REVOLUTION3 Triathlon
75F / 24C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 41m 18s
Overall Rank = 91/295
Age Group = M 40-44
Age Group Rank = 15/28
Pre-race routine:

5th race in 4 weeks. Left on Saturday late morning for Williamsburg. Drove down and made it through DC pretty cleanly until 95S went all stop. Very annoying normally but when you really have to go to the bathroom waiting 45 min to go 1.5 miles makes it down right nasty. Finally we got moving and I got to WIlliamsburg around 4:00pm, checked in and then brought my bike down to T1 over in Jamestown. Dropped off my bike then walked over to the beach and waded in the water which was really nice. Then drove to my hotel in Newport News and grabbed some dinner put on my numbers and prepped my bags for the race and went to bed. Got up at 5:00pm and drove to the sport complex and made the long walk from the parking to transition with all my bags. Ran into one of my new teammates as we talked a bit. Set up T2 the got on the bus, drove to T2 got startied setting up heard the water was 79 so not wetsuit legal so I could have just left my wetsuit home so stuffed it in my bag, visited the porta potties and walked down to the beach.
Event warmup:

Did a short swim in the warm up area and noticed how far out you could still walk.
Swim
  • 32m 4s
  • 1500 meters
  • 02m 08s / 100 meters
Comments:

The start was extremely shallow about waist deep and at the start I tried to stay outside and started swimming but most everyone was on their feet until about the first bouy. I was just not feeling it and my swim was just off. Swallowed a ton of river water and just couldn't swim straight and drifted way wide. Especially on the inward leg. I was swimming really good coming in but this swim flat out sucked and the conditions were 100x better than last year.
What would you do differently?:

No idea where to start. Swim straight, take advantage to free speed, navigate better, and get into a rhythm and swim. 21st of 28 and 176 of 295 coming out of the water. Ugly!
Transition 1
  • 05m 1s
Comments:

Long run up to transition across a grassy field. Took time to dry my feet and had issues stuffing my bag. Sprayed down tri slide and sunscreen and was off.

Run faster, change faster.
Bike
  • 1h 09m 44s
  • 24.84 miles
  • 21.37 mile/hr
Comments:

Got going and had some a couple people pass me going out the park. As we got onto the road I locked onto a disc wheel and nice butt and followed her forward until we hit the main road. Passed a few of my teammates. Once we started climbing I passed her and set out on my own. Reached the church to turn onto the first loop hit the really rough sections of road around the pond. Kept moving forward but was surprised as an Aquabiker went flying past me. towards the end of the loop 5-6 people on their second loop started passing me which was a bit depressing. Started the second loop and got a big drink and had a gel and had a woman pass me on a Kestrel. Passedher back and got the positive feedback of having people to pass from the first few waves and those on their first loop. Hit the turn and got to head for home, Passed a guy in my age group and ran over a rock and heard a pop. Then made the turn and headed to T2 about quarter miles, As I made the final turn My pedal were scraping the group which wasn't right. Turned out my rear tire was flat.

Mentally lost it at times on the second loop and could have done without the flat. Although the flat didn't hurt me too much. Moved from 21st to 14th in my AG and 179th to 87th OA from T1 to T2.
Transition 2
  • 01m 40s
Comments:

Had a good transition other than some issues getting racked up due to the persons next to me racing in the wrong spot. Had to fight that an my bag.

Not too much as can't control what others do. Guess I should have beaten them to T2
Run
  • 52m 48s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 30s  min/mile
Comments:

Got out of transition and was feeling fairly good and was running ok as I waited for my legs to come in but they never did. I had trouble with the quick hills and sharp turns but even when I got out in the road I just couldn't get going, then second loop wasn't much better. Very slow and just kept getting passed.

No idea why I ran so poorly. Lost one spot in my AG (14th to 15th)and 4 spots OA (87th to 91st) so maybe it wasn't the worst run but it wasn't relative to everyone else but I ran faster the next day in Chattenooga on a hiller course with high heat and humidity.
Post race
Warm down:

Had to pack up and head out almost immediately as had to walk out to the car and load up and head out. Had to drive back home then back to Philly to catch a plane by 6:30pm and then fly to Chattenooga via Charlotte. Got to my hotel about 12:45am. Long day

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Wasn't in the right frame of mind on either the swim and run

Event comments:

Didn't get to see the expo or post race but I liked the course changes and it was much smoother in the morning than last year. Good race but a so-os performance.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2014-08-15 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:32:04 | 1500 meters | 02m 08s / 100meters
Age Group: 21/28
Overall: 176/295
Performance: Below average
Suit: Pearl Izumi Tri suit 2 piece.
Course: Counter clockwise loop from down stream out the back upstream and in to the finish.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 79F / 26C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Average Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 05:01
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:09:44 | 24.84 miles | 21.37 mile/hr
Age Group: 10/28
Overall: 54/295
Performance: Good
Mile 0 - Mile13 36:47 (21.21 mph) Mile 13- mile 22.7 26:36 (21.88 mph) Mile 22.7-end 6:21 (21.72 mph)
Wind: Little
Course: Loop out of the Park then backroads up to WIlliamsburg and then two loops around the pond and then loop back to the sports complex.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:40
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:52:48 | 06.21 miles | 08m 30s  min/mile
Age Group: 19/28
Overall: 100/295
Performance: Bad
Mile 0 - mile 1.96: 16:29 (8:25/mile) mile 1.96 - mile 5.08: 26:28 (8:29/mile) mile 5.08 - end: 9:52 (8:30/mile)
Course: Two loops. Start off and head onto some gravel trails winding thru the sport complex. Shaded. THen empties out to the road and then out to the turn then up the hill and back to the parking lot and around and back to the start for loop number two.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2014-08-15 11:34 PM

User image

Master
Royersford, PA
Subject: Rev3 Williamsburg - Olympic Rev
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Rev3 Williamsburg - Olympic Rev Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Rev3 Williamsburg - Olympic Rev

Started by sdalessio
Views: 1865 Posts: 2

2013-07-01 10:41 AM QueenZipp

Started by southwestmba
Views: 1439 Posts: 2

2013-06-28 8:48 PM QueenZipp

Started by cchs93
Views: 1579 Posts: 2

2013-06-25 4:20 PM QueenZipp

Started by meggfishy
Views: 2513 Posts: 6

2013-06-25 6:57 PM meggfishy

Started by QueenZipp
Views: 4498 Posts: 24

2013-06-28 10:17 PM southwestmba
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 5, 2013
author : alicefoeller
comments : 0
We interview Rev3 race director Eric Opdyke. Eric is going to bravely face the series of questions we’ll be asking several race directors this year.

date : June 27, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 8
A middle-of-the-pack triathlete takes on the iron distance for the first time at Rev3's inaugural full distance race
date : August 2, 2010
author : HerveB
comments : 8
I looked at the swim buoys and start thinking, "Man! How am I ever going to swim that? That looks like a very long distance from the bridge. I have never done it in one go." There's no turning back.

date : October 20, 2008
author : araqnid
After doing duathlons for the last couple of years, I decided to go for a triathlon. Starting with an Olympic-distance race perhaps wasn't wise, but it was fun (of a sort).
date : August 30, 2004
author : Ron
A couch to olympic triathlon training program. These programs will take you from a walk/run program, to a sprint, then to an olympic.

date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
comments : 2
Program outline of the 16 and 20 week olympic triathlon training plans.