Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2014-08-15 1:54 PM
in reply to: mleech77

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: Running (and stopping) with dog

Originally posted by mleech77

Oooh.  Business idea!  Add some water bottles and a pouch for your iphone to that belt, and sell it to all we dog joggers!

But seriously- that photo of you with the 4 Huskies.... very cool.  I'll bet the dogs love it.

2014-08-15 1:59 PM
in reply to: morey000

User image

Haymarket, VA

Originally posted by morey000

Oooh.  Business idea!  Add some water bottles and a pouch for your iphone to that belt, and sell it to all we dog joggers!

But seriously- that photo of you with the 4 Huskies.... very cool.  I'll bet the dogs love it.

The second they see/hear me start to get the lines or harnesses out, they all crowd around the garage door ready to be geared up.  They absolutely love it.  They love bikejoring even more though because they can get some real speed then.

2014-08-15 2:05 PM
in reply to: mleech77

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by mleech77

The second they see/hear me start to get the lines or harnesses out, they all crowd around the garage door ready to be geared up.  They absolutely love it.  They love bikejoring even more though because they can get some real speed then.

How do you steer them in the right direction?  Do you use verbal commands to get them to turn?  Seems like you'd need to have a fair amount of space to go out like that and running/biking with them in a more urban area might not work.  Looks like a blast though!

2014-08-15 2:22 PM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Haymarket, VA

Originally posted by laffinrock

How do you steer them in the right direction?  Do you use verbal commands to get them to turn?  Seems like you'd need to have a fair amount of space to go out like that and running/biking with them in a more urban area might not work.  Looks like a blast though!

If I properly trained them they'd know their left from right based off of verbal commands, but I haven't put that much time into it yet.  If it's a clearly defined trail they are all great at staying on it.  If you've ever met a Husky you know they haven't met a single person/dog that shouldn't be their friend, mine especially so.  Much to my great surprise once those harnesses go on, the lines get hooked up, and they've got a trail in front of them, they ignore everything around them and just go.  We've passed other dogs, adults, kids, turkeys, and even deer, but none of it phased them.  The only thing that's distracted them has been horses.  When it comes time for turns they typically will want to continue in the direction they're already going, so just some vocal encouragement will get them to turn.  They've gotten familiar with the phrase "let's go" so if they hear anything else they figure they should be picking a different option.  If there's multiple options, I just keep up with the vocal encouragement until they pick the one I want and then I say "let's go" and they're off and running again.  More dedicated mushers/canicross/bikejoring/skijoring people teach their dogs specific commands for left and right, it's rather amazing.  I might get to that point eventually, but for now it's just something fun for the dogs to enjoy parts of my training with me.

In a more urban area you'd just want a shorter line so that you have more control of the dog(s).  That way they can't get too far ahead of you and potentially get crossed up or worse an unsafe area.  Shorter lines also typically have a handle on them for even greater control.

2014-08-15 3:44 PM
in reply to: #5039784

User image

Wakefield, Massachusetts
Wow, this got more traction than I thought it would!

Thanks for great suggestions. I usually do a short walk beforehand, but maybe not enough of one. And will definitely look into the canicross bungee leash. Even if I can't get him to quit with the stopping, it might still save my shoulder from dislocation.
2014-08-15 6:52 PM
in reply to: noofus

Originally posted by noofus

I prefer one of these, with the leash attached to BOTH rings:

This will never choke the dog. The prongs are not sharp. It will, however, give them strong positive punishment for undesired behavior. Once trained, they rarely need correction, but they know that if the collar is on, they MUST do as told.

FTFY
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reinforcement

2014-08-15 7:58 PM
in reply to: Sidney Porter

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
To some extent it doesn't matter what collar or leash you use. It's more about the training, but we use the metal slip collars shown before (not the prong ones)

We often walk our full pack of 6 mastiffs all at the same time. They know that when they are on the lead that means that they walk beside us in an orderly manner and they do not stop to sniff or pee. Only when they are let off and told "ok" do they wonder and sniff and pee. It takes some time to get to this point.

It is far easier when you start with a puppy but it is still achievable for an older dog. If you are letting him out before you go running then there is no need for him to be stopping and peeing while you are running he is marking territory rather than actually needing to go (yes even neutered dogs do this). As others have said if he starts to slow or look distracted give him a "come on let's go" and a bit of a tug on the lead. A week or so of consistently doing this when he starts to slow down and he will have it sorted.

(I probably wouldn't use a waisted belt unless he is fairly well voice controlled because you could end up with some fairly nasty injuries if he takes off whereas if you have a leash in your hand you can always drop it in an emergency if you really need to.)
2014-08-15 8:50 PM
in reply to: Fourteenkittens

User image

I run with my 4 year old lab mutt, like others have said it takes training and consistency. My dog has learned that runs are business ( well fun business ), I will let him water one tree and after that there is no stoping. I use the verbal " lets go" if he looks like he is interested in marking his territory vs. making a legit pit stop. Ive also gone through several lead options before finding the one that worked best. If we go by tall grass he loves to run through the grass with his nose to the ground but he knows we aren't stopping.
2014-08-15 9:40 PM
in reply to: PowerRuff

User image

Bronze member

My lab wears the prong collar for MY own protection. He is good about everything except rabbits. If he pulls I am going down . With the prong collar on he behaves.

We had a chihuahua we adopted from the shelter for a while. He came with assorted issues and one of them was wanting to pee on EVERY single lamp post or mailbox in sight. Really it was bizarre. I've never had a dog who had such a strong desire to pee on everything in sight. He was so small I was afraid of using a prong collar with him so I used to carry a small squirt bottle of water. He pulled the leash - he got a squirt in the back of the head.  He hated that, one squirt and he was the best boy the rest of the walk. Eventually he figured out if I was carrying the bottle and he would behave no squirts needed. The downside, of course, if we didn't have the bottle he would try to go at it again.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Running (and stopping) with dog Rss Feed  

of 2