General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Arm Exercises for Swimming Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-08-14 8:01 PM

User image

Iowa City, Iowa
Subject: Arm Exercises for Swimming
Other than more swimming, I am curious what others do or would suggest to strengthen your arms for swimming. Push-ups, tricep workouts, curls, pull-ups, etc.? Or is this not really too big of a thing triathletes should worry about? Any advice is appreciated.

2014-08-15 12:05 AM
in reply to: ChemNerd23

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
Subject: RE: Arm Exercises for Swimming
Not so much a strength exercise, but 80% of swim improvements can be made from your underwater pull.

I highly recommend her book Swim Speed Secrets as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sr570KZvyBQ
2014-08-15 7:18 AM

Regular
Apple Valley, Minnesota
Lat pull-down, Deltoids, and Trapezius. I would focus on neck, back and chest as well.
2014-08-15 7:34 AM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

As your speed in the water is unlikely to be strength-limited, I would not spend a lot of extra time on strength training to make yourself faster.  Swimming more is your best bet by far.  However, if you are limited in the amount of time you are able to get in the water, then supplementing with some dry-land exercise may be worth the effort.  Many suggest band exercises where you can attempt to mimic the motion of the pull.

2014-08-15 8:02 AM
in reply to: JohnnyKay

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by JohnnyKay

As your speed in the water is unlikely to be strength-limited, I would not spend a lot of extra time on strength training to make yourself faster.  Swimming more is your best bet by far.  However, if you are limited in the amount of time you are able to get in the water, then supplementing with some dry-land exercise may be worth the effort.  Many suggest band exercises where you can attempt to mimic the motion of the pull.

I agree with this.  Swimming more is the best choice but band / stretchcords are probably your best bet as an alternative if that isn't an option.

2014-08-15 8:26 AM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

Weight training is my back-up plan when inclement weather keeps me from swimming.

If I can't get to the gym, I'll do some pushups, pullups, dumbell curls and lateral & forward dumbell raises at home.  I'll also do some regular and reverse crunches while I'm at it.

If I can get to the gym, I'll do the previously listed stuff plus bench presses, dumbell flyes, shoulder presses, lat pulldowns, tricep extensions/pressdowns, and machine rowing.

Mark

2014-08-15 12:19 PM
in reply to: RedCorvette

User image

Iowa City, Iowa
Thanks for the input everyone! I believe I may have discovered the reason why this is happening by reading some of the "Swimming Help - Post your videos" thread. I think my pull is too long and I guess I feel like a windmill in the water. I'll work on perfecting this as best as I can before my upcoming triathlon but it will certainly be a main focus in my winter training. Until then, I'll keep chucking away in the pool.
2014-08-15 12:51 PM

User image

I have recently come to realize that the main reason my swim sucks is that I basically have no catch. I have started reading the book that someone else mentioned. I have also been watching the videos from Evans Coaching on Youtube. He was the first one who really explained hand and arm position in a way that makes sense to me. He has several exercises on there that you can do out of the pool. After being stagnant for a year and a half, I have cut 6 minutes off of my 1500 m practice time in just two weeks. Of course, the real test will be in my race tomorrow. Try checking out those videos.
2014-08-15 2:46 PM
in reply to: happyscientist

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

Originally posted by happyscientist I have recently come to realize that the main reason my swim sucks is that I basically have no catch. I have started reading the book that someone else mentioned. I have also been watching the videos from Evans Coaching on Youtube. He was the first one who really explained hand and arm position in a way that makes sense to me. He has several exercises on there that you can do out of the pool. After being stagnant for a year and a half, I have cut 6 minutes off of my 1500 m practice time in just two weeks. Of course, the real test will be in my race tomorrow. Try checking out those videos.

There are a lot of different resources available to help with your swim technique.  I've borrowed bits and pieces of different philosophies over the years, going back to Doc Counsilman's classsic book The Science of Swimming back in the 70's (yes, I'm that old).  I'd suggest you take a look at different approaches until you find something that resonates with you individually.

Personally, Sheila Taomina's Swim Speed Secrets with her singular emphasis on the high elbow/early catch didn't really work for me and led to some shoulder issues.

I've had more success recently following the Fast Forward program that Coach Suzanne Atkinson (aka AdventureBear here on BT) runs on the TI Academy website.  The primary benefit has been to keep me mentally engaged with what I am doing in the water.   Lack of strength has never been an issue for me, but stroke efficiency has been.  When I was an age group swimmer in my teens, I seldom swam any races longer than 200M and could 'muscle' my way through them.  I found out early in my triathlon career that approach doesn't work so well over longer distances...

The TI focus on balance, alignment and core engagement has helped me a lot.  Although I'm still pretty much MOP pace-wise in my AG, I'm now doing it by being more efficient and expending a lot less effort in the water.

I also enjoy watching YouTube videos, especially of Sun Yang, the Chinese Olympic and World Record holder in the 1500M.  I'm always amazed at how effortless his stroke is.

Good luck with your race.

Mark

2014-08-17 6:05 AM
in reply to: RedCorvette

User image

Originally posted by RedCorvette

Originally posted by happyscientist I have recently come to realize that the main reason my swim sucks is that I basically have no catch. I have started reading the book that someone else mentioned. I have also been watching the videos from Evans Coaching on Youtube. He was the first one who really explained hand and arm position in a way that makes sense to me. He has several exercises on there that you can do out of the pool. After being stagnant for a year and a half, I have cut 6 minutes off of my 1500 m practice time in just two weeks. Of course, the real test will be in my race tomorrow. Try checking out those videos.

There are a lot of different resources available to help with your swim technique.  I've borrowed bits and pieces of different philosophies over the years, going back to Doc Counsilman's classsic book The Science of Swimming back in the 70's (yes, I'm that old).  I'd suggest you take a look at different approaches until you find something that resonates with you individually.

Personally, Sheila Taomina's Swim Speed Secrets with her singular emphasis on the high elbow/early catch didn't really work for me and led to some shoulder issues.

I've had more success recently following the Fast Forward program that Coach Suzanne Atkinson (aka AdventureBear here on BT) runs on the TI Academy website.  The primary benefit has been to keep me mentally engaged with what I am doing in the water.   Lack of strength has never been an issue for me, but stroke efficiency has been.  When I was an age group swimmer in my teens, I seldom swam any races longer than 200M and could 'muscle' my way through them.  I found out early in my triathlon career that approach doesn't work so well over longer distances...

The TI focus on balance, alignment and core engagement has helped me a lot.  Although I'm still pretty much MOP pace-wise in my AG, I'm now doing it by being more efficient and expending a lot less effort in the water.

I also enjoy watching YouTube videos, especially of Sun Yang, the Chinese Olympic and World Record holder in the 1500M.  I'm always amazed at how effortless his stroke is.

Good luck with your race.

Mark

I had tried the TI stuff and didn't see an improvement. Yesterday's race was 1000 m, and despite briefly losing my sighting (I know better than to follow other swimmers), my time was more than 3 minutes faster than the same course last year, just by focusing on my catch. I still have a long way to go, but that is the biggest improvement that I have seen in a long time.
2014-08-17 11:08 PM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
Originally posted by ChemNerd23

Other than more swimming, I am curious what others do or would suggest to strengthen your arms for swimming. Push-ups, tricep workouts, curls, pull-ups, etc.? Or is this not really too big of a thing triathletes should worry about? Any advice is appreciated.

Exercises in general that have helped me the most are yoga and in general the p90x and p90x3 type workouts. Yoga involves a lot of core strength in dynamic postures as well as lengthening the muscles while holding the core firm (like down dog for example...lengthening the body through the scapular stabilizers while keeping the core straight to the tail bone.

Triathletes apply more power yet create more drag when compared to pure swimmers (study by Huub), so strength is not typically a limiter as much as applying effective power against a streamlined, stabile balanced body position in the water.

---

Thanks, RedCorvette for the compliments. The fast forward program is only a small bit of skill and a large part the actual swim practices and how to find areas of improvement rather than just swimming hard sets. It builds on TI basics.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Arm Exercises for Swimming Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Core Exercises Video, part 2 - Prone exercises

Started by AdventureBear
Views: 916 Posts: 4

2010-02-11 9:20 PM AdventureBear

Looking for non-swimming swimming exercises.

Started by epicstruggle
Views: 1061 Posts: 7

2008-04-27 9:49 AM amiine

Swim question - one arm drills vs regular swimming

Started by ssshaunaaa
Views: 1502 Posts: 6

2007-04-02 6:31 AM KathyG

Cool exercise ball exercises

Started by AdventureBear
Views: 934 Posts: 4

2006-09-08 11:06 AM Micawber

Swimming with One Arm

Started by Exor
Views: 1282 Posts: 16

2006-06-14 10:19 PM Exor
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 17, 2009
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 0
I feel as if I am working very hard to actually breath especially on my right side. I also am not sure that I have the correct arm and hip rotation as it feels like I am fighting the water. Any help?

date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
The single arm drill ensures that you are getting the rotation you need throughout your stroke.
date : March 19, 2007
author : mrakes1
Straight Arm Crunch abdominal exercise instruction with picture and video.

date : June 23, 2006
Standing Bent Over Two-Arm Dumbbell Extension strength exercise instruction with picture and video.
date : June 23, 2006
One Arm Dumbbell Row strength exercise instruction with picture and video.

date : May 1, 2006
The one-arm drill. This drill will help you with body rotation, breathing, and pull. It also isolates one arm so you can really concentrate on what that arm is doing through the whole stroke cycle.
date : July 17, 2005
Now that you’ve mastered balancing on your side, it’s time to practice the foundation of the arm stroke.

date : February 13, 2005
The most common question I hear in the triathlete world about the mysteries of swimming efficiently usually involves something with breathing.