see what needs to be in there in case of emergency. Much of this may be common sense, some might surprise you, and some are simply just my opinion.

date : December 17, 2007
author : 2x4nomore
My first Sprint triathlon, after a very nervous pre-race morning.
date : September 10, 2007
author : 2x4nomore
comments : 9
Description of one overweight, nervous, beginner triathlete's very first race -- a "Mini" Triathlon.

date : January 29, 2006
author : Nancy Clark
You can spend a small fortune on these pre-wrapped bundles of energy, thinking they offer magic ingredients-not true. “Energy” simply means “provides calories” and not “will make you feel energetic."