General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Homemade Bike Repair Stand Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-08-17 7:36 PM

User image

Iowa City, Iowa
Subject: Homemade Bike Repair Stand
So I decided to build a bicycle repair stand this afternoon and I think it turned out great! I made mine out of black iron / galvanized steel pipe for ~$45 bucks and it was well worth the time and $$ for the experience to make it homemade. I still need to buy two more end caps to keep critters out of it though. While I was putting in the second utility hook, my wood board began to split and you can see my "janky" fix in the close up photos. I have a few ideas of how to make the hanging portion more streamlined but this will work until then. FYI you can see the PVC bicycle stand I made last year in the background. Got a place to store and fix my bike now. Just being cost-effective, enjoyed the experience, and proud of my work folks! Below is the link to the website with instructions if you are interested in making one.

http://makezine.com/2009/11/11/weekend-project-bike-repair-stand-p/

(IMG_0592.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
IMG_0592.jpg (1612KB - 1 downloads)

2014-08-18 12:19 AM
in reply to: ChemNerd23

User image

Regular
Portland, Oregon
Subject: RE: Homemade Bike Repair Stand
Cool! I'd like an indoor stand. Right now, when I am working on mine, I just put the rack on the car and do everything outside. It's not super convenient, but free!
2014-08-18 10:29 AM
in reply to: ChemNerd23

, Wisconsin
Looks great! Thank you for posting the link. I was contemplating purchasing a stand but not really wanting to spend the bucks. I also typically use my hitch mount rack on the back of the van to work on bikes, but it's a hassle to put on etc. Looks like a good project for one of these days . . .
2014-08-18 1:01 PM
in reply to: MikeD1

User image

Iowa City, Iowa
Originally posted by MikeD1

Looks great! Thank you for posting the link. I was contemplating purchasing a stand but not really wanting to spend the bucks. I also typically use my hitch mount rack on the back of the van to work on bikes, but it's a hassle to put on etc. Looks like a good project for one of these days . . .

My car has a rear spoiler on it, so I am not sure if there are any cheap bike rack options. I've been stuffing my bike in the rear seat of my little Dodge Neon hehe it was a fun build though! Just wanted to share in case others were interested.

It only took me a two hours to assemble (I watched the video and went slow) and by far the longest portion was making the wood hanger (the board cracked and I had to improvise). Also, the online directions say you need four 1/2 " Tees but I only needed three.....I completed it and had a spare piece, that seems so typical, Ha!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Homemade Bike Repair Stand Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Homemade bike rack for repairs?

Started by FELTGood
Views: 1449 Posts: 11

2011-09-12 8:41 PM mscotthall

Homemade Book Stand for the Bike

Started by SoccerGK
Views: 1994 Posts: 13

2011-02-06 7:21 AM pharmacist25

Bike Repair Stands

Started by mr2tony
Views: 2430 Posts: 25

2010-07-07 4:37 PM windandsurf

Bike Repair Stand Recommendation

Started by wgraves7582
Views: 1539 Posts: 9

2009-04-09 12:34 PM gearboy

Looking for inexpensive repair bike stand. Recommendation needed

Started by bartturner
Views: 986 Posts: 6

2008-09-29 3:52 PM Bob23
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 7, 2011
author : AMSSM
comments : 4
Is it possible to compete in triathlon after an ACL reconstruction and meniscus repair?

date : September 16, 2008
author : BGTwinDad
comments : 0
In part two of this series of common roadside bike repairs, we show you how to fix a flat tire. Though if you're lucky, a bicycle repairman will wheel by at just the right time.
date : April 3, 2008
author : Ontherun
comments : 2
Have you been doing all of your bike cleaning, maintenance and repairs by leaning it up against something? Try it again with a dedicated bike repair stand.

date : January 1, 2008
comments : 2
We will take a peek into the lowly saddlebag to see what needs to be in there in case of emergency. Much of this may be common sense, some might surprise you, and some are simply just my opinion.
date : March 20, 2007
author : Team BT
Standing Twist w/ Dumbbell abdominal exercise instruction with picture and video.

date : June 21, 2006
Standing Calf Raises strength exercise instruction with picture and video.
date : June 21, 2006
Standing Lunges strength exercise instruction with picture and video.

date : April 3, 2005
comments : 3
One procedure for changing a tire that you might learn from, but certainly don't want to follow precisely!