General Discussion Race Reports! » Emmett's Most Excellent Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Emmett's Most Excellent Triathlon - Olympic Course - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Emmett, Idaho
United States
Gem County Recreation District
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 34m 13s
Overall Rank = 39/157
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 10/26
Pre-race routine:

Hometown race. Woke up at 6, ate my normal breakfast. Loaded up my gear (OCD-ified set up the night before) and the wife and I drove to the race.
Event warmup:

Swam a couple hundred yards EZ to get a feel for the water.
Swim
  • 29m 15s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 57s / 100 meters
Comments:

Almost impossible to draft. The water was too murky due to mudslides upstream. I could not see my elbows while swimming, let alone my hands. I did draft by feel for a couple hundred meters. I could just feel the kick turbulence with my hands.

Swam clean over two guys. I was veering left, and they were veering right. Goggles got messed up a bit on the first one, had to stop twice to get them situated.

Still managed my best pace yet.
What would you do differently?:

Work on my veering left issue. It was not too bad, but I know it adds distance that I can't afford to lose if I want to be competitive.
Transition 1
  • 02m 30s
Comments:

100 yd run to the bike, gave me time to strip the wetsuit halfway down. I still have a lot of free time I can pick up in transition. Using MTB shoes with quick laces, so I put them on in T1. Socks still take time. I will have to wean myself off them.

Easier access shoes, toughen up and go sockless. I may trim the legs on my wetsuit. It has stuck on the last two races.
Bike
  • 1h 10m 47s
  • 40 kms
  • 33.91 km/hr
Comments:

Best bike yet. I pushed harder than I ever have on the bike. averaged 21.4 mph, which is above any of my training rides near that distance. I still have a ways to go on the bike, but this is progress.

Wait until morning to fill my aero-bottle. It was wicked nasty tasting after stewing overnight. made do with the gatorade in my frame bottles.
Transition 2
  • 01m 26s
Comments:

Had a little trouble finding my rack spot, stopped one sawhorse early. My Father-in-law was right there, asked my # and said next rack (I had already figured it out by then)

Stripped off helmet and gloves, stepped out of MTB shoes and tried to put on my running shoes.

I had pushed hard on the bike, and I was shaky putting on my shoes. Didn't get the laces quite tight enough and had to adjust on the course.

Right before I left T2 I leaned across the fence and gave my wife a great big sweaty smooch! She was not overly impressed :)

Not much. Practice and get a bit smoother. I'm happy with my progress.
Run
  • 50m 15s
  • 10 kms
  • 05m 02s  min/km
Comments:

Came off the bike a little over hydrated, I felt just a tiny bit sloshy, and wanted to get a side stitch. Staved it off and kept running. I was worried about cramping due to the temp and my history of cramping, but not even a hint of a cramp throughout the run.

Note, I raced in my new Hoka's. Only my second run in them. Felt odd for the first half mile, then felt fantastic. I think I might love these shoes.

Dial in hydration on the bike. I didn't need to drink as much as I did.
Post race
Warm down:

Pizza, fruit, choc milk, and then more fruit :)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nothing but my newness. 13 months from the first time I started exercising in 19 years. I am still learning what I am capable of. Next year I think I can add at least 1mph to the bike, and shave 20s/mile off the run.

Event comments:

Great race, I am lucky to have such a great race so close to home.

Not to mention got my first hardware! I was 38th overall, 10 in AG, but I was the first local. 1st place trophy for Gem county, plus a sweet gift certificate to McU Sports!

The RD for the last 13 years retired after this race, here's hoping that the new RD can keep this race just as Excellent!

Profile Album

Last updated: 2014-08-09 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:29:15 | 1500 meters | 01m 57s / 100meters
Age Group: 11/26
Overall: 72/157
Performance: Good
Suit: Synergy Endorphine
Course: Long rectangle, keep buoys to the right. Water was muddy, looked like chocolate milk :) Way muddier than just two days before.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Bad
Waves: Good Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:30
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:10:47 | 40 kms | 33.91 km/hr
Age Group: 12/26
Overall: 46/157
Wind: Little
Course: Great course. 3 small hills to keep you honest. Out and partially back. Net downhill.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:26
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:50:15 | 10 kms | 05m 02s  min/km
Age Group: 11/26
Overall: 54/157
Averaged 8:06 min/mile. Wanted to go sub-8, but for my first shot at this distance I'm very happy with how well I paced.
Course: Two loops around a park and along side streets. 3 aid stations per loop. Great volunteers!
Keeping cool Average Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2014-08-09 10:54 PM

User image

Subject: Emmett's Most Excellent Triathlon - Olympic Course

2014-08-10 4:51 AM
in reply to: #5037639

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho
Subject: RE: Emmett's Most Excellent Triathlon - Olympic Course

NICE!

Man, that water was murky as hell.  lol

2014-08-10 11:10 AM
in reply to: jeffnboise

User image

Subject: RE: Emmett's Most Excellent Triathlon - Olympic Course
Yes it was. I was really going to try to draft this swim, but it was impossible with that soup I swam in the res on Thursday, and it was just a little murky from boating, probably 5ft visibility. I really thought we were going to have nice clear water, at least 10ft vis instead of the 1ft (or less) that we had.

That murky water definitely made for a lot more contact than I was anticipating. The whole time I was swimming over those two guys I couldn't see them at all. I'm just glad I was the one higher in the water

Still, I hit my goal time of sub 30 for the swim. No complaints. In fact I'll call that a fantastic learning experience for future races
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Emmett's Most Excellent Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Emmett's Most Excellent Triathlon - Olympic Course

Started by msj917
Views: 722 Posts: 1

2013-08-11 4:31 PM msj917

Started by PatsyID
Views: 1062 Posts: 1

2012-08-25 7:20 AM PatsyID

Emmett's Most Excellent Triathlon - Sprint Course

Started by bmogie
Views: 840 Posts: 1

2012-08-13 5:12 PM bmogie

Emmett's Most Excellent Triathlon - Sprint Course

Started by johamato
Views: 914 Posts: 1

2012-08-12 10:40 PM johamato

Started by JoshR
Views: 1698 Posts: 2

2011-08-20 10:29 PM PatsyID
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 2, 2010
author : HerveB
comments : 8
I looked at the swim buoys and start thinking, "Man! How am I ever going to swim that? That looks like a very long distance from the bridge. I have never done it in one go." There's no turning back.

date : October 20, 2008
author : araqnid
comments : 0
After doing duathlons for the last couple of years, I decided to go for a triathlon. Starting with an Olympic-distance race perhaps wasn't wise, but it was fun (of a sort).
date : February 5, 2008
author : Team BT
Complete course preview of the North East triathlon on 8/17/2008 featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!

date : December 3, 2007
author : Team BT
comments : 1
Complete course preview of the New Jersey State triathlon featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!
date : June 21, 2006
author : Ron
Any good race director will go over the triathlon swim course directions many times.

date : September 1, 2004
author : infosteward
Experts agree, doing a “mock,” triathlon on the course you’re racing can aid you in your training; performance and most of all quell some nervous energy.
date : August 30, 2004
A couch to olympic triathlon training program. These programs will take you from a walk/run program, to a sprint, then to an olympic.

date : August 29, 2004
comments : 2
Program outline of the 16 and 20 week olympic triathlon training plans.