General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Riding in Illinois has to be the one of the most boring place to ride Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-08-04 9:26 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: Riding in Illinois has to be the one of the most boring place to ride
After spending many years riding around the cornfields of Illinois I took a trip out east and had a chance to ride in Connecticut and Pennsylvania. Oh my god was it fun never flat and always turning it was a blast. I think I need to move to where biking is not a straight line. not sure whats like to race in the hills I can only imagine whats goes on in sprints.

2014-08-04 9:40 AM
in reply to: BuckHamilton

User image

Bronze member
Subject: RE: Riding in Illinois has to be the one of the most boring place to ride

Agree. This time of year everything around me is corn fields (central IL). I feel like I'm riding through miles of corn tunnels. We used to live in Southern IL and ride the rails to trails system at Tunnel Hill. It was not for road bikes but very pretty scenery with bridges to cross, forest, and of course riding through the tunnel .

I went on vacation to Hilton Head this summer and I was able to ride right on the beach. I was really excited thinking this would be a great change of scenery but you know what - it was boring too. Sand, water, dead jelly fish, dead jelly fish, dead jelly fish......

2014-08-04 9:40 AM

User image

Regular
Hamilton, IL
Subject: RE: Riding in Illinois has to be the one of the most boring place to ride
Only boring people get bored!

Seriously, though. If I head east I get some straight roads like you are talking about, BUT I live right on the mississippi river, so I can also travel on winding and hilly (or rolling) roads that have beautiful folliage and sometimes those super cool "tunnel of trees" type roads.

So, I guess my point is that it's kinda lame to call all of Illinois boring. Kinda like assuming that Chicago's interests reflect those of the rest of the state. You aren't from Chicago, are you?
2014-08-04 9:45 AM

Master
Northern IL

I ride into Wisconsin.

2014-08-04 9:47 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Regular
Hamilton, IL
Originally posted by brigby1

I ride into Wisconsin.

I used to do some pretty nice beginner to intermediate single track up in your neck of the woods. I kinda miss that.
2014-08-04 9:53 AM
in reply to: Danno77

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by Danno77
Originally posted by brigby1

I ride into Wisconsin.

I used to do some pretty nice beginner to intermediate single track up in your neck of the woods. I kinda miss that.

Yeah, a lot of the rail to trail is coming along well. I can get some really big rides on it now. The best single track still tends to be just up in ... Wisconsin.

2014-08-04 9:58 AM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Have you been to Kansas?! 

But to someone else's point, boring is in the eye of the beholder. While my routes are always in a straight line and always flat, I enjoy the beauty around me in the crops, the livestock, the sky and the quiet. 

2014-08-04 9:59 AM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

That's funny, because I rode in central Illinois for 6 years and rarely got bored.  

I rode past windmills.
I rode past farmhouses with dogs.
I rode past pig farms.
I rode past corn fields.
I rode past soybean fields.
I rode past creeks and rivers and small lakes.  

If you look at my routes, they were rarely "flat."  

Riding in Illinois, I had choices to ride a lot of different roads.  (Really, there was usually a cross road every mile or two.)  Yes, there were miles and miles of corn fields and by now the corn is high enough to not see cross traffic.  I rode 90 miles from Peoria to Galesburg and probably spent less than 15 of that on State Routes.  I've been other places where the choices are a lot more limited.  Where I was in Utah didn't have nearly as many cross roads (and some of them were gravel).  Where I am now has a lot of State Routes, but not as many back roads that go through (I'm still exploring though).  

2014-08-04 10:13 AM
in reply to: McFuzz

User image

Extreme Veteran
riding west of Chicago and there are some parts that are somewhat entertaining but when I did a 3 hour ride out east where I really had to pay attention to my line and gearing it just made it so much more fun. I did learn I am really bad at descending hills.
2014-08-04 10:36 AM

User image

DC
I moved from Chicago to the DC area 5 years ago. As far as biking/running is concerned, best choice I ever made. In Chicago/Illinois, it seems like I rarely got to use my "granny gears" as everything was FLAT. Except of course for Palos Hills/S. Wisconsin. And Palos was best appreciated w/a mountain bike.

I hear your call!
2014-08-04 10:40 AM
in reply to: McFuzz

User image

Veteran
Algonquin, IL
I agree with McFuzz re: cross roads/routes. I have a couple of regular loops that I do and I have several choices to shorten or lengthen each one. I also Ride in southern WI, which is more of the same as IL, with maybe a few more rollers. I enjoy riding in the country, watching the corn get progressively higher, seeing livestock and horses, stopping occasionally at a stream to talk to fishermen. I grew up down in Spring Valley.

I think it's the stark contrast to other parts of the country that makes IL look "boring".

2014-08-04 12:32 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
the other fun thing I got to do was do my swim workouts in the ocean in the waves (ok small waves) but I need some work on rough water swimming

Edited by BuckHamilton 2014-08-04 12:32 PM
2014-08-04 2:12 PM

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington

I did a few rides in Central Illinois (Minooka) this past June, and yes, the terrain is rather... mono-chromatic. But that doesn't mean it has to be boring. I did notice that the riders there must never wear out rims or brake pads, though. I guess that comes with being able to see for miles in every direction.

2014-08-04 4:24 PM
in reply to: briderdt

Master
Northern IL

Yeah, it does work if you accept that there isn't necessarily a lot of excitement from terrain and more to just enjoying being out there.

2014-08-04 4:34 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX

Ha! Come ride in Dallas, TX. You won't get bored. Most of my riding is done in the suburbs on 3 lane roads. I get to see cars, more cars, businesses, etc. The fear certainly keeps me from being bored! 

2014-08-04 8:53 PM
in reply to: #5034663

Haha, try northeast Indiana. I moo at the cows to make my rides more interesting

2014-08-05 7:22 AM
in reply to: MMW37

User image

Elite
the desert
X2 on it's all what you are used to. Riding around Tremont, Il and Pekin was a very nice change from Arizona
2014-08-05 7:25 AM
in reply to: #5035148

User image

I am in Iowa- what doesn't kill us makes us stronger!! Yesterday i rode 70 miles and did the same loop twice (ALONE). Terribly boring.,.
2014-08-05 7:36 AM

User image

Oh yeah. I live in WV and love the hills. Love 'em! They keep things interesting and make you strong. Triathletes around here who train for flat races complain that there is no where to train. We do get people who come in from out of state, do one group ride, and decide that they are done riding bikes, though.
2014-08-05 7:38 AM
in reply to: midwesttrimom

User image

Veteran
Central VA
I worked Bike Virginia this year and talked to a rider from Kansas who had similar feeling. All the roads were flat and straight where he came from.

http://bikevirginia.org/

2014-08-05 12:32 PM

New user
In much of Florida, your best hope for a hill is a bridge. There are hills inland, but most of the population is near the coast, which is almost entirely flat. We can get some nice views along the water, but those usually come with crazy crosswinds. I call those my hills.

2014-08-10 9:47 AM
in reply to: bwalling

User image

Originally posted by bwalling

In much of Florida, your best hope for a hill is a bridge. There are hills inland, but most of the population is near the coast, which is almost entirely flat. We can get some nice views along the water, but those usually come with crazy crosswinds. I call those my hills.

This makes me a bit nervous! I am doing IMFL in November and that is what worries me most. I ride a lot of hills, but for some reason I think that flat with wind is tougher! I always feel like I am going to get blown off the road. ) Here's to hoping it's a calm day on November 1!!
2014-08-10 9:30 PM
in reply to: midwesttrimom

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho

I grew up in east central Illinois, near Indiana border.  But I've lived in idaho for twenty years.  I enjoy going back and riding all the cornfields and country roads i grew up on. 

Scenery is a state of mind.  You're out riding your bike...how bad can it be?

2014-08-11 8:44 AM
in reply to: jeffnboise

User image

Extreme Veteran
I think it may just be the change of pace for me. However the hills that gave me trouble before I spent some time in the hills seem very small now
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Riding in Illinois has to be the one of the most boring place to ride Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Anyone else having issues on long bike rides?

Started by Blastman
Views: 1513 Posts: 9

2014-03-04 7:00 AM Hot Runner

Places to Swim/ Ride near Wilmington NC?

Started by zenetanar
Views: 961 Posts: 2

2012-07-21 1:36 PM dandr614

Best place to ride in SanDestin, FL?

Started by pilotzs
Views: 473 Posts: 4

2012-03-27 11:54 AM dwhelms

Pool and a place to ride in Cincinnati Ohio

Started by tri-again
Views: 579 Posts: 1

2010-05-05 2:03 PM tri-again

Myrtle Beach/Pawleys Island area-places to ride

Started by digitalworld
Views: 867 Posts: 1

2007-07-17 9:23 AM digitalworld
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 14, 2011
author : Troy Jacobson
comments : 0
What is the difference between a recovery ride and junk miles?

date : January 27, 2011
author : Mark Sunderland
The no-excuses guide to riding outdoors in snow, wind, ice and darkness. Bring it on!
date : December 15, 2008
author : FitWerx
I own both a road bike and a tri bike. I am wondering which bike I should be riding during off season training, or does it matter?

date : September 22, 2008
author : Courage
comments : 1
Four Master's Class athletes ride and race like eight year olds in the backyard.
date : July 8, 2008
author : Writebrained
comments : 10
Riding Zen means nothing more than being keenly aware of your surroundings and in control of your emotional state at all times. It also means riding safe and riding smart.

date : September 18, 2007
author : Courage
comments : 2
Here there are no judges, here I take out what I put in times ten. Here, in my church, I am reborn of spirit. And the next hill is upon me and I'm joyful for it. Joyful for the pain and the work.
date : November 6, 2006
author : Terese Luikens
Over this next month I will be learning more about my bike each time I take it out to ride. I want to take full advantage of what it has to offer.

date : June 5, 2006
author : Ontherun
A few months back I wrote an article about buying your next bike. Well now I have done it and wish to share my experience and choice with you.