General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First IM 70.3 on a road bike Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-08-06 10:31 PM

Subject: First IM 70.3 on a road bike
I will be doing my first 70.3 in about 6 weeks and I'm pretty intimidated though my goal is to simply finish without incident. I own a road bike (no aerobars), trek Domane '13 and don't intend to get another bike before the race.

For those who have done this distance (or greater) do you see many road bikes (and bikes without bars) at this distance? I obviously know I will be at a disadvantage due to the overwhelming number of tri bikes that will be racked alongside me (I'm typically one of the first to the racks after the swim smile at all the bikes on the rack but see those bikes racked when I get to T2 - so either these guys never made it out of the water or more likely they passed me on the road).

I've considered aerobars simply for a new hand position but the choices are overwhelming (for a road bike I'm set up and was fitted fairly aggressively with a short stem, seat forward, and even have the handle bar to the lowest height below most of the spacers/risers) but at this point having trained without them and really not having my seat in a tru ri position I'm not sure what they would do for me now - or do people advise them?

I'm thinking that all I want to do is get through this race without injury or incident and under the maximal cutoff for time. If I enjoy this distance (so far I enjoy sprint and Oly) I would then consider bars (possibly a system like RedShift) or a dedicated tribike if the spouse allows....does this make sense? Or should I consider bars (do you see many roadbikes without bars at this distance?) for this race?

2014-08-06 10:46 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: First IM 70.3 on a road bike

I did a HIM on a road bike and it's perfectly fine.(of course, I'm from a time when none of us had tri bikes)  I passed some tri bikes and some tri bikes passed me......at the end of the day I was better off because that's what I had been riding and I was comfortable on it.  If I were you, with 6 weeks to go, I'd train with what I was used to rather than worrying about a new set up.  You'll be good.

Edited by Left Brain 2014-08-06 10:47 PM
2014-08-06 11:39 PM
in reply to: gzh6464

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC

So far I've finished two HIM on my road bike.  I'm not especially fast but no one laughs at me and I have fun.  I didn't pay attention to how many other people were riding road bikes but there were quite a few.  Just go have fun.

2014-08-07 6:06 AM
in reply to: #5036152

I finished Racine a few weeks ago on a Trek 1.1, which is the absolute entry level bike trek has... I wasn't even the only person there riding a 1.1. You'll be fine.
2014-08-07 10:15 AM
in reply to: #5036186

Both of mine were on a road bike Trek 2.1 (2007 model?) and my next one will be too. Focus on the rider, not the ride - you'll do just fine!
2014-08-07 10:55 AM
in reply to: Spartypants

User image

Regular
Levittown, PA
I have my first HIM (Princeton) in about 6 weeks as well and I'll be on a road bike. In fact, I'm on a road bike thats probably a size or two too big for me. I just don't have the funds to get a better bike that fits right now. Make due with that you have. I have a forward leaning seat post to make the reach to the handle bars better and have some short aero bars. My bike is also about 10-15 years old. I'm not worried about other peoples bikes or whether I'll be one of only a few road bikes out there. Just go out and have fun. Good luck

2014-08-07 11:00 AM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

I saw lots of road bikes with no aerobars at both of my HIMs last year.  Enjoy the race!

2014-08-07 11:57 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran

Originally posted by gzh6464 I will be doing my first 70.3 in about 6 weeks and I'm pretty intimidated though my goal is to simply finish without incident. I own a road bike (no aerobars), trek Domane '13 and don't intend to get another bike before the race. For those who have done this distance (or greater) do you see many road bikes (and bikes without bars) at this distance? I obviously know I will be at a disadvantage due to the overwhelming number of tri bikes that will be racked alongside me (I'm typically one of the first to the racks after the swim smile at all the bikes on the rack but see those bikes racked when I get to T2 - so either these guys never made it out of the water or more likely they passed me on the road). I've considered aerobars simply for a new hand position but the choices are overwhelming (for a road bike I'm set up and was fitted fairly aggressively with a short stem, seat forward, and even have the handle bar to the lowest height below most of the spacers/risers) but at this point having trained without them and really not having my seat in a tru ri position I'm not sure what they would do for me now - or do people advise them? I'm thinking that all I want to do is get through this race without injury or incident and under the maximal cutoff for time. If I enjoy this distance (so far I enjoy sprint and Oly) I would then consider bars (possibly a system like RedShift) or a dedicated tribike if the spouse allows....does this make sense? Or should I consider bars (do you see many roadbikes without bars at this distance?) for this race?

I did my first HIM on a road bike with ZERO problems and a 20.1 MPH average. (Profile Pic is from my race)

I did all of my training with a road bike configuration; however I did try the aerobar thing and it did not work for me so I decided I did not have time to adapt and reverted to the basic road bike setup. There were all sorts of bike and abilities… I got past by Tribikes and road bikes… I past Tribikes and road bikes so just have a plan and stick to it.

My plan was to get out of the water and on my bike in less than 1 hour. Check! Done and out on the bike course in 52 min. The Bike plan was to stay at a 20 MPH speed (flat course) so I slowed down a few times to make sure I could run off the bike. Finished the bike in 2:49 and then ran for home!

You will be fine! Don’t get caught up in the equipment thing and just have fun!!!

Edited by 1_Mad_Madone 2014-08-07 12:21 PM
2014-08-07 1:38 PM
in reply to: 1_Mad_Madone

User image

Denver, CO

I'm really glad to see this thread.  Due to hip and back issues, I can't even ride in the drops on my road bike right now so a tri bike is pretty much out of the question.  That may change, but I doubt it.  I'm doing my 1st tri in a week & a half, but planning to do a HIM in a few years - shooting for my 50th b-day in 5 years, and it might be sooner.  I was worried that I wouldn't be able to do it unless I was on a tri bike.  Good to know that I can manage with my road bike, even without aero bars.  OP, thanks for the question, and everybody else, thanks for the reassurance.

2014-08-07 3:57 PM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Veteran
I'm in the exact same situation as the OP. I just recently got some clip-on aerobars from the Classifieds here on BT and will be giving them a go soon. I've got a little longer before my race (9 weeks) and so I'm hoping to be pretty acclimated to them by then. Helps that it is a pretty flat course as well. However, I wouldn't have had any reservations about doing the whole thing in my basic road setup - it's your race, and as long as you are making the cutoffs then what equipment you use is completely up to you (within the rules, of course).

Good luck in your race!
2014-08-08 6:32 AM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Veteran

Originally posted by laffinrock

I'm really glad to see this thread.  Due to hip and back issues, I can't even ride in the drops on my road bike right now so a tri bike is pretty much out of the question.  That may change, but I doubt it.  I'm doing my 1st tri in a week & a half, but planning to do a HIM in a few years - shooting for my 50th b-day in 5 years, and it might be sooner.  I was worried that I wouldn't be able to do it unless I was on a tri bike.  Good to know that I can manage with my road bike, even without aero bars.  OP, thanks for the question, and everybody else, thanks for the reassurance.

Little FYI, You will do great and the 50th Bday thing is perfect.. My 1st HIM (described in previous post) was my 50th Bday present and I would have to say it was the best yet!

51st may top it tho... IM Cozumel 2015...

2014-08-08 10:50 AM

User image

Veteran
I'm doing my first HIM in about 6 weeks on an entry level Fuji road bike. No worries at all.
2014-08-08 11:02 AM
in reply to: randym95

User image

Elite
Spokane, WA

My only HIM and IM were done on a roadie with no aero bars. Road bikes are designed to handle long rides comfortably.

2014-08-20 5:38 AM
in reply to: spiderjunior

Originally posted by spiderjunior

I have my first HIM (Princeton) in about 6 weeks as well and I'll be on a road bike. In fact, I'm on a road bike thats probably a size or two too big for me. I just don't have the funds to get a better bike that fits right now. Make due with that you have. I have a forward leaning seat post to make the reach to the handle bars better and have some short aero bars. My bike is also about 10-15 years old. I'm not worried about other peoples bikes or whether I'll be one of only a few road bikes out there. Just go out and have fun. Good luck

Princeton is also my first.
2014-08-20 8:42 AM
in reply to: Spartypants

User image

Regular
Wisconsin
Originally posted by Spartypants

Both of mine were on a road bike Trek 2.1 (2007 model?) and my next one will be too. Focus on the rider, not the ride - you'll do just fine!

Yep! My road bike goes just as fast as I can pedal it.
2014-08-20 8:59 AM
in reply to: Swimbikeron

I ride an entry level Bianchi road bike and have Profile Design T3+ clip-on aero bars and absolutely love them. I put them on myself and the didn't change much from my road position other than sliding the seat forward some. I am much more comfortable in aero position now after about a month and can stay in aero for long period of time. The biggest adjustment will be you neck getting used to the position which will take a little time but 6 weeks is plenty enough to get used to is, even if you only race half the race in aero.

2014-08-20 8:53 PM
in reply to: LSUTiger_11

The 2013 Domane is a beautiful bike. If you want to get yourself more aero, slam the stem, take a spacer or two out and ride the heck out of it (the lbs you bought it from should be willing to help you out with changing your fit to be more aggressive). Don't cheapen a beautiful road machine with clip on aerobars.
2014-08-21 9:26 PM
in reply to: ziggie204

I have it set very aggressively. Down to the bottom of the spacers and a shorter stem than the original stem.
2014-08-22 9:55 AM

User image

Master
Washington, DC Metro

Originally posted by gzh6464 I will be doing my first 70.3 in about 6 weeks and I'm pretty intimidated though my goal is to simply finish without incident. I own a road bike (no aerobars), trek Domane '13 and don't intend to get another bike before the race. For those who have done this distance (or greater) do you see many road bikes (and bikes without bars) at this distance? I obviously know I will be at a disadvantage due to the overwhelming number of tri bikes that will be racked alongside me (I'm typically one of the first to the racks after the swim smile at all the bikes on the rack but see those bikes racked when I get to T2 - so either these guys never made it out of the water or more likely they passed me on the road). I've considered aerobars simply for a new hand position but the choices are overwhelming (for a road bike I'm set up and was fitted fairly aggressively with a short stem, seat forward, and even have the handle bar to the lowest height below most of the spacers/risers) but at this point having trained without them and really not having my seat in a tru ri position I'm not sure what they would do for me now - or do people advise them? I'm thinking that all I want to do is get through this race without injury or incident and under the maximal cutoff for time. If I enjoy this distance (so far I enjoy sprint and Oly) I would then consider bars (possibly a system like RedShift) or a dedicated tribike if the spouse allows....does this make sense? Or should I consider bars (do you see many roadbikes without bars at this distance?) for this race?

Would swear on my kid's life (if I had one), that this is no joke... In my first HIM on one section of road, I came up on and passed a guy on a mountain bike.  Best part was in his back jersey pocket I saw a very familiar to me circular extrusion.  So as I passed I said to him "gotta ask man, is that a tin of chew in your jersey" the reply "yup".  To this day I don't know if I was more appalled or impressed!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First IM 70.3 on a road bike Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Road a road bike for the first time in 2+ years

Started by cstoulil
Views: 1286 Posts: 4

2012-10-01 12:55 PM beebs

What To Upgrade First on First Road Bike?

Started by GreenMtnLabbit
Views: 2264 Posts: 17

2012-08-01 2:30 PM wushunut

Bike Question, planning on competing in a 70.3 next year (Road or Tri-Bike)

Started by cecjap
Views: 1259 Posts: 5

2009-08-17 9:13 PM little_blaine

Kansas 70.3: road bike vs. mtn bike

Started by jcdenton2000
Views: 1731 Posts: 18

2008-06-14 6:54 PM famelec

First road bike... two monthes till first tri

Started by Bajapat
Views: 1154 Posts: 7

2007-04-13 9:58 AM tkbslc
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 26, 2013
author : mikericci
comments : 0
If you are a person who feels safer on the trails rather than the road, but you still want to race, this article will help you better train.

date : February 20, 2013
author : barryoberholzer
comments : 1
My lungs were burning and my legs were hurting but I had the biggest smile on my face as I ran on the red carpet and received my Ironman 70.3 medal.
date : July 28, 2012
author : dilletaunt
comments : 5
Another year, another excuse in missing the Ironman 70.3 Lake Stevens triathlon.

date : August 11, 2011
author : FitWerx
Dean from Fitwerx answers a BT member question about what kind of bike should be the "next bike."
date : July 1, 2009
author : mrmarkcole
comments : 37
Or why an Ironman 70.3 may not be your best choice for your first triathlon.

date : December 27, 2008
author : FitWerx
comments : 9
Are you a beginner triathlete? This video will compare triathlon bikes and road bikes to help you figure out what is best for you as you begin your triathlon training.
date : October 2, 2008
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
Discussions on Total Immersion swimming, strength training, road bike or triathlon bike, stationary biking for Ironman training, heat and GI issues and doing a HIM before a first IM.

date : September 10, 2004
author : steve
Well I said that I was not going to do it this season, but I cracked. I broke down and bought a new bike. I went out and bought a shiny new Cannondale road bike.