General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ticket while biking in NYC - Points? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-08-20 7:40 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cold Spring, NY
Subject: Ticket while biking in NYC - Points?
A couple of weeks ago I hopped a red light riding my folding commuter bike in Brooklyn and got myself a ticket. Feel free to pass judgment, but I'm here to ask a factual question if anyone knows.

I gave my drivers license as ID and asked the officer how a bike ticket worked. Him - "you pay a $120 fine". Me - "will this get me points on my license". Him - "No, that's only if you were driving a car". So on my way I go. I went online to plead guilty and found that pleading guilty would cost $278 ($190 + $88 surcharge) plus 3 points on my drivers license. So I plead not guilty and got a hearing date 8 months from now. I plead not guilty because I think I got the wrong violation, not because I'm not guilty. Does anyone know what the deal is? I googled it and got conflicting information as to whether bike tickets are the same as motor vehicle tickets.

Am I wasting half a day heading out there to fight this?

And would I (and other cyclists who disobey rules occasionally) be better off carrying my passport as ID when riding? You don't need a license to ride a bike, so why provide it if you have other government issued ID?

Thanks

2014-08-20 9:14 AM
in reply to: bdenehy

User image

Rochester, New York
Subject: RE: Ticket while biking in NYC - Points?
You are not supposed to receive points on your license in the State of New York for a traffic violation on a bicycle even though you are held to the same standards motor vehicle operators are. I'm glad you fought the ticket anyways because you are also pressuring the officer to show up, possibly mess up paperwork (as you suggested), or get the fine reduced because let's face it... ticket for running a red on a bike is petty (although dangerous and I'm glad you live to tell the tale). If the officer doesn't show, thrown out. If he gave you the wrong ticket, thrown out. Chances are you'll get a non moving violation in the end. Good luck!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ticket while biking in NYC - Points? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

5 Entries to the 2014 NYC Triathlon Available Through Restore NYC

Started by Restore NYC
Views: 717 Posts: 1

2014-03-26 4:37 PM Restore NYC

NYC Bike Course preview at Cadence

Started by jmk-brooklyn
Views: 847 Posts: 4

2008-06-27 9:00 AM mattdbrice

Bike shop recommendations in or around NYC?

Started by bjg26pt2
Views: 968 Posts: 6

2008-02-12 3:33 PM kuota3

Biking challenges in NYC

Started by jjhall
Views: 659 Posts: 3

2007-05-19 12:42 AM jjhall

Bike routes, NYC

Started by jjhall
Views: 686 Posts: 2

2007-04-27 10:18 AM tryemdad
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 28, 2012
author : IManTagalong
comments : 2
This is an article about my experience as a husband of a triathlete, while she trained for the Orangeman Triathlon

date : December 11, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 6
I just finished the NYC marathon on Sunday and I think I'm going to venture into triathlons. I am doing an Olympic distance and I want to do a 70.3 next year too. Any advice?
date : August 24, 2009
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
I've rested them for 6 weeks, twice. I've had Active Release Therapy, massages, I'm doing Trigger Point, and stretching. Yet, I'm still having issues and can't get above 3 miles.

date : October 10, 2004
author : Team BT
The ONLY way to compete in my first triathlon was to do it on my BMX. I’m no professional—nor do I aspire to be one, I just want to be fit and healthy.
date : October 3, 2004
author : adumey
One of my fears, besides the radioactive material content of the Hudson River, was the water temperature. I found the water was much warmer as I inched closer to the holding dock.