General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Patriots Half and Williamsburg Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-08-07 1:44 PM

User image

Veteran
Greensburg, PA
Subject: Patriots Half and Williamsburg
Hi all!
I am heading down next month for this race and have never been in the area before. I was wondering if anyone has done the race and could offer any advice or pointers? What is the river like to swim in? What are the bike and run courses like? I have read the reviews and it sounds like fun!
Also, any suggestions for places to eat? I always promise my husband some good food in exchange for supporting me!
Thanks for any help!
Karen

2014-08-07 2:07 PM
in reply to: #5036586

User image

Expert
Williamsburg, VA
Subject: RE: Patriots Half and Williamsburg
Karen,

It's been a couple years since I've done this race but it's a good one. River can have a pretty good current so watch out for that. Has a lot of silt so it is not clear and depending can be choppy if it's windy. Bike course is good but has a few small false flats, and few rolling hills. It's a bit on the rough side in places. I do the ride a lot for my training for IMFL. run is a nice one. Flat and has some shade. It does go onto a wooded trail which is easy on the knees! I do a lot of my running on that trail.

As for restaurants...there are a lot of good ones. If you want decent Italian that isn't chain, there is Sals by Victor. Very good! If your a foodie and don't mind spending a bit for good food Le Yaca is really good French food. There is a great locals hang out for seafood called Oceans and Ale. Probably the best fish tacos I've ever had. If you have any other questions you can email me at [email protected]. I live right around the corner from the race!
2014-08-07 3:13 PM
in reply to: gadgetlaw

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

my favorite restaurant in Williamsburg is called Second Street, look it up online.  their shrimp and grits are awesome.

one other caution about the swim - the river is tidal in that area which can make things very different - or if you pre-swim on friday (the beach is open to the public so you can go out there any time) it may be completely different the next day.  there is a long run out of the water to transition - some sand, some grass.  the bike course is great for riding but terrible for spectators.  

i will be racing the sprint that weekend (i think!)  good luck!!

2014-08-20 1:55 PM
in reply to: mehaner

User image

Veteran
Greensburg, PA
Thanks for the info! My husband is checking out the restaurants as I type! I am getting excited for the race. It sounds fun and a little different! Thanks again!
Karen
2014-08-25 2:57 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Alexandria, Virginia
The swim in the James river is brackish, with visibility being pretty low. The bike is a wonderfully flat course on unfrequented roads (there's a metric century ride earlier this year hosted by set up events that mirrors the route). Run is flat,with most being on a paved path. Large portions of the run do not have tree shade so sunscreen might help the sensitive.

I did the sprint a few years ago, and the metric earlier this year, and I'm signed up for the half in a couple weeks. I'm not a local, but I'm from Northern Virginia and frequent the area.

Edited by phifatech 2014-08-25 3:03 PM
2014-08-26 2:43 AM

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

Originally posted by gadgetlaw Thanks for the info! My husband is checking out the restaurants as I type! I am getting excited for the race. It sounds fun and a little different! Thanks again! Karen

also - if you are a breakfast lover (i am) my favorite post-patriots breakfast is five forks cafe.  the sprint has basically zero after-race atmosphere, not sure if on the HIM day its any better?  AG prizes are local wine - from Williamsburg Winery - wine is not the best but the tour of the winery is worth the $10 they charge, beautiful property!  something to do post-race if you and husband are into that.  the winery's restaurant is also very good.  this is also quite close to the race site.

2014-08-26 12:37 PM
in reply to: phifatech

User image

Veteran
Greensburg, PA
Thanks for the info about the course!
And, I am absolutely a breakfast lover! I could eat pancakes all day long!! We will definitely check out Five Forks!
Karen
2014-09-04 6:42 PM

User image

Expert
Culpeper, VA
My wife like's Captain George's, its a seafood buffet restaurant. A bit $$ but good.

Swim is okay, no visibility the water is pretty murky and you should pay attention to the currents... swim wide if you need to, take advantage of currents when you have them. Bike ride is flat and unless you have a head wind a fast course... run course is flat. I'm racing the sprint and I may try to take my wetsuit off down by the river this year. The run to T1 is a bit of a hike up an incline.

I'm trying to work out where to get a shower... have a great race everyone!
2014-09-04 8:17 PM
in reply to: xeon

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

Originally posted by xeon My wife like's Captain George's, its a seafood buffet restaurant. A bit $$ but good. Swim is okay, no visibility the water is pretty murky and you should pay attention to the currents... swim wide if you need to, take advantage of currents when you have them. Bike ride is flat and unless you have a head wind a fast course... run course is flat. I'm racing the sprint and I may try to take my wetsuit off down by the river this year. The run to T1 is a bit of a hike up an incline. I'm trying to work out where to get a shower... have a great race everyone!

water temp measured at 80 this morning, might not need to worry about the wetsuit!

2014-09-05 1:52 PM
in reply to: mehaner

User image

Expert
Culpeper, VA
Looks like it will be a non-wetsuit swim which is fine by me. The buoy temp is 82-83 degrees. You never know, sometimes they find a spot that is 78. Bringing my sleeveless just in case and I may not wear it anyway.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Patriots Half and Williamsburg Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Rev3 Williamsburg 2013 Half Registration

Started by Dixbry
Views: 2694 Posts: 12

2012-07-06 5:57 AM maranna

New Half Marathon In Williamsburg

Started by Dano2010
Views: 4077 Posts: 9

2010-05-29 12:08 PM sk2a2005

Williamsburg Patriots

Started by verga
Views: 1707 Posts: 7

2010-01-29 7:29 AM verga

Williamsburg, Sunday May 3 Patriots Half Ride

Started by crazyyella
Views: 780 Posts: 3

2009-05-06 8:13 AM crazyyella

Patriots Half

Started by LSU2003
Views: 1148 Posts: 17

2007-09-07 1:57 PM jart0806
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 24, 2010
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
My question is am I playing with fire entering the half marathon this close to my primary goal for this season which is the HIM?

date : September 22, 2009
author : Ali Winslow
Is it realistic to race a sprint and Olympic distance race within 2-3 weeks of one another to gauge my progress before tackling the half Ironman?
date : November 17, 2008
author : mat steinmetz
comments : 7
I just started doing tris this summer and I have two under my belt, both sprints. Is it reasonable to build up for a Oly in early ā€˜09, with a HIM in Oct of ā€˜09

date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.
date : January 29, 2006
author : sl2302
I just had a couple of problems, I could count the number of triathlons I had contested at zero. Secondly, I could count on one hand the number of times I had been swimming in the last 17 years.

date : October 2, 2005
author : smeeko
comments : 2
I will assume you have not run consistently more than 6 miles and have never completed a half-marathon. I believe running your first half-marathon is a big task which requires dedication and work.
date : October 2, 2005
author : writers2
comments : 20
My First Half Ironman Experience-A Slow, Fat, Old Triathlete. Here is my story of my first, and probably only Half Ironman. Iā€™m an almost 52 year old, VERY Athena triathlete.

date : August 30, 2004
author : sherrick
comments : 40
This half Ironman plan covers many weeks of challenging, but attainable training for someone who has some endurance experience, and ideally some Olympic distance races within the past season.