Vermont Sun Triathlon Series
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 26m 48s
Overall Rank = 49/ 155
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 3/17
Pre-race routine:

Up at 4:30 am at camp. 1:15 drive to race, left at 5:45. Half sesame bagel, nothing on it, cup of coffee, chobani greek vanilla yogurt before I left, 1 banana an hour before race.
Event warmup:

Short jog of 1/2 mile or so to loosen up car legs. Very short swim to warm up and see how the water was about 20 minutes prior to start. An Olympic distance race was going at 8:00 before ours so had to stay out of their way.
Swim
  • 11m 18s
  • 600 yards
  • 01m 53s / 100 yards
Comments:

It was a frenzy at the start getting kicked, etc. I was in the last wave of the race for age 40+ women. I like that they did as many waves as they did though being in the last one you feel like you have to "catch up" to everyone else. The swim was becoming my strongest event and it was NOT on this day I don't think, I don't know. I felt tired when I got out and had a cramp in my left hamstring (never had that before). Rested it and it went away.
What would you do differently?:

I think I would warm up more and also time it closer to the race start if possible. at the very least I would get my arms/body moving to keep it warm. It felt like I went from a standstill to chaotic frenzy effort. This was my first one so it was a great learning experience.
Transition 1
  • 01m 54s
Comments:

I choose to throw socks on so I'm sure that slowed me down a bit. Ironically I had a hard time getting my cap off! It was kind of funny in a way, I've never had that happen before! I did use Body Glide on my wrists and ankles under my suit and about 3 inches up on the outside of the suit on the arms and legs - this helped significantly in getting the suit off.

Get my cap off faster and don't bother with socks.
Bike
  • 46m 53s
  • 14 miles
  • 17.92 mile/hr
Comments:

I went hard, I don't think I could have gone too much harder considering I had been at camp for a week and a half and not getting good sleep. I definitely need to continue to focus on hydration. I had 2 or 2 honey stingers and Nu'un. I chose to try wildberry flavor Nu'un which was a mistake. It tasted too much like the Gatorade I threw up post half marathon a few years ago. My stomach was churning.

Get better sleep in the week leading up to the race. Other than that I couldn't do much differently. Oh...gain balance to jump off my bike more efficiently coming into T2.
Transition 2
  • 01m 1s
Comments:

My time wasn't too bad but I need to learn to jump off my bike. I definitely wasted time going into T2 with this. I also didn't think to unbuckle my helmet on the way in.

develop the confidence and balance to swing a leg over and ride the last 30 feet on one pedal. Remember to unbuckle helmet before getting to rack. Get shoes with quick ties so I don't have to tie my shoes.
Run
  • 25m 42s
  • 5 kms
  • 05m 08s  min/km
Comments:

I had one sip of water on the way out of T2 but there were no other water stops on the run (maybe there was another but I don't recall). I was spent. I felt like I wasn't having a good run - my first mile was about 9:00. It wasn't until I saw the result breakdown the next day did I know I ran 25:42. I would love to be sub 8:00 for a sprint - but this was my first one and I'm very happy with an 8:14 mile pace after swimming and biking!

Again, I need to hydrate more on the bike to prep me for the run. The last few miles were like a rollercoaster and I didn't want to chance drinking and screwing up. I felt a little nauseous on the run but I think that was due to the flavor of my drink more than anything.
Post race
Warm down:

Ate a piece of watermelon. Short walk. Only minor stretching - mainly quads. (shame on me, I should have stretched better).
i also had a piece of pizza...I won't do that again so close to the end of a race. LOL

What limited your ability to perform faster:

i think the week leading up to the race was taxing as we were at camp - sleeping on hard beds, enjoying a few more beverages than normal - hey, it's vacation. I think I wasn't as mentally into it as I could have been coming off the Colchester triathlon cancellation 2 weeks prior. This race wasn't even on my radar until just before going on vacation.

Event comments:

I like this race. It's definitely a challenge but doable! The venue is great - kids swam at the beach after the race. I was a deer in the headlights because it was my first race but everything was explained thoroughly so I knew where I had to be when. They do a nice job there!

Last updated: 2014-07-31 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:11:18 | 600 yards | 01m 53s / 100yards
Age Group: 4/17
Overall: 42/ 155
Performance: Average
Suit: Xterra full suit
Course: Course went straight out, then left turn 90 degrees, straight, left turn 180 degrees, 1/2 way back, right turn 90 degrees into beach. I saw some folks were confused and missed the last buoy and cut straight to the beach - oops.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:54
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:46:53 | 14 miles | 17.92 mile/hr
Overall: 54/ 155
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: "rolling hills" - lots. The whole course is rolling. At mile 11 there is a pretty significant hill (class 4 or 5 on mapmyrun) but I had a couple of rides under my belt in the Adirondacks so while it was tiring, it was very doable. The last 2 miles were lovely and downhill.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:01
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Bad
Running
00:25:42 | 05 kms | 05m 08s  min/km
Overall: 48/ 155
Performance: Good
Course: 5k hilly out and back. My pace was 8:14, not 5:14 as is listed above. Coming out of T2 you start a gentle uphill right off. It gets steeper near mile 1 followed by a slight downhill. At the start of an uphill the course turns around and heads back with an uphill again. Last mile is a gentle downhill to the finish.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2014-08-12 2:24 PM

User image

, Vermont
Subject: Vermont Sun Triathlon II

2014-08-12 4:49 PM
in reply to: #5038686

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA
Subject: RE: Vermont Sun Triathlon II

Great job on your first race!

2014-08-13 8:22 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Great job! That is worth a few cold beers!

2014-08-14 7:48 PM

User image

Expert
Congrats on what I hope is the first of many! Keep up the great work! Be sure to past some of the post race pics!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Vermont Sun Triathlon II Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Vermont Sun Triathlon

Started by adamsc2
Views: 1286 Posts: 2

2008-07-17 5:59 PM jashac

Vermont Sun Triathlon Series - Race #1

Started by velveeta
Views: 1104 Posts: 1

2008-03-27 6:19 PM velveeta

Vermont Sun Triathlon

Started by MJSlider8
Views: 1246 Posts: 1

2006-06-26 6:29 PM

Vermont Sun Triathlon

Started by ekbrenner
Views: 1243 Posts: 1

2005-07-25 8:29 PM ekbrenner

Vermont Sun Triathlon Series

Started by budstevens
Views: 940 Posts: 1

2005-06-20 6:36 PM budstevens
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 16, 2009
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Should I remove the PD Jammers bars and ride it as is, set-up for riding in the drops and hoods? Should I run my Easton Orion II wheels or my Hed Jet60 C2's for IMWI?

date : October 15, 2008
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
I've had shoulder problems since the very beginning of tri training. I did see an ortho who took x-rays and said I have a type II acromioin. I'd love to know some stretches to help my flexibility.
date : June 11, 2007
author : Courage
comments : 8
What is it that brought me to my knees one Sunday morning and then kicked me into a hole of self loathing and apparent depression? My apparent salvation was my old blue Fuji Royale II.