General Discussion Race Reports! » Jackson County Triathlon - Short Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Jackson County Triathlon - Short Course - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Lee's Summit, Missouri
United States
Jackson County Triathlon
70F / 21C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 05m 47s
Overall Rank = 4/172
Age Group = M4044
Age Group Rank = 1/15
Pre-race routine:

Not a good pre-race routine, wasn't well prepared from a bike and run standpoint, especially bike. Managed to get to the pool a few times more than normal in the 2 weeks prior so was ready for the swim at least. I've been slacking all summer and this was a good way to get back into it. The day before the race we had a birthday party for my 3 year old and a block party thus spent all day standing around in the sun drinking drinks and eating foods that are best consumed in moderation. Also stayed up too late. Didn't even load the car the night before, saved that for the morning. Given all that, I didn't have real high expectations.

Got up at 4:30, had some breakfast and whatnot, left at 5:10, arrived 5:35 and got a pretty good spot in transition.
Event warmup:

Took the bike out for a quick spin to make sure the shifting was okay. Went for a short run to make sure my legs still worked and that there were no surprises heading out of T2 or into the finish. Crawled into wetsuit and went for a swim.
Swim
  • 13m 20s
  • 750 meters
  • 01m 47s / 100 meters
Comments:

I thought this was a very good swim, I started just a bit tentative for a few strokes and felt myself getting swallowed by the pack then stepped it up a notch but not too far so was able to hold the effort for quite some time. Swam side by side with another guy for awhile and kept an eye on Brandon, eventually dropped the guy next to me and was about even with Brandon's knees. At this point we were probably 200m in, say 2/3 of the way to the first turn and I felt great, no shoulder fatigue, not out of breath. Tried a couple times to drift over to Brandon and draft but our navigation didn't agree and I wasn't ready to give up another half body length just to draft so I just held my own along the buoy line.

Ran into lots of traffic around the first turn and lost sight of Brandon but managed to avoid any heavy contact with lots of sighting and maneuvering through the rest of the race, not ideal but better that taking a breastroke kick in the face again. The rest of the swim was also rather uneventful. I believe I was 2nd out of the water in my wave, 19s behind Brandon.

Switched to left side for breathing probably half a dozen times throughout for a few strokes both for situational awareness and to give the shoulders and neck a change.
What would you do differently?:

No much, start with a little more confidence from the gun but the result was solid. I'm sure I could also work on maintaining form in the 2nd half as my shoulders and arms get tired as that is where I lost ~20s in 400m.
Transition 1
  • 01m 4s
Comments:

21 OA/1 AG. Had trouble getting wetsuit over my heals. Actually had to get my fingers in there and pry the thing off, likely only a handful of seconds but the little things add up.

Pull harder or I might have to open up the foot holes a little bit
Bike
  • 32m 26s
  • 11.75 miles
  • 21.74 mile/hr
Comments:

I knew within 1 minute it wasn't going to be a good ride. Hit the transition line right behind Kevin, who is a great rabbit to chase when he's in the long course and I'm in the sprint but he just rode away today and my glutes lit up whenever I tried to push the pace. I checked average power several minutes in and it was right where I feared (and expected given recent training or lack thereof), struggling to hold the low end of Oly distance power. Just tried to hold the effort right at the edge of threshold, slacked more than a few times.

Not my worst performance ever at this course, but also only 20s faster than my first year which was on a road bike with aero bars. Of course I trained a lot more back then.

Train. Keep focused to maintain intensity
Transition 2
  • 00m 44s
Comments:

22 OA/2 AG. No socks, not real fast though.

I should probably spend some time practicing a couple transitions and work on mentally rehearsing them, I bet there's 10 seconds of free time between T1 and T2.
Run
  • 18m 16s
  • 3 miles
  • 06m 05s  min/mile
Comments:

It was an okay run, I've put a few pounds back on over the summer, which directly translates to slower running, and haven't been running as often as I should which also tends to make one slower, and heavier...As usual at this race there were a lot of duathletes on the course as well as guys from the earlier heat so it was real tough to tell where you were in the overall.

Looking at the results, I made up 1 spot in my age group/heat/overall on the run, from 13s down to 3s ahead (recognize the name but haven't met him), the only pass I made near the end I figured was a duathlete given the speed differential, but I guess it could have been 4th place if he blew up on the run as I was finishing pretty strong, weird. Maybe he started in the wrong heat, as I understand there was quite a bit of that going on and then we never would have passed each other. Thinking more about it, he must have started in another heat as only 1 guy passed me on the bike and I had passed him earlier so we didn't actually change places. Also, they started the short course heats 15 or 20 minutes early, so he might have been caught in the port-a-potties or something similar.

train
Post race
Warm down:

Drank some brews and BS'd

What limited your ability to perform faster:

lack of training

Event comments:

Well run race, among the more costly of local races but they also had a lot more finish line food and drink than some of the more budget friendly races, and they had Iron Band. Guess I'll just have to make a point of getting the early bird pricing.

Last updated: 2014-08-18 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:13:20 | 750 meters | 01m 47s / 100meters
Age Group: 1/15
Overall: 9/172
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: CCW Rectangular
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 76F / 24C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:04
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:32:26 | 11.75 miles | 21.74 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/15
Overall: 5/172
Performance: Below average
Wind: None
Course: Rolling hills
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:44
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:18:16 | 03 miles | 06m 05s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/15
Overall: 5/172
Performance: Below average
Course: out and back on gravel trail. Note the run course was short, real short, my pace was more like 6:20's. Unfortunately, I forgot to stop the watch at the finish and walked around for quite some time before noticing so didn't get run course distance.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2014-08-19 2:23 PM

User image

New user
Overland Park, KS
Subject: Jackson County Triathlon - Short Course
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Jackson County Triathlon - Short Course Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Jackson County Triathlon - Short Course

Started by mikec123
Views: 790 Posts: 3

2013-08-20 10:30 PM m.a.burghart

Started by mikec123
Views: 839 Posts: 1

2012-08-19 4:36 PM mikec123

Started by lawlordc
Views: 953 Posts: 1

2007-08-26 8:46 PM lawlordc

Jackson County Triathlon - Long Course

Started by princessliak
Views: 1146 Posts: 2

2007-08-26 7:24 PM kcguy

Started by LindaKC
Views: 1440 Posts: 1

2006-08-28 12:25 PM LindaKC
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 29, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 4
Second in a series of three articles about the basics, the niceties and the luxuries

date : August 20, 2008
author : newhomeowner
comments : 16
If you’re reading this because you’re still not sure, sign up for just one triathlon – a short sprint.