General Discussion Triathlon Talk » shoe opinions Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-08-05 7:24 AM

User image

Subject: shoe opinions
Okay I will admit I hate it when a shoe I currently use changes and I don't love it as much.

I wear Addidas boost and the last model was changed enough that I'm shopping again for shoes that I love. Years ago I tried and rejected newtons ( I know they work for some - not me though). That was sort of an expensive experiment so I'm seeking feedback before I toss money out there yet again on new brands.

I would like to hear from folks who have tried the Altra Running shoes and also the On running shoes to see what they think. I'm a neutral runner. I don't need a lot of cushioning, I love a big toe box, have a high arch, and I have a skinny ankle (not overly so but I don't wear a wide shoe is the point).

Thx - Amy

2014-08-05 9:05 AM
in reply to: miamiamy

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
Subject: RE: shoe opinions
Roadrunner sports has a 60 days guarantee for their shoes… I would buy the ones your interested in and give them a try, the only cost if they don't work out would be the returning shipping (and I guess the cost of locking up the money until you get the refund, which is usually within a day or two after the return has been received).

With the way you describe your running, I'm quite surprised that Newton's didn't work for you… What model did you try and what didn't you like about them?
2014-08-05 2:33 PM

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington

I have no experience with the On One shoes, but I do have some with the Altras. I bought a pair of the first generation Instinct, after modifying some Nike shoes to be zero drop, and doing some miles in Merell Trail Gloves. The day I got the Instincts, I ran a 10-miler in them -- my longest run in that training cycle. That's kind of a major no-no, doing your longest run in new shoes. But I had ZERO issues with comfort. No blisters, hot spots, numbness, anything. I put well over 500 miles on them before retiring them from my training rotation, and they still look pretty good. If I didn't still have a bunch of test shoes from Skechers I'd buy another pair (actually I'd probably go for the Superior of The One2). I love the fit of the Altras -- to me, they're one of the very few that has the toe box figured out.

Okay, so I'll post the usual disclaimers since I sound like such a shill for Altra -- I have no affiliation with Altra whatsoever, have never received any free product from them (okay, I got a T-shirt), and am not related to any of the founders or employees. About the closest I've come to any one that's tied to Altra is a phone conversation with Brian Beckstead a couple years ago, and passing some one who grew up with Golden Harper (who was wearing Altras) while on a bike ride a month or two ago.

2014-08-11 11:13 AM

User image

Saint Marys, Georgia
if you like neutral and minimalist i would recommend the inov-8 tri-x-treme 275
2014-08-12 10:48 PM
in reply to: #5035238

User image

Iowa City, Iowa
I recently switched from VFFs to the new balance minimus MR10v2 shoes. The ones I own have a wide toe portion. I like these shoes a lot.
2014-08-16 1:06 AM
in reply to: ChemNerd23

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho

I love the Pearl Izumi eMotion line of shoes.  Lots of options for fit, stability requirements, amount of cushioning etc.  

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » shoe opinions Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Opinions on Zoot running shoes

Started by freer
Views: 1175 Posts: 8

2010-07-08 10:05 AM Plissken74

Shoes, shoes, shoes

Started by trinewbie67
Views: 1336 Posts: 4

2010-04-23 1:30 PM mrcurtain

Triathlon Cycling Shoes- Opinions Needed

Started by mwhitely
Views: 1155 Posts: 7

2010-04-18 11:20 PM adameldridge

Shoe covers for running shoes???

Started by Zilla
Views: 1590 Posts: 5

2006-02-12 6:22 PM vortmax

road shoes or tri shoes?

Started by autumn
Views: 1002 Posts: 4

2004-09-17 2:36 PM autumn
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 5, 2013
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
So, since my beloved go-to shoe brand has changed its shoe, after reading the bruhaha about the minimalist shoe, I decided to give it a try. Now I have a foot issue with my arch area.

date : May 2, 2012
author : alicefoeller
comments : 3
A comprehensive look at a controversial trend-- for triathletes like you
date : November 2, 2011
comments : 4
A doctor's take on how to safely transition to minimalist shoes and how to treat existing injuries

date : March 23, 2011
What could be causing the pain on the top of the foot at the toes? Here are some easy ways to find the cause and possibly end the pain.
date : January 7, 2007
author : Writebrained
Both the Lake Triathlon Shoe CX210TRI and the Lake Road Shoe CX225 offer distinct advantages. I tested both shoes and found them to be extremely comfortable, good looking and durable.

date : December 31, 2006
Before you lace up your shoes, pump air into your bike tires, or check the fit of your swimsuit, there are some other considerations to help keep you exercising safely well into 2007 and beyond.
date : July 30, 2006
I started riding this spring with the Carnac shoes on Look pedals (with plenty of float). About five minutes into a ride I get sharp pain on the outer edge of my feet, just behind the pedal.

date : July 3, 2006
They are comfortable, but on longer runs the ball of my foot starts to heat up. I actually had to STOP, take off the shoe, massage my foot. This would help for a while, but the pain usually returned.