General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training Plan Attack Plan Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-08-11 10:40 AM

User image

Subject: Training Plan Attack Plan
Hey BTers,

I had a question/ need opinion for you because I didn't have a very successful year in training and racing. I wanted to completed about 3 to 5 races and due to my schedule and other commitments I only completed one. I know there is still time to do additional races before the fall but my question is should I just hang up my hat for the year or should I try to complete one or two more? My reasoning to not try to get anymore races is because 1. There is only one more sprint distance race close to where I live 2. I feel like my running is still pretty sub par. So my other thought would be to switch gears from a Olympic Tri training plan to more of a running focused training plan and start my winter schedule early and possibly do a early race in 2015.

Any thoughts would be helpful. I just think I need to focus on maybe building a stronger running base without feeling stress for a race. Thanks!

2014-08-11 10:49 AM
in reply to: Nvmiller

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN
Subject: RE: Training Plan Attack Plan

Originally posted by Nvmiller Hey BTers, I had a question/ need opinion for you because I didn't have a very successful year in training and racing. I wanted to completed about 3 to 5 races and due to my schedule and other commitments I only completed one. I know there is still time to do additional races before the fall but my question is should I just hang up my hat for the year or should I try to complete one or two more? My reasoning to not try to get anymore races is because 1. There is only one more sprint distance race close to where I live 2. I feel like my running is still pretty sub par. So my other thought would be to switch gears from a Olympic Tri training plan to more of a running focused training plan and start my winter schedule early and possibly do a early race in 2015. Any thoughts would be helpful. I just think I need to focus on maybe building a stronger running base without feeling stress for a race. Thanks!

I think you answered your own question by thinking you should build a stronger running base. I really do not think there is a righto r wrong answer though. You have to decide what you want to do. Nothing is worse than training for a race that you are not excited about racing, so if the triathlon does not fire you up, then why race it?

I was in the same boat, after finishing my 140.6, I really did not have the desire to run a tri for a awhile, I tried to train, but my heart wasnlt in it, so I did not race. Forward a couple of months and now I am fired up about a half marathon I have coming up, which will in turn help my running for next season!

2014-08-11 3:35 PM
in reply to: jford2309

User image

Ottawa, Ontario
^ I think jford hit the nail on the head - the answer is whatever keeps you motivated and excited. There's also nothing wrong with shifting your goals a little more long term - work on your running with the goal of having that improved for next year's season. Although with the one sprint left you may want to at least tackle that one.

I'm with you on the running thing. It's by far the worst part of my triathlon, and it's what'll keep me at sprint distance for a while. I feel pretty confident in my ability to swim/bike at Oly and HIM distances, but running more than 5K is pretty daunting to me at this point. But I couldn't stand the thought of focusing excessively on running. I enjoy biking and swimming too much (and HATE running). I'll always spend most of my training time on the bike because it's fun - doing triathlons keeps me motivated to run. I could definitely see myself slacking in that department if I knew I was going to be doing any tris for the next 8 months.
2014-08-11 4:13 PM

User image

Veteran
Grapevine, TX
You can't substitute race experience, and its easy fun experience on the short course circuit.

If you were more all over the place like having some long courses on your plan, I'd suggest toning down, but racing short course is easy to recover from, takes a minimal amount of investment and is just plain fun. Plus you can have run-centered training without really damaging your performance too much if you can manage to swim and ride a couple of times a week. Just make those high intensity workouts.

2014-08-11 11:22 PM

User image

Champion

Do that sprint.  Keep it light and fun for the first year - and it's a great experience.  If we have a winter like we did last year, it's going to be a long one...which means plenty of time to build some running before the next season.  Your going to be really jonesing to race this spring if you don't do it.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training Plan Attack Plan Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

2011 race plans vs 2011 training plans

Started by KirkD
Views: 1487 Posts: 5

2010-12-03 10:38 AM KirkD

traing plan question HIM (plan making me nervous 4 weeks out)

Started by trix
Views: 1571 Posts: 21

2009-10-13 12:25 PM Dlaxman31

Good Plan, bad Plan or Pipe Dream

Started by verga
Views: 926 Posts: 3

2009-08-01 9:06 PM jeffnboise

Ironman plans - Intermediate vs beginner silver 20 week plan

Started by ballyard7
Views: 1389 Posts: 5

2009-04-14 2:31 PM mrbbrad

Oly Plan/Mary Plan Slight Conflict

Started by wurkit_gurl
Views: 884 Posts: 3

2008-05-31 9:07 AM brain_bliss
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 21, 2011
author : mikericci
comments : 0
How to tweak your training plan to account for frequent races

date : February 3, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 4
Scheduling workouts in the Custom Training Plan Creator for an ideal, balanced, injury-free season
date : January 20, 2011
author : Coach AJ
comments : 3
Using a high-volume schedule for many months is not the best tactic. Build speed and skill several months out, and then transition to a high-volume IM plan.

date : July 19, 2009
This training plan has only 2 workouts per sport per week and peaks at 7.5 hours per week of training. Use this plan if you are time constrained or if you want to focus more on your family.
date : February 12, 2008
This plan is designed to make you go faster. 3 workouts per week in each sport, 2 days of strength training and core work. The maximum volume is around 10 hours toward the end of the 12 weeks.

date : February 12, 2008
comments : 1
This plan is designed to make you go faster. 3 workouts per week in each sport, 2 days of strength training and core work. The maximum volume is around 14 hours toward the end of the 10 weeks.
date : January 9, 2008
comments : 1
This plan is an advanced plan in terms of volume and intensity and appropriate for someone who is looking to go under 5:00 and as fast as 4:30. There isn’t a lot of fluff in the plan.

date : July 17, 2005
author : Brandon Heflin
So how do you plan for a season? Below, I’ve created a simple five step process to use as a primer for season planning.