General Discussion Race Reports! » Steelman Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Steelman Triathlon - Olympic Distance - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Quakertown, Pennsylvania
United States
Steelman Triathlon
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 31m 1s
Overall Rank = 69/400
Age Group = M 40-44
Age Group Rank = 9/43
Pre-race routine:

Drove up to Lake Nockamixon on Saturday for packet pickup. Changed out both tubes that morning and lubed up my bike and found a bulge on the rear tire. Went over to High Roads at the expo and asked about it but it was a slice in the tire and I needed a new tire. Fortunately they took Credit cards and I got a new tire and had the tech put it on since he already had the bike on the stand to look at it. Then I went for a ride and did one loop of the bike course without my bike shoes and then a loop of the run course. Then drove home.

Woke up at 4:15am and got out early getting to the park by 5:25am but still was shut out of the marina so had to park in one of the upper lots, which made bringing everything back to the car afterwards more of a challenge. Walked down to transition found a spot and set up (actually was in the wrong waves racks but didn't see that not that it really mattered as one wave in front of me. Talked to so folks, walked in a mega line for the porta potties and then got my wetsuit on.
Event warmup:

Did a quick swim out to the first bouy and back and then floated. Water was nice.
Swim
  • 26m 23s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 46s / 100 meters
Comments:

They told us right before the race that the chips had to be outside of the wetsuits so have to clump up my left suit leg to do that. 110 people in my wave the third wave of the day and all had to funnel 1 wide over the mat then into the water so it took a little while to get every on in the water. I found a spot on the right side fairly far up with some open water so started there. After the picture we were off. I think I only was lightly bumped once as I stayed outside of the traffic and pushed to the first buoy and then got into a nice smooth rhythm. Good steady swim after that point, stayed well outside on the first turn and drifted far left on the down leg and had to angle back but didn't add to much extra and stayed very contact free. as we rounded the peninsula and headed into the pier I was surrounded by green caps (the previous wave so I label that a pretty good swim.
What would you do differently?:

Not much. Should have swam more since Williamsburg but it wasn't bad at all.
Transition 1
  • 03m 15s
Comments:

Short jog up the boat ramp to transition, over shot my rack. Pulled off the legs of my wetsuit and flood of water from my left leg where I had to bunch it up. Little problem getting my gel in my suit but pretty good transition.

Might consider taping a single gel to my bike vice fighting to get it in that small pocket.
Bike
  • 1h 11m 56s
  • 24.84 miles
  • 20.72 mile/hr
Comments:

Started out and boom you are on the marina hill. I stayed seated and in the big ring and just grinded my way up nice and steady but it also helped me get warm. at the top of that hill I got going and had a few people pass me in the park. Avoided the speed plank on the outboard and had a guy with no shirt and a aero helmet pass me. I ended up going back and forth with this guy the rest of the ride as we repassed everyone who passed me in the park. We got another member of out group a guy with a disk wheel and an aero helmet and we passed each other 5-6 times. The course wasn't too crowded during the first loop and I got into a great rhythm but when ever I let down, one of my buddies would pass me back, until I got going again. The second loop was a lot more crowded as the folks from the sprint were coming up. Got very confusing as occasionally someone would pass but you would catch an S on there calf. Unfortunately most of these folks did not understand the whole ride to the right concept. Two lanes of closed traffic (and a very smooth section furthest right but on one occasion I literally had to go over the yellow lines to pass. Lost a lot of momentum at times which messed me up. Coming back up the hard hill had to pass a weaver who almost smacked into me and then was pissed off I didn't give him enough room, good thing I was well past him when I realized what he said. Back into the park there was another speed plank you had to be very careful off as it was on a slight downhill. The ride back to the marina was ok and I braked hard down the hill as the sharp right at the bottom is not a high speed turn. Good ride!

I did a lot of weaving the second loop which got me in to a few boxes and forced me to slow. I am programmed to ride as far right as possible but I guess I needed to be more conscious of the fact that there were a lot of less experienced folks in the sprint who just didn't know the rules/etiquette. Did good staying within myself early and building my effort.
Transition 2
  • 01m 22s
Comments:

Nice smooth transition. Found the balloon and didn't overshoot again, had a small issue racking as I missed on my first attempt. Good quick transition and took a last drink from my bike bottle before heading out.

Not much.
Run
  • 48m 6s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 07m 45s  min/mile
Comments:

Got started on the run and I tried to let my legs come in an get a good turnover, but It just seemed like it took forever for my legs to show up. THe path was absolutely packed. Saw Chris and Stephanie one their way back. My legs finally showed up about 2.5 miles in and I picked up the tempo a bit but still never really was able to shift to the fast gear. Got some water at two of the aid stations but probably should have gone for the Gatorade a bit more. Lots of folks and again very confusing trying to figure out what race people were in. Probably let that get me off my game mentally, but it is hard to get feedback when you are passing and being passed by so many folks.

This is a flat and fast run that I ran in the 46s in 2008, so I know I should have been able to go at least that fast this year. Need to stay mentally sharp and go by feel not what I'm seeing. Could have gone sub 2:30 with a decent run.
Post race
Warm down:

Got my iced towel and the hose shower a then got some food. Got my bike and packed up transition and walked my stuff out and up to the car. Loaded up the car and finished my juice from this morning and headed back down met up with Stephanie and then found Chris for a Team Rev 3 picture. Chris was 3rd OA and won his AG, and Stephanie was 3rd in her AG in the sprint two weeks after IMLP. THey texted the results to your phone which was pretty cool.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

A poor run and letting race traffic slow me down mentally and sometimes physically (ie boxing me in) Since was a PR by 2:09 over Rev3 Maine in 2012 and a course PR by over 5 min from 2008. Top 20% OA and top 10 in my AG is a good day!

Event comments:

Good race! 10th annual race, really nice swim and bike course and a fast run course. Lots of shade and great swag. Full sized high quality backpack was bigger and nicer than the ones I got at IMC and IMLP. Cool awards even though I didn't get one.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2014-08-15 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:26:23 | 1500 meters | 01m 46s / 100meters
Age Group: 9/43
Overall: 120/400
Performance: Good
Suit: Blue Seventy Hurricane 5 Full
Course: One loop down cross then up and around the peninsula and to the boat ramp. Nice big clean lake
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:15
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:11:56 | 24.84 miles | 20.72 mile/hr
Age Group: 6/43
Overall: 40/400
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: Starts out with a very steep hill climbing out of the marina and then a slow climb out of the park up to the highway. 2 loops up on the highway each loop had three distinct hills and some rollers the worse was at the top turnaround where you fly down the hill and then have to turn and lose all your momentum and have to go back up. Road was fully closed to traffic which was awesome.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Below average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:22
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:48:06 | 06.21 miles | 07m 45s  min/mile
Age Group: 14/43
Overall: 124/400
Performance: Below average
Segment 1 : 14:24 Segment 2 : 21:58 Segment 3 : 11:45
Course: Exit transition from the rear did a quick loop out to the marina jetty and then back to the trails. Paved park trail with a few small rollers winding the way thru the park. The sprint turned just before the road to the fishing pier and the Olympic was just beyond. Then back to the turn for the Olympic for lap 2 and back to the finish loop behind and around the tent. Lots of shade but very crowded.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2014-08-15 11:33 AM

User image

Master
Royersford, PA
Subject: Steelman Triathlon - Olympic Distance
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Steelman Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Steelman Triathlon - Olympic Distance

Started by steel099
Views: 2069 Posts: 4

2011-08-15 12:11 PM cbire880

Steelman Triathlon - Olympic Distance

Started by Live2ski
Views: 1504 Posts: 1

2011-08-08 8:20 PM Live2ski

Lehigh Valley Steelman Triathlon - Olympic Distance

Started by guticur
Views: 1454 Posts: 1

2010-08-09 6:25 PM guticur

Started by sundevil87
Views: 2286 Posts: 3

2009-08-15 11:28 AM thebrayon

Started by carrie1
Views: 1828 Posts: 1

2009-08-09 1:29 PM carrie1
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 4, 2008
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 5
I really want to do an Olympic distance but I feel it is a little too far right now. Which training plan should I follow? The sprint sounds too easy for what I'm doing but the Olympic seems too much?

date : October 20, 2008
author : araqnid
comments : 0
After doing duathlons for the last couple of years, I decided to go for a triathlon. Starting with an Olympic-distance race perhaps wasn't wise, but it was fun (of a sort).
date : September 3, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
Discussion on getting faster than 1:35/100m, IM swim training, counting strokes and improving an Olympic distance swim.

date : February 5, 2008
author : Team BT
Complete course preview of the North East triathlon on 8/17/2008 featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!
date : August 7, 2007
author : acbadger
comments : 3
After your first triathlon, how many days off should you take to rest? How should you start your training again?

date : July 2, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 1
Keep in mind that the taper period is as important to your body as all of the long hours you’ve put in the pool, on the bike and on the road. It is meant to help you rest, recover and rejuvenate.
date : February 28, 2005
author : sherrick
A 26 week, 6 race series plan for faster performance. A SILVER/GOLD member plan.

date : September 10, 2004
author : Team BT
History of the triathlon and distances.