General Discussion Triathlon Talk » My First Sprint - Swim Troubles! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-08-16 1:18 PM

User image

Expert
Sherman Oaks, CA
Subject: My First Sprint - Swim Troubles!
Survived. It was a 500 yard swim, 11 mile bike ride and 5k. Did it in 1:15 minutes. Not sure how that ranks -- no time goal.

The swim was a complete disaster. I have only done one open water swim and never swam in a pack. I was way too close to the front and was kicked and poked. I felt tired after just a few minutes and started swimming on my back even and then side paddling. All I could think of was 'land, land, land'.

Unfortunately they didn't have splits but it seemed like I was in there forever.

My biggest concern is that I have an Olympic swim in 1 month. I could not imagine having to go around that lake another TWO times!!!!

All my pool practice went out the window. I went to pure survival mode.

Maybe I should have done the swim in my wetsuit for buoyancy. Water was 83 degrees but the fastest guys did have wetsuits.

Just venting here...I am not giving up. Just didn't have fun on the swim portion. I was so happy to be on land that I had the best time ever on the bike and run though!

I am a golfer and it reminds me of how you can hit it so well at the driving range and then go on the course and feel like you never hit the ball before.

Cheers

2006-08-16 1:22 PM
in reply to: #513610

User image

Master
Indian Harbour Beach, Florida
Subject: RE: My First Sprint - Swim Troubles!
Congratulations, that sure seems like a good time for a newbie to me!
2006-08-16 1:28 PM

User image

Expert
Delano, MN
Hey man I did the same thing! All the thousands and thousands of yds in pool meant NOTHING! My second tri was better but I still have a ways to go. Bottom line was you didn't give up. That counts for more than you might imagine. Great job!
2006-08-16 1:34 PM

Extreme Veteran
Atlanta, GA
Congrats on the tri! You're finishing time seems to be pretty decent. How did it rank with the other competitors? I have done six tris now and every swim is an adventure and a bit different, so maybe you'll get lucky at the Olympic tri and have a better swim. The best swim I have done, came at a race where they did a time trial start, letting people go one by one every 15 seconds or so. I didn't have any issues with lots of kicking, pushing, crowds at that one. Although I'm not a great swimmer, I am getting more used to the triathlon swim. If you can figure out how to draft off of a swimmer ahead of you, you can really conserve some energy. I am more of the type to swim wide on the course so I can avoid the contact but end up swimming longer than I have to. 
2006-08-16 1:38 PM

User image

Expert
Sherman Oaks, CA
Thanks for the kind words. I just can't believe how exhausted I got in literally minutes.

When I was on my back I could see all the people swimming right towards me and passing me. I felt like I had the clunker car and everyone was in their shiny new Porsches wondering why this poor soul even entered this event. I started imagining that the lifeguard was hovering over me, getting ready to pluck me out of there and tell me, "Next time, kid"

The one bright spot is the I passed scores of people on the bike and run. So, if I can improve my swim just a bit, I should lower my time drastically.
2006-08-16 1:42 PM

User image

Expert
Mukwonago, WI

Great time despite your frustration with your swim.

It seems like everybody has a swim in their very first race that ends up being one they look back and laugh at. You will too so don't be discouraged.

No matter how good a swimmer you may or may not have been, there is nothing that prepares you for an OWS in your first race. I know for mine I probably was not even 5 minutes in and I was breathing extremely hard, was struggling and immediately thought what in the world am I even doing here!

This will get better. Here are some suggestions:

1. More Open Water Swims. I don't know how much of this you have done but getting in the lake with no lanes, painted lines, etc. is difficult and must be practiced. I have my first OLY this weekend and I spent hours in the lake on Saturday (my borthers boat) and I just kept going for swims practicing my sighting and getting used to putting my head in the water.

2. Get to the outside during races. You won't get trampled as much. Stay to the back of the pack. As you do more races this will change and you will want to get up front but just find a place for your next race where you can swim easy and at your pace.

3. My last race I had a great swim but then I realized when I got out of the water how high my HR was. I went too hard and if effected the rest of my race. This next race I am going to do more of a warm up. That way I am hoping when the race starts I don't give as much of a jolt to my system and then I can keep my HR down.

Anyway, I hope this helps - good luck!

2006-08-16 2:01 PM

User image

Master
La Crosse
2006-08-16 3:06 PM
in reply to: #513688

User image

Expert
Sherman Oaks, CA
stupidnickname - 2006-08-16 2:01 PM

Welcome to the club, baby.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

Great report! I could relate big time.
2006-08-16 3:07 PM
in reply to: #513647

User image

Expert
Sherman Oaks, CA
triingforsept07 - 2006-08-16 1:42 PM

This will get better. Here are some suggestions:

1. More Open Water Swims. I don't know how much of this you have done but getting in the lake with no lanes, painted lines, etc. is difficult and must be practiced. I have my first OLY this weekend and I spent hours in the lake on Saturday (my borthers boat) and I just kept going for swims practicing my sighting and getting used to putting my head in the water.

2. Get to the outside during races. You won't get trampled as much. Stay to the back of the pack. As you do more races this will change and you will want to get up front but just find a place for your next race where you can swim easy and at your pace.

3. My last race I had a great swim but then I realized when I got out of the water how high my HR was. I went too hard and if effected the rest of my race. This next race I am going to do more of a warm up. That way I am hoping when the race starts I don't give as much of a jolt to my system and then I can keep my HR down.

QUOTE]

Great advice. Much appreciated.
2006-08-16 3:12 PM

User image

Expert
Earth

It is really easy to go out HARD on the swim and have breathing issues as a result.  In my first race I went out really fast, and then died less than 1/2 way around the lap.  I felt like I could not breath, could not pull.... I was the last guy out in my wave.

So the next time I did a swim, I made a point of going out slower.  I felt like I could have gone faster, but I held myself in check.  Don't let yourself go out faster than you should.  That alone will help keep you from flailing in the water some.

Sure there is some races where you are getting crawled all over, but most of the races I have done after about the first 200 yards, it clears out pretty well. 

2006-08-16 7:20 PM

User image

Regular
Singapore
I have completed 2 biathlon (Swim & Run) and 3 Triathlon race recently but still my last Triathlon Swim leg sucks! I had the same experience. I started to breath heavily and thought that I would not be able to complete the race at the start of the 1st loop of my swim. Considering that I have 3 loops to go! Luckily, I managed to calm down and continue my swim after a while.

When I got out of the water, I was like 'Wow... how did i managed to complete the swim?' Personally, I find swimming as one of the most challenging leg. No amount of practice will make me more prepared for race day. Don't despair, you are not the only one having trouble in the water.

2006-08-16 8:18 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Worcester, MA

Hey, don't get down on yourself! The swim is the hardest part, I'm great in the pool, well not great, but I feel fine.  Look at the swim of my RR. Plus if you did 1:15 you still smoked my times.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=51775

2006-08-16 9:21 PM

User image

Expert
Los Gatos, CA
Yes, welcome to the club! This is how it is! Isn't it great? No? Well, next time will be better guaranteed, you are going to learn to love it! Better get some time in the pool. Olympic swim is nothing to sneeze at!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » My First Sprint - Swim Troubles! Rss Feed