General Discussion Triathlon Talk » YOLO Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-08-19 9:59 AM

User image

Arvada
Subject: YOLO Triathlon
I was surprised by the modified swim course for the Olympic Distance YOLO Triathlon this past weekend. I am sure it was a tough call for the race director, but going out and back without the buoys and rope certainly caused more chaos than I expected. Although I can swim pretty straight and was sighting more than I typically would, I still experienced my first ever head on collision. Fortunately my fellow athlete and I were able to continue swimming.

2014-08-19 5:12 PM
in reply to: guptask

User image

Denver, CO
Subject: RE: YOLO Triathlon

Yeah, it seemed like there were a lot of organizational issues, more than I would have expected from such an experienced RD.  The whole thing felt fairly chaotic to me, but it was my first tri and I only have spectating experience from previous ones to compare it to. 

Are transition areas usually that crowded?  I had a really hard time navigating through it when I got there and during T2.

2014-08-19 9:58 PM
in reply to: guptask

User image

Hey, that could have been me you collided with! lol

The person I collided with was way over on the wrong side of the "beer can" and actually ran into another person while I was trying to get the stars and the ringing in my ears to stop. He hit me just as I had lifted my head to sight.

I treaded water and someone called the kayak over to me so I held onto that for a few minutes. The kayaker tried to get me to stop my race but I swam off and pretended I didn't hear him. When I got back to the beach to start the Sharks and Minnows game again I stood there for a minute to fix my goggles and to argue with myself on whether to continue. I already had a bruise on my cheek from the collision when I got back to the beach. My husband, who was standing on the beach, tried to get me to stop as well. I ignored him as well and got back in for Round 2 of the Hunger Games.

I was really upset with my swim time, which was a little more than 29 minutes until I saw that I had swum 1.1 miles while playing the dodging game.
2014-08-20 9:22 AM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Arvada
Congratulations on your first triathlon! Transition areas are usually not that crowded, swims are more organized, the course is usually clearly marked, and aid stations typically have plenty of supplies for the leaders and the back of the pack. I would not judge triathlon or 5430 Sports on this one event. However, I wish as athletes there was some recompense when decisions don't go well. I was surprised when I saw the website saying athletes can be banned from USA Triathlon events for a year by unofficially transferring bibs. There are no penalties at all that I could find for race directors.
2014-08-20 12:32 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Denver, CO

Thanks, guptask.  Despite everything, I managed to get about the time I expected and enjoyed myself.  I was fortunate not to be affected by all the chaos, other than T2 being a little slower than I'd have liked because it was hard to get in and out.  DH did a few 5430 races in Boulder awhile back and I don't remember him complaining about these kinds of issues so I figure this was a one-time issue.  I was disappointed for other racers though.

Fortissimo, glad you're okay!  Sounds like you took a heck of a knock.  Way to power through and finish the race.

Edited by laffinrock 2014-08-20 12:38 PM
2014-08-24 2:06 PM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Extreme Veteran
Highlands Ranch, Colorado

This is unfortunate as Rattlesnake was such a well run triathlon.

2014-09-08 5:49 PM
in reply to: #5041124

User image

yes, the swim was horrible!! first I think it's stupid we have to get out of the water at all, when there is more then enough water to seem in. did the tri rock there same distance the weeks before and just one big circle. having people swim back and forth head on Is very dangerous, and the race could be sued. I need to write them an email, and not sure I'd do it again unless the swim was safe. and running out of cups is inexcusable. also 26 miles is a long way with no bike support for a paid race, and these aren't cheap.
I've done quite a few tris this summer, and not sure if I'd do this one again due to safety reasons.
I wonder if writing the usat would make any difference?
I also was just in survival mode and lots of people weren't looking up and almost ran into people. my t1 was like 5 minutes just because I was ticked off and trying to cool down from almost dying in the water.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » YOLO Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Harvest Moon Long Course Triathlon Triathlon (1/2 Ironman) on 9/11/2011

Started by FF Stock
Views: 1883 Posts: 14

2011-09-09 5:13 PM remodelig47

Boulder Peak Triathlon

Started by Alpine87
Views: 2517 Posts: 8

2006-06-09 4:43 PM TL2

Basil Doc\'s -Tri the Creek Sprint Triathlon