Set Up Events
68.5F / 20C
Overcast
Total Time = 5h 57m 23s
Overall Rank = 334/528
Age Group = F 45-50
Age Group Rank = 15/25
Pre-race routine:

We dropped of Emma at the pet sitter on Friday morning and headed up to Waynesville.

Kevin had the oil in his car changed and the tires rotated on Thursday in anticipation of our trip on Friday. On Friday morning as he went to drop Emma off with the pet sitter, he noticed a screw in the sidewall. We double checked the tire pressure and it was fine. Unfortunately, his tire pressure light came on as we approached Hickory. We did a visual check of the tires, stopped for lunch and then went to a gas station to fill the tires. What?! Only 10 pounds of pressure in that tire?! Not good! And sidewalls can't really be patched. Off to the tire place. Do they carry that model? Nope. Does anyone carry that model? Nope. Do any of the local Subaru dealers carry that model? Nope. The thing is, with all wheel drive (and for wheel drive) the tires have to be a pretty close match. So... Four new tires and a few hours later... (the tire place gave us a small trade in for the three good tires and worked us into their schedule)

Drove the new for the half part of the course and checked in. As I suspected, Stamey Cove will be interesting.

Dinner at Tipping Point Tavern. I had the Mexican pulled pork and Kevin had the mushroom Swiss burger with onion rings.

Set the alarm for 4:30 with the intention of leaving the hotel, the Waynesville Inn (only OK but there aren't many options convenient to the event site) by 5:00. Set out my breakfast and gear for the morning and chillaxed for the evening.

Early to bed, early to rise...

Breakfast: Bagel with peanut butter, banana, ensure.

We got up at 4:30 and left for the site at about 5:00. We knew that parking would be an issue given the mountain roads and narrow area around the lake. We got into the conga line on the one road in/out of the race site and arrived at the race site just before 5:30. We were able to park and I had time to oil my chain, etc. before heading over to transition. I got transition all set up, picked up my timing chip and got body marked, then I realized that my swim cap was still in the car. I quickly found Kevin, who had the keys, and we headed back to the car and got my cap. Then back to transition to put on my wetsuit and then a quick walk across the street to the starting area by the floating dock.

When an event that you have on your schedule starts to get discussed on Slowtwitch, you can be pretty sure that it's crossed the line into competitive/Type A events.

It was 57 in the morning, 73 as we were leaving the site.
Event warmup:

Set up transition, go back to the car to get my swim cap, go back to transition to put on my wet suit, go to the dock, quick dip in the water, 30 minute wait for my wave...
Swim
  • 40m 21s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 55s / 100 yards
Comments:

Good swim. I felt like it was a bit nippy but when I looked up last year, I see that it was actually a bit warmer.
What would you do differently?:

Continue to work on swim
Transition 1
  • 05m 39s
Bike
  • 3h 03m 13s
  • 52 miles
  • 17.03 mile/hr
Comments:

First off, I liked the course. I felt that it was fair and in many ways it was fun. The description says something about a fast, flat bike course. The Olympic course is fast and relatively flat. The course was not posted when I signed up for the event. Once the course was posted, I knew that it wouldn't be flat and I suspected that it would not be fast.

I looked at the course profile online and decided that there was probably a section that I needed to preview. I created the route in Strava so that I could get turn-by-turn directions to use in the car. Yes, I definitely needed to see Stamey Cove Road. I was really glad that I did. It's a steady climb that gets steeper and steeper getting to 10%, then there is a brief break in the climbing and a hairpin turn and longer, steeper climb. Finally, you get to the top and what do you find? Brand new chipseal with loose pebbly gravel! Since the gravel is nominally part if the chipseal, it's the same color so it was very difficult to distinguish what was part of the road and what was loose. Solution: Stay in "tire tracks."

Back to the race, when I got to this area of the course I had been riding in sight of the same people for a while, trading places from time to time. We got to the first steep sections and I passed at least half a dozen men walking their bikes up these hills. The hill on Stamey Cove made the hill going back to the lake seem pretty tiny.

After the race, people were exclaiming, "and we had to climb a mountain at mile 40!"

I got the route at just over 3000 feet of elevation gain.

Nutrition: EFS Kona Mocha Liquid shot (1/2 shot divided between two water bottles), 1 additional bottle of water (did not finish), 1.5 Clif Shot Bloks.
Transition 2
  • 02m 59s
Run
  • 2h 05m 35s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 35s  min/mile
Comments:

The run went well. Off the bike and across the bridge to a gradual uphill for 3.1 miles. At this time the Olympic runners were still on course, the elite Half runners were on their second lap and I was just starting my first.

After the turnaround, downhill for 3.1 miles, a loop around the field to add a the .7 difference between two times the 10k course for the Olympic and the 13.1 for the Half course, then back up the hill and back down to finish! My only disappointment was that I had to stop and use the Johnny On the Spot.

About 9 miles into the run, it started to rain lightly. By 9.5 miles in, it was raining pretty hard. It continued to rain hard for the next mile and a half. Apparently it never did anything other than sprinkle in the transition area!

Nutrition: I had a Hammer gel at about mile 5 and changed from drinking water to drinking coke at about mile 7.5.

Logically, this was a 13.1 mile course. I'm not sure why my Garmin got a different result.
Post race
Warm down:

Finished the run, received a finisher's medal and found Kevin. From there I got some food and water and visited with friends.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Training for IM Chattanooga

Event comments:

The Half event is new to this venue. In the past, they have hosted an International distance event and a Sprint. This inaugural half was very well done. I do think that they need to change the advertising for the race (fast and flat is not how I'd describe the bike course) and address the parking as much as they can with only one road in/out of the area.

I love this venue and look forward to returning in the future!

Profile Album

Last updated: 2014-03-03 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:40:21 | 2112 yards | 01m 55s / 100yards
Age Group: 18/25
Overall: 452/528
Performance: Good
Suit: Blue Seventy Reaction sleeveless
Course: Rectangular course that goes clockwise with only two turns. Straight from the dock to the first yellow buoy then right to the next yellow buoy then right and swim under the bridge to the floating dock and dry land
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 68F / 20C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 05:39
Performance:
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
03:03:13 | 52 miles | 17.03 mile/hr
Age Group: 11/25
Overall: 343/528
Wind:
Course: Figure 8 shaped course. We went out on Lake Logan road and made a counter clockwise loop, returning on Lake Logan road. The first and last 2 miles had a steepish hill. With another longer, steeper hill on Stamey Cover Road near mile 40. The rest of the course had some rollers as well as some grinders that make this Half course slower than the Olympic course.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:59
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
02:05:35 | 13.1 miles | 09m 35s  min/mile
Age Group: 15/25
Overall: 303/528
Course: The transition area is by the lake. From there the course is a gradual uphill to the Sunburst Campground is a primitive campground nestled between Shining Rock and Middle Prong Wilderness within Pisgah National Forest. Then, after 3.1 miles turnaround and go down the hill. We did a loop in a field near the transition area and then did a second lap on the road. The road is mostly shaded. Newcomers to the venue will want to take note that the course goes by a firing range so hearing gunshots is not unusual.
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2014-08-04 10:39 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
Subject: Lake Logan Half

2014-08-04 10:48 AM
in reply to: #5034700

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida
Subject: RE: Lake Logan Half

You Rock!!! Great job on a lead up/training race.  Your time (especially with the climb) gives me the impression that you are continuing to get faster.

I can't wait to see what you have instore for IM Choo.

2014-08-04 11:55 AM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

Awesome job out there and super speedy run!!!

2014-08-04 12:08 PM
in reply to: Socks

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Well Done my friend!

SO Glad you previewed the bike course! Chip seal - WHY does anyone use that stuff (I mean I know why but STILL!)! LOL

Again, great job!
2014-08-04 1:14 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

Holy hill, Batman, yikes!  And fresh chipseal?  Yuck. That's just mean. Way to be smart about your race, and nice work as usual.  Great race pics!

2014-08-04 2:04 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Congrats on a great race!!! Big hills AND chipseal. YUK! Nice job dealing with it and passing people on the hill!!!

You rock!

2014-08-04 4:30 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Denver, CO

Congrats on a super race!!  What a beautiful venue (chip sealing excepted), and you rocked it!

2014-08-04 8:46 PM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

Awesome-sauce!  Dealing with a car and need for tires on the way to a race then pulling out a great race!!

That bike course sounds BRUTAL.  You are a beast.

2014-08-07 1:23 PM
in reply to: QueenZipp

User image

Master
Orlando

Another awesome race!!  Sounds like a really tough bike course -especially to this flatlander!, and you killed it.  Congrats!!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Lake Logan Half Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Lake Logan Half

Started by alk926
Views: 1031 Posts: 1

2014-08-04 10:36 AM alk926

Lake Logan Triathlon

Started by cbitsas
Views: 1709 Posts: 2

2007-08-06 8:48 AM medic0020

Lake Logan

Started by medic0020
Views: 1880 Posts: 6

2007-08-13 12:05 PM tzmitch

Lake Logan Triathlon

Started by foots
Views: 1752 Posts: 6

2007-08-13 11:58 AM tzmitch

Lake Logan

Started by dabrown
Views: 1652 Posts: 1

2006-08-07 6:32 AM dabrown
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 24, 2010
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
My question is am I playing with fire entering the half marathon this close to my primary goal for this season which is the HIM?

date : September 22, 2009
author : Ali Winslow
Is it realistic to race a sprint and Olympic distance race within 2-3 weeks of one another to gauge my progress before tackling the half Ironman?
date : November 17, 2008
author : mat steinmetz
comments : 7
I just started doing tris this summer and I have two under my belt, both sprints. Is it reasonable to build up for a Oly in early ‘09, with a HIM in Oct of ‘09

date : September 24, 2008
author : Amy Kuitse
I am running Boston in April and Ironman Lake Placid is in July. I have been told that it is ambitious to think about doing an IM so close to a marathon due to the recovery time. Any suggestions?
date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.

date : August 10, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
The first time I ventured into the deep murky green lake and could not see the bottom my muscles tensed and my imagined fears surfaced. What exactly lies beneath?
date : January 29, 2006
author : sl2302
I just had a couple of problems, I could count the number of triathlons I had contested at zero. Secondly, I could count on one hand the number of times I had been swimming in the last 17 years.

date : August 30, 2004
author : sherrick
comments : 40
This half Ironman plan covers many weeks of challenging, but attainable training for someone who has some endurance experience, and ideally some Olympic distance races within the past season.