General Discussion Triathlon Talk » best way to track an open water swim? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-08-18 3:12 PM

User image

Subject: best way to track an open water swim?
I have an iphone, i could seal it in a dry case, but is there an app that tracks swims? Is the only other option a gps based watch? Thanks!

2014-08-19 12:22 PM
in reply to: n8dawgbu

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: best way to track an open water swim?

the challenge is, that water absorbs GPS signals.  here are the three ways I can think of.

1.  Pretty much any GPS watch that is waterproof- or even water resistant... and stick it in your bathing cap.  I've had very good luck with this.  tip:  set it to autolap every 1/2 mile- so you can hear it chirp and know how far you've swam. 

2.  A specialized GPS watch that can do OWS while on your wrist.  There are only a few models that will do this.  Fenix 2, Ambit 2, 910xt. And even they aren't quite as accurate as the bathing cap trick.  it's no simple challenge for these watches to capture a decent signal while being dunked.

3.  Waterproof case for your iphone and put it in your bathing cap (if that would even work?).  If not, i guess you could drag a buoy behind you with your phone on it?  (not really practical- but certainly possible)

my guess is that if you OWS and you also pool swim - you would enjoy a proper gizmo.  

There are many fine choices out there, each with their own pro's and con's and individual features.  I'm a little hot on the Ambit series these days, given how powerful, flexible and STABLE they are.  Plus- for $219 - this is a screaming deal for this much capability:  http://www.clevertraining.com/p-8113-suunto-ambit2-s-sport-gps-watch.aspx

2014-08-20 3:15 PM
in reply to: morey000

User image

Subject: RE: best way to track an open water swim?
Yeah, I am definitely in the market for a new gizmo. I am thinking the new Ambit3, but since it won't be released until Sept sometime, I won't have it available this weekend, and I am only going to have the option of a Lake swim this weekend. I like your ideas, I may have to dust off my old Garmin and see if I can put it in the ol' swim cap. Thanks!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » best way to track an open water swim? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Garmin FR310XT Open Water Swim

Started by strykergt
Views: 786 Posts: 4

2013-08-05 8:10 PM strykergt

Cold water swim, best wetsuit

Started by srrubinstein
Views: 3371 Posts: 14

2012-11-24 11:59 AM Grnfsh

Garmin 310xt new Swim Tracking feature

Started by TrkHilo2k
Views: 1614 Posts: 4

2012-08-16 10:33 AM RockTractor

Cold Water swim gear for feet and hands

Started by wasabi
Views: 2114 Posts: 6

2010-10-06 6:03 PM GaryRM

Warm Water Swim

Started by Rahoolio
Views: 1081 Posts: 9

2009-08-05 12:12 PM Rahoolio
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : October 29, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
Triathlon swim training discussions on the pull, open water swimming all year, winter swim focus, bilateral breathing during a race and Ironman swim training in 6 weeks.
date : July 8, 2008
author : ggwellness
comments : 11
Confessions of an open water chicken. I'm OK when the water is clear and the creatures are visible; it's just when I can't see them that the panic sets in.

date : September 25, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
Discussion on sinking hips, balance drills, open water freak-out, best breathing for open water swimming and head position.
date : September 3, 2006
author : TriDDS
comments : 1
Stroke after stroke, my pace was pulling me out into the middle of the lake quickly. The cover seemed to be getting thicker. But still in the distance, the little boathouse was my lighthouse.

date : June 6, 2006
author : marmadaddy
The DVD assumes little-to-no experience with competitive swimming and starts off in the pool citing the need to build confidence in a controlled environment.