General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike packing for travel Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-08-17 7:28 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2014-08-18 7:22 AM
in reply to: brickbd

Subject: RE: Bike packing for travel
Does your friend have any experience putting a bike together?

I have a good relationship with my LBS, and more importantly, the head mechanic. The first time I shipped my bike, he packed it and explained everything while I watched (and he didn't charge me--make friends with a mechanic). Then, on the other end, I just reversed the process to put the bike back together. I had no problem boxing it back up to ship home. The next time I shipped my bike, I not only took care of mine, but helped a couple people with theirs. It is intimidating the first time, but actually really easy. I just shipped a touring bike with racks, and it took me less than 20 minutes to get the thing boxed up. $60 is a rip-off.

A few tips if you decide to do it yourself:
Mark the positions of things like the seat post and handle bars with electrical tape so you can put the bike back together with the proper fit.
Put any nuts, screws, whatever, in a ziploc bag so you don't have loose parts floating around.
If it is the plain, square Thule case, one side will overlap the other. Pull those straps as tightly as you can. UPS or whoever you use will knock that box around, and you want everything to be as secure as possible.
2014-08-18 8:35 AM
in reply to: happyscientist

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Bike packing for travel

Originally posted by happyscientist Does your friend have any experience putting a bike together? I have a good relationship with my LBS, and more importantly, the head mechanic. The first time I shipped my bike, he packed it and explained everything while I watched (and he didn't charge me--make friends with a mechanic). Then, on the other end, I just reversed the process to put the bike back together. I had no problem boxing it back up to ship home. The next time I shipped my bike, I not only took care of mine, but helped a couple people with theirs. It is intimidating the first time, but actually really easy. I just shipped a touring bike with racks, and it took me less than 20 minutes to get the thing boxed up. $60 is a rip-off. A few tips if you decide to do it yourself: Mark the positions of things like the seat post and handle bars with electrical tape so you can put the bike back together with the proper fit. Put any nuts, screws, whatever, in a ziploc bag so you don't have loose parts floating around. If it is the plain, square Thule case, one side will overlap the other. Pull those straps as tightly as you can. UPS or whoever you use will knock that box around, and you want everything to be as secure as possible.

If you have a good relationship with the bike shop mechanic, ask if he'll oversee you breaking the bike down, packing it up, and reassembling it.  Now you aren't 2000 miles from home getting the experience the first time.  

Mark positions of anything adjustable you take loose or take apart.  Take close-up pictures of everything else BEFORE you take it apart.  From the picture, you should be able to tell how many rings go below the stem and how many go above it.  You can mark positions with a smear of nail polish that touches both parts.  

When you box it up, get some fork spacers (your friendly wrench probably has some in the trash from bikes they've put together).  

Once you get it all in the box, take another picture so you can reload it the same way.  

Pay attention to what you pack in the box.  Whether you're flying or shipping your bike, there may be a weight limit or surcharge and you may not be able to ship things like CO2 cartridges.  (You can't fly with them.)  It would be unfortunate to get to the airport thinking you're just paying the $50 oversize bag fee and have the airline refuse to take it because it is one pound over their limit.  (And...just because they don't check on the way out doesn't mean they won't check on the way back...)  

2014-08-18 8:36 AM
in reply to: #5040409

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike packing for travel Rss Feed