Socorro Striders and Riders
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 30m 45s
Overall Rank = 29/58
Age Group = F4549
Age Group Rank = 6/8
Pre-race routine:

Socorro is only about 1.5 hours away but DH and I decided to drive down Friday night to make race morning more simple.

Friday evening we arrived at our hotel and walked to the hotel next door for packet pick up. Met the RD, super nice guy, and got the lay of the land. DH took a picture of the course map so we could drive it.

We then went to drive the run course and bike course. I'm so glad we did because when I had a derailleur issue race morning I knew how to react because I knew the elevation profile of the race.

Then we went to a local BBQ/Steakhouse for dinner where I was sensible with my dinner choice of a loaded baked potato and water... and then dessert happened. It was a HUGE ice-cream-sundae-thingy-with-hotfudge-oreos-whippedcram-toastedcoconut and could have fed a small family!!! I ate till I thought I'd better stop before hating myself then DH made a comment about quitter talk and proceeded to polish it off. :)

Then back to the hotel to relax and get ready for the race. We tried to watch How to Train a Dragon but it was one of those stoopid showings where they break in way too much to talk about the movie and characters so we turned it off and went to sleep.

Alarm went off at 5:30 and I got up applied sunscreen and got dressed. I had bug spray there because one of my team-mates had warned us that this race was buggy. But I'm stoopid and decided that I hadn't noticed bugs when we were out the prior evening so I left it there, unused.

I grabbed my gear and my bagel and almond butter and headed down to the breakfast area to toast my bagel. It was pretty cool. The walls of the breakfast area were lined with bikes and transition bags! So I toasted my bagel, schmeared the almond butter, grabbed a cup of hotel coffee and stuck that in my bottle cage and started walking toward transition, eating my bagel. As I walked C rode up next to me then decided to walk with me. As we walked, Coach and R pulled up next to us in the car (they drove down that morning) and said hi.

Got to transition and got a good end spot, C grabbed a spot a couple rows over on the end, R grabbed the spot next to me, I have no idea where Coach parked :)

I got body marked then went back to set up. I realized my bike was in the big gear so pushed down the lever and spun the pedal to adjust that but... Fi didn't want to shift... Uh Oh. So I tried again a couple times. Nope. I found the RD and asked him if there would be a mechanic on site. He said they had one lined up but he'd called that he wouldn't make it :( So I text DH and he said he'd shower and be there asap. I felt bad for making him come early when he had a chance to finally not be there so early. I fiddled with the derailleur a bit more and got it to go to the small gear. While I waited for DH I did a bit of warm-up with Coach and the others then DH and I looked at my bike. DH got it where it would shift small to big but not back to small. So I knew I had one shift out there and better play it at the right time.

Somewhere amidst dealing with the mechanical and warming up I realized I was being eaten by mosquitos. I text DH to warn him to use the bug spray and I found a volunteer that had a spray bottle. :-*

Pix with the group then it was time for the pre-race meeting, national anthem and then Coach gave the invocation (so cool). After that everyone headed over to start getting seeded.
Event warmup:

Some easy running, strides and stretching.
Swim
  • 09m 37s
  • 400 meters
  • 02m 24s / 100 meters
Comments:

I've never done a seeded swim start because I thought I'd end up starting last and therefore hate the whole race. Well I wasn't last and I enjoyed the swim. It was a nice 50 meter outdoor pool! Unfortunately I forgot to turn on my watch until just as I was getting in the pool (idiot) so I didn't get to measure the whole race on my new expensive watch.

As the line moved up I got to cheer for C as she got out of the pool and head toward T1. I spotted Coach in one of the lanes and yelled for him as he turned at the end of the lane. Then it was getting close to my turn. I got in as the person ahead of me took off and then it was a go!

I might have been able to push this a bit harder. I raced slower than we measured me a few days ago. I was trying to pull hard and not get in to a freaked out windmill stroke. I got passed by one guy and was able to ride his feet for the better part of 50 yards. I'd told coach that I would see how it went as far as pushing off and going under the lane rope. That only works when it's not crowded and I was able to do that most of the turns.

In the last lane it seemed a bit more "crowded" there were three of us finishing at about the same time but I didn't wait but a couple seconds for the stairs.
What would you do differently?:

Maybe push harder. I need to decide before patriot whether to re-seed myself because that one is two directions per lane so correct seeding is much more critical.
Transition 1
  • 02m 38s
Comments:

Not sure what took so long :0 Out of the pool then on rugs and smooth pavement to my spot. No trouble spotting my spot, B had mentioned we were near the dumpster and paved driveway across the street. Good call. As I ran I got the watch to the bike portion of the multisport. I decided to only wear the bib for the run this time. Never done that before so I would just have to make sure I got the bib at run time.

Speed up, I guess. The top two in my AG (one of who was Coach Andie) were nearly 50 seconds faster than I was!
Bike
  • 45m 25s
  • 20 kms
  • 26.42 km/hr
Comments:

Started and finished the bike with DH cheering for me, that makes it all good!

I really enjoyed this bike course! I would have enjoyed it more if I'd had full use of my gears! It was undulating and I didn't want to go in to my big gear until I knew I could handle the remainder of the hills in the big gear. So I stayed in the small gear and tried to spin as fast as I could on the downhills, with a bit of cross chaining going on (Fi does not like cross chaining). As I rode out the first spur of the Y I saw B and Coach headed back and cheered for them, then as I headed back I saw R and cheered for him. Same same on the second spur of the Y. When I got to the furthest spot of the second spur I went in to the big ring and sailed down the hills. I'm wondering if I should have just done the whole thing in the big ring. Oh well, coulda shoulda woulda.

Not have mechanical issues? Fight through mechanical issues in the big ring instead of the small? More bike training
Transition 2
  • 01m 38s
Comments:

This one I'm only a few seconds slower than the others. I did remember to grab my bib, I also took a couple seconds to grab a swig of water from my bottle.

hurry up?
Run
  • 31m 24s
  • 5 kms
  • 06m 17s  min/km
Comments:

Started out with some cheers from DH and some training group friends cheering for me. This is a really flat course so I was getting ready to enjoy a great run. About a half mile in I felt a side cramp. I tried breathing it away and massaging it away but I was only able to get it to a managable level, so I eased up a bit and kept on truckin. I saw C and Coach headed to the finish pretty early on in my run and got to cheer them. About a mile in there was a water/gatorade stand and the kids had a super soaker so I let them blast me. Ahhhhhh. Kept on trucking, up the ever so slight hill on to the ditch road. Nice packed dirt. The ITBS really prefers dirt so this was a nice portion of the run, although I told one guy I passed that I was tempted to dive in the ditch and swim this part. Once back on the road there was a slight hill up the road to the next water and back down. During this spot I saw Coach Andie and V. Got a high five from Coach Andie then went up, did my turn around and started cruising to the finish. Just ahead of me there was a younger girl who made the turn shy of the cone. She basically ran up to the first water holder then turned around. Not by a huge amount, but it got me thinking about the poor people manning those and how much you let someone cut before you have to say something. Occupied the brain for a little while. Then made the turn at the first water station and knew I was almost there. As I approached they called my name to the cheers of DH and coaching group.

I'm pretty happy with this considering the fact that my running has been lacking because of the ITBS. I was hoping to feel better and really push this run and deal with the consequences later but my body had a different plan.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around a bit, pix with Coach, and of course DH had my chocolate milk (love that man). Watched for R and S to finish then went to the awards where C got 2nd in her AG! Which is really awesome except that she'll be in my AG next year :o

After awards I headed back to the hotel and grabbed a shower before we all headed to the micro brew for beers and lunch and converstaion and laughs and sharing pix before disbanding and heading back to ABQ.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Training, mechanical issues, ITBS, adult onset simmer

Event comments:

Of the small local races I've done I would rate this as one of the best. The RD is awesome, the course was perfect, there were PLENTY of volunteers, and 4 drink stations on the run and one on the bike for a sprint?!?!?!?!?! Amazing! Loved it!

Profile Album

Last updated: 2014-07-03 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:37 | 400 meters | 02m 24s / 100meters
Age Group: 6/8
Overall: 0/58
Performance: Average
Suit: Team Fight Tri Suit, no speed or wetsuit
Course: 50 yard pool, serpentine, one way per lane
Start type: Inside Pool Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:38
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:45:25 | 20 kms | 26.42 km/hr
Performance: Good
I think I need to wash my HRM. It shows my max HR at 120 and I know that ain't right :) Summary Distance: 12.42 mi Time: 46:22 Moving Time: 45:45 Elapsed Time: 48:34 Avg Speed: 16.1 mph Avg Moving Speed: 16.3 mph Max Speed: 27.8 mph Avg Pace: 3:44 min/mi Avg Moving Pace: 3:41 min/mi Best Pace: 2:10 min/mi Elevation Gain: 778 ft Elevation Loss: 794 ft Min Elevation: 4,193 ft Max Elevation: 4,660 ft Summary 46:21.9 12.42 16.1 1 18:57.6 5.00 15.8 2 18:58.0 5.00 15.8 3 8:26.2 2.42 17.2
Wind: None
Course: Kind of a derranged Y-shape. Go out through the college golf course then turn and go out for a while then come back and turn right again and go out for a while again and turn back then head back to T2.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:38
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:31:24 | 05 kms | 06m 17s  min/km
1 10:09.4 1.00 10:09 2 10:09.9 1.00 10:10 3 9:57.7 1.00 9:58 4 1:48.6 0.13 13:45 Again, I think the HRM was sleeping
Course: Out and back with a loop from about a mile to about 2 miles
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2014-08-11 11:50 AM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
Subject: Socorro Chile Harvest Triathlon

2014-08-11 12:03 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Denver, CO
Subject: RE: Socorro Chile Harvest Triathlon

Way to go, TJ!!  Looks like this was a really fun, well organized race.  Darned derailleur issue, but you overcame it and had a good time anyway.  Yay!!  (Yay for DH too. You're right - he's the best!!)

Edited by laffinrock 2014-08-11 12:22 PM
2014-08-11 12:11 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pennsylvania

Sounds like you gave the best of what you had and completed a good race despite the bike derailleur issue.  How frustrating, but you managed it smartly.  It's always fun racing with friends, and that DH is a keeper, supplying you with cold chocolate milk!  Nice work, TJ.  Did your ITBS flare up after the race or was it happy?  Love the name of the race, too!

Edited by melbo55 2014-08-11 12:11 PM
2014-08-11 12:31 PM
in reply to: #5038062

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Thanks girls.

The ITBS didn't bother me at all! Yay! But I would have liked to push it more on the run.

2014-08-11 3:46 PM
in reply to: #5038062

User image

Congrats TJ. Also, I love reading your threads (inspiration). Since, I live NM, I'm looking for tri's in the future.

Two more weeks before live.love.tri.(first tri).
2014-08-11 3:52 PM
in reply to: Phebes

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by Phebes Congrats TJ. Also, I love reading your threads (inspiration). Since, I live NM, I'm looking for tri's in the future. Two more weeks before live.love.tri.(first tri).

I train with a girl who is doing that one. I'm still considering it. I've heard that the number of registrants is really low so far this year. How's your training coming along? Got the bike issues all figured out?

2014-08-11 4:07 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Originally posted by rrrunner

Originally posted by Phebes Congrats TJ. Also, I love reading your threads (inspiration). Since, I live NM, I'm looking for tri's in the future. Two more weeks before live.love.tri.(first tri).

I train with a girl who is doing that one. I'm still considering it. I've heard that the number of registrants is really low so far this year. How's your training coming along? Got the bike issues all figured out?

I'm still average on my biking skills, but, I practiced a lot on hills. I don't think the undulating hills at Idalia Road is going to intimidate me .

I hope more ladies sign-up. I think the more the funner.

In the future, my next tri is "recreational tri" in Phoenix. Have you heard of Spa Girl Tri (http://www.spagirltri.com/). It's a tri at a Marriott resort. It would be my first OWS on man made river. The fee is expensive, but they will pamper you after the finish line
2014-08-11 4:25 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by Phebes

I'm still average on my biking skills, but, I practiced a lot on hills. I don't think the undulating hills at Idalia Road is going to intimidate me . I hope more ladies sign-up. I think the more the funner. In the future, my next tri is "recreational tri" in Phoenix. Have you heard of Spa Girl Tri (http://www.spagirltri.com/). It's a tri at a Marriott resort. It would be my first OWS on man made river. The fee is expensive, but they will pamper you after the finish line

That sounds awesome!!!!!!!!!

2014-08-11 4:50 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Denver, CO

I'm still average on my biking skills, but, I practiced a lot on hills. I don't think the undulating hills at Idalia Road is going to intimidate me . I hope more ladies sign-up. I think the more the funner. In the future, my next tri is "recreational tri" in Phoenix. Have you heard of Spa Girl Tri (http://www.spagirltri.com/). It's a tri at a Marriott resort. It would be my first OWS on man made river. The fee is expensive, but they will pamper you after the finish line

Phebes, there's another BT'er doing the Spa Girl.  She lives in AZ and her name is Deanna (user name dmgaudre).  It'll be her 1st tri.  TJ, she's in the Manatees, in case you're wondering why her info looks familiar.

2014-08-11 4:58 PM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Originally posted by laffinrock

Phebes, there's another BT'er doing the Spa Girl.  She lives in AZ and her name is Deanna (user name dmgaudre).  It'll be her 1st tri.  TJ, she's in the Manatees, in case you're wondering why her info looks familiar.

Thanks for the info.
2014-08-12 7:41 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Good job TJ. Working through mechanicals can get frustrating, but it didn't seem to bother you, you came up with a solution and worked through it.  Way to keep your emotions in check and keep moving forward!

2014-08-13 10:25 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Seattle

Great job TJ! There are lots of variables you can't totally control (adult onset swimmer, mechanical) but you worked through them well.

Keep on keepin' on!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Socorro Chile Harvest Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Socorro Chile Harvest Triathlon

Started by mdmestas
Views: 819 Posts: 1

2013-09-18 9:22 AM mdmestas

Socorro Chile Harvest Triathlon

Started by trinity
Views: 728 Posts: 1