General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Who's in for the Aloha? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-08-18 2:48 PM

User image

Veteran
Shawnee
Subject: Who's in for the Aloha?
I'm in, doing the long course. I don't really care too much about this race so I'm using it as a long training day and am going to train through it, instead of tapering. We'll see how that goes, but it looks fun.

2014-08-18 4:59 PM
in reply to: dprocket

User image

New user
Overland Park, KS
Subject: RE: Who's in for the Aloha?
In for the QUIN as well.

I drove the bike course yesterday after Jackson County, some of those hills are steep, but not real long. Also hope they have all the intersections well controlled, there's a lot of them.
2014-08-18 10:09 PM
in reply to: mikec123

User image

Veteran
Prairie Village, Kansas
Sounds fun, but didn't fit my schedule. Let us know how it goes! The quin sounds awesome!
2014-08-24 9:32 PM

User image

Veteran
Shawnee
Mike what kind of bike do you ride?
2014-08-25 10:42 AM
in reply to: dprocket

User image

New user
Overland Park, KS
Originally posted by dprocket

Felt B12, bright orange helmet. David, pretty sure I saw you finish, that's a fairly distinctive shade of purple on your top, but then lost you in the crowd. I found a small piece of shade over by the snow cone tent and didn't wander much from there.

Very brief race report, I'll try and cobble something more thorough when I get a chance:

Really enjoyed the bike course, the portion through Swope park was awesome. I spent most of the first bike and run legs confused about where I was in the standings, I think we had a bandit* in there for awhile as I was in visual contact with a couple bikes and a motorcycle climbing out of Swope Park and then one of the bikes went straight at one of the turns. During the first run it was tough to tell the difference between the sprint and the quintathalon runners.

The race organizers pulled it off exceptionally well, especially for a first time event.

*I say Bandit, the course was not closed, intersections were traffic controlled, but if a guy was out for a Sunday ride and our paths crossed, so be it, not actually a bandit, I just thought for awhile that he was in the race too.

2014-08-25 11:17 AM

User image

Veteran
Shawnee
Originally posted by mikec123

Originally posted by dprocket

Felt B12, bright orange helmet. David, pretty sure I saw you finish, that's a fairly distinctive shade of purple on your top, but then lost you in the crowd. I found a small piece of shade over by the snow cone tent and didn't wander much from there.

Very brief race report, I'll try and cobble something more thorough when I get a chance:

Really enjoyed the bike course, the portion through Swope park was awesome. I spent most of the first bike and run legs confused about where I was in the standings, I think we had a bandit* in there for awhile as I was in visual contact with a couple bikes and a motorcycle climbing out of Swope Park and then one of the bikes went straight at one of the turns. During the first run it was tough to tell the difference between the sprint and the quintathalon runners.

The race organizers pulled it off exceptionally well, especially for a first time event.

*I say Bandit, the course was not closed, intersections were traffic controlled, but if a guy was out for a Sunday ride and our paths crossed, so be it, not actually a bandit, I just thought for awhile that he was in the race too.

I agree on all counts. That's by far the smallest race field I've ever been a part of and I was up front with the leaders on the bike. I was picking off bikes and think I got up to 4, but I never caught you. There were a few bikes that I never saw. I was pretty strong up until we merged with the sprint distance folks and I faded. My poor bike handling skills came into play and I lost some ground as I was worried about running into someone. Then when it came time to run of course I dropped way down. But anyway, it was a very fun event and it was fun do something unique without a specific time goal in mind. That first really big descent (after the turn-around loop thing) was bananas! I love bombing downhill but that road surface was sketchy: uneven, some serious potholes...I didn't let it all out because I thought for sure I was going to go flying off the bike.

After the race, I went to watch the bike transition to cheer my wife on. We had a great time. Of course there were a few minor problems but it was a first race, and the volunteers and KCMO police did a great job with handling the traffic (I thought). More hills on the bike than I expected but it made for a fun/challenging course.

I'll have to enter more small races like this. I was 1st in my AG (ha ha!! Only two of us were there and only about 60 something long course racers. I finished 14 overall and was pretty satisfied considering I didn't taper at all for this, was just having fun, and stuck to my Oct. 70.3 training plan.).

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Who's in for the Aloha? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

So who's going to AG Nationals?

Started by dprocket
Views: 597 Posts: 12

2014-08-11 3:18 PM dprocket

It's race week! Kansas City Triathlon edition! Who's in? Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by dprocket
Views: 2975 Posts: 77

2014-05-23 10:20 PM reecealan

Who's racing this weekend?