General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Transition from road bike to tri bike. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-08-12 11:14 AM

Subject: Transition from road bike to tri bike.
I put about 1,000 miles on my road bike over the last year. In the last few weeks i purchased a tri bike. Got sized and did a quick fit at the LBS. I plan on going back and doing a body geometry or retuel 3d fit after i spend some time on the bike and get a feel for what needs adjusting. I have put about 50 miles on the new tri bike and it is fast! My question for you guys is does it take a little while to get used to the more aggressive position as far as comfort in lower back and shoulders when in aero. I had clip on aero bars on my road bike and i remember a small adjustment period. Just want to know what you guys have to say as far as the transition from road bike to tri bike. I'll hang up and listen. Thanks

2014-08-12 11:42 AM
in reply to: chickennugget

Veteran
41° 4' 36" N 71° 56' 10" W
Subject: RE: Transition from road bike to tri bike.
I had a good 2-3 hr fiting at the beginning. My first ride after 20 miles was like "I don't know if I like this fit.." to 50 miles in the saddle and in aero and no problems, the process took about 4 months for me to really get used to that position. Its one thing to do it in a shop fitting, but another thing being in that position on the road for more than a couple hours. I found that I had to recondition my legs a little since I feel like I am using slightly different muscles.

Now I am going for a re-fit, which is part of the package deal.

Hard to say if my bike is really that fast versus my road bike. Maybe just a little. The big impovement is coming off the bike onto the run. I just don't ache like I did on my road bike after those long rides. For me its all about fun and now I ride more because I'm more comfortable = more fun.

2014-08-12 11:57 AM

Yes, it takes some time to get used to pro-longed time in the bars. For me, it was mostly in the neck. I found having a good helmet was important. I had a cheapo road helmet that weighted a ton and didn't sit on my head well. Went out and got a Rudy road helmet and it cured a lot of my lingering neck issues. I've never go cheap on a helmet again.
2014-08-12 4:54 PM

After riding my road bike for several triathlons and century rides I decided to buy a tri specific bike last fall (I really didn't like the idea of buying aero bars and readjusting my road bike).

The first few times on the tri bike were hard. My neck, shoulders, and back were sore. A part of me was thinking that this purchase was a mistake and that I should have just stuck to my road bike. However, after reading posts on here I decided to give it a chance and suck it up. After a while I adjusted and now it feels pretty good. Now I think I can stay in aero about 90% of the time. Overall, it took about a month of riding several days a week to finally have it feel comfortable. To date the longest ride I've done on my tri bike was 56 miles and that was duing my half ironman. This weekend will be another test for it as I am planning on doing a 124 mile charity ride.

In terms of speed, I think I might have gained 1-2mph, which might not even be from the bike but rather the training I've been putting in. One thing I've noticed going from the road bike to the tri bike is how great my legs feel getting off the bike and starting the run. My legs used to feel like lead for the few couple of miles and now I feel sort of energized when I start the run.
2014-08-12 5:21 PM

User image

Veteran
Apex, NC
Yes, it gets better (at least for me). For me it's soreness in the neck. 2-4 weeks on the bike and it gets much better.
2014-08-12 5:31 PM

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
To truly adjust to a new position, you will need somewhere between 500-1500 miles. If's not uncommon that it takes almost a full season before you start seeing any significant benefits.

2014-08-12 5:48 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Greenwood, South Carolina

I remember my first ride on my Tri bike and thought I made huge mistake. I was sore, felt uncomfortable and ready to go back to my road bike. Now I love my Tri bike and ride six hours without any issues. I road my road bike a few months ago and it felt so weird compared to my Tri bike.
2014-08-13 10:28 AM
in reply to: GODAWGS

Thanks for all the feed back guys. I appreciate it!
2014-08-13 11:09 AM

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
The other thing that seems to make a big difference IME is how comfortable an athlete is on a bicycle. If you spent your childhood riding everywhere, often on BMX and/or MTB, generally it is easier to move between bicycles with shorter transition phases.

OTOH for athletes who are learning to ride, the transition can be much longer, especially since a tribike handles quite a bit differently than a road bike.

Shane
2014-08-13 11:27 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan

It wasn't clear to me whether you purchased the TRI bike at the LBS or took the new purchase in to them for fit.

If you bought it from them hopefully they steered you to the model that fit you best vs. saying they can fit you to the bike you chose.

My personal experience is five years ago I bought a tri bike, had it fit at the shop I bought it from, then rode and rode in pain (bought it out of town so trips for re-adjustments weren't feasible) and eventually got to the point where things were tolerable.  HTFU was my mantra however honestly that's the wrong approach when it comes to comfort.

Fast forward to now and my LBS says they would never have sold me the bike I have (Cervelo P2SL) based on my body type.  They feel they can get me more comfortable but not where I should be for an iron distance bike leg...

Good luck..

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Transition from road bike to tri bike. Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Tri Bike vs Road bike/aero bike questions

Started by gzh6464
Views: 9199 Posts: 10

2017-02-03 7:37 PM Jonlmac

Transition road to Tri BIke

Started by JLH79
Views: 1183 Posts: 10

2013-04-01 5:52 PM JLH79

Transition from road to tri bike

Started by RazorTri
Views: 7338 Posts: 11

2010-12-23 8:11 PM trix

From Road bike to Tri bike *NEW BIKE*

Started by bradword
Views: 2280 Posts: 19

2007-08-25 10:21 PM tkbslc

to tri bike or to road bike

Started by elvis
Views: 1298 Posts: 4

2004-03-27 9:27 PM umbach
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 6, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 4
A Walmart bike, a borrowed road bike or a new carbon fiber bike? You don't need to break the bank for your first triathlon bike.

date : August 11, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Dean from Fitwerx answers a BT member question about what kind of bike should be the "next bike."
date : February 3, 2009
comments : 0
On my road bike after 45 minutes, I develop pain between my shoulder blades. It still persists unless I am on my tri bike.

date : December 27, 2008
comments : 9
Are you a beginner triathlete? This video will compare triathlon bikes and road bikes to help you figure out what is best for you as you begin your triathlon training.
date : December 15, 2008
I own both a road bike and a tri bike. I am wondering which bike I should be riding during off season training, or does it matter?

date : March 6, 2007
author : sportfactory
Bike upgrades to gain speed: better wheelsets, a tri-bike, road bike with aerobars, even getting rid of those love handles before getting that lighter bike.
date : July 30, 2006
author : Valdora Cycles
comments : 8
The triathlon bike vs. road bike quandary. Before you even ask the road bike vs. tri bike question, you should have a couple sprint triathlons or duathlons under your belt.

date : March 5, 2006
author : Team BT
There was a long run from the water to the transition area at the London Tri but I quickly found my bike and headed out onto the road.