General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ironman 70.3 [Need Advice!] Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-08-15 3:28 PM

Subject: Ironman 70.3 [Need Advice!]
Hi!
I've always wanted to do extraordinary things that most people have never done before.
What better way to pave that path than entering the most difficult endurance event in the world?

It will be my first time ever entering a triathlon, and I expect to enter one in a year and a half (To give myself a good amount of time of building up my endurance).

Some information about me!
Male, 20.
5ft 7 -- 149lb
Decently fit (But not nearly enough to be in an ironman)
Hit the gym 6 days a week.

Road cycling - One of my #1 hobbies, and without doubt can excel in during the race.
Jogging - Most I've done without having to stop is 20km at a decent pace, but definitely a lot of room for improvement.
Swimming - My biggest weakness, because I haven't swam in at least 6 years!

Is there any swimming tips that can be offered to help during my training?
What is the best swimming technique to use? What are some things that can help me in this category? Also things I can be doing in the gym to improve my overall fitness for swimming.
I don't know much about Triathlon techniques, so please enlighten me!
Thank you!

Edited by faivious 2014-08-15 3:31 PM

2014-08-15 4:19 PM
in reply to: faivious

User image

Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 [Need Advice!]
My advice would be to read a lot about training on this site and elsewhere-- maybe get a book about triathlon to start.

And plan on entering some shorter tris along the way, first entering some sprints and then Olympic.

Getting lessons with a swim coach might be a good idea if your swimming is rusty; or if you know how to swim and just haven't in a while, just start swimming!

By the way- you do realize that an Ironman 70.3 is half the distances of a full Ironman? Even so, an Ironman is not necessarily THE most challenging endurance event in the world (there are some very challenging ultramarathons, long distance swims, and other endurance events that might match or exceed, not to mention LONGER triathlons than Ironman).
2014-08-15 5:17 PM
in reply to: jennifer_runs

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

I think that is great that you set a lofty goal for yourself.  Some thoughts:

1) I think you need to be honest with yourself and the committment in time this will take.  Look at some of the training plans and see what kind of hours per week are involved and see how that fits into your life with other commitments like work, family, friends, etc.  It is not easy and will involve some sacrifices along the way.

2) Do not do too much too soon.  Be patient with building a solid base.  It is very easy to injure yourself if you increase stresses on your body too rapidly.

3) Greatest investment you could make would be some swim lessons.  Best to start developing good form early and best way to do that is with instruction and feedback.

4) Enjoy the journey.  The greatest joys I find are along the way not necessarily at the finish line.

Good luck.

2014-08-16 2:01 AM
in reply to: faivious

Hi,

Just done Ironman 70.3 in Wiesbarden. I used the training program from this site (it is free and is 25 weeks long) as well as my on core training from the TRX band site with a little modification. If cycling is your strong point you really do not need to wait so long. You need to commit and book a race now and pay for it. If swimming is your weakness just join a swim club you will improve very quickly.

It was amazing.......
2014-08-16 7:37 AM
in reply to: #5039967

naperville, Illinois
one of the biggest problems people have is staying motivated. it sounds like your motivation is a bit, well, questionable. there are thousands of people doing 70.3s every year, you will find quickly that there are a lot of people who have done them, and not only is it not the most challenging, there will be a lot of people twice your age who do a 70.3 as training. you sound like your fitness is pretty good and can knock this out without problem. it is a great feeling to do one, but if your motivation is off
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ironman 70.3 [Need Advice!] Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Ironman Augusta 70.3 over Ironman Florida 70.3

Started by Tripleplay44
Views: 1680 Posts: 5

2014-08-11 8:42 PM Fred D

HIM Miami 70.3 newbie - need attire advice

Started by jamesashcroft
Views: 877 Posts: 6

2012-10-24 6:23 AM TriSte

Ironman 70.3 FL or Ironman 70.3 Eagleman?

Started by drcherrybomb21
Views: 1574 Posts: 8

2011-11-01 12:58 PM drcherrybomb21

planning for 1st 70.3 Advice needed

Started by halfmarathondon
Views: 1660 Posts: 15

2010-12-21 3:57 PM halfmarathondon

Upcoming 70.3 - First timer needs advice please

Started by anturtle
Views: 966 Posts: 3

2007-02-21 8:36 AM marmadaddy
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 28, 2012
author : packetron
comments : 4
My personal experience to complete the Ironman 70.3

date : December 11, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 6
I just finished the NYC marathon on Sunday and I think I'm going to venture into triathlons. I am doing an Olympic distance and I want to do a 70.3 next year too. Any advice?
date : July 1, 2009
author : mrmarkcole
comments : 37
Or why an Ironman 70.3 may not be your best choice for your first triathlon.

date : August 21, 2008
author : TriChica
comments : 8
I thought of all the times I didn’t attempt something I wanted to do because I was too afraid of trying something new or of failing completely.
date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.

date : January 1, 2008
author : jgosse66
comments : 0
Here is my five step plan for getting mentally prepared for next year’s Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, or any other race that you may have.
date : October 4, 2007
author : jgosse66
comments : 0
It was the morning of Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, I felt queasy. I didn't want to eat or drink anything. I had a full blown case of the pre-race HEEBEE GEEBEES.

date : June 6, 2006
author : Ingrid Loos
comments : 4
A bad race left me smoldering, but time and a gentle breeze ignited my passion to race again.