General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Cortisone shot for arthritis before IM - opinions please Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-08-20 7:55 AM

User image

Subject: Cortisone shot for arthritis before IM - opinions please

BACKGROUND  - Signed up last year for IMWI then found out that the sporadic burning in my right big toe is due to arthritis (also have a bunion there).  Decided to hold off surgery until after IM because it would've taken me out of training for 6 months and at that point the pain didn't show up in any consistent manner.  With increased run mileage and the heat of the summer the pain comes on quicker, requiring a stop every 30 minutes or so to apply biofreeze and then I can go another 30 minutes or so.  I'm a 55 year old woman and my goal is to complete the 140.6, to enjoy the journey and mark this off my bucket list. 

A friend suggested a cortisone shot to get me through IM and I'm not sure how I feel about it since I've not tried it and not sure how or if it'll work.  I'm 2 1/2 weeks out.  Since cortisone is a steroid will taking it enhance my performance?  If so, does that make me a cheater?   It looks like any side effects of the shot are minimal but is there anything else I should think about before possibly getting it?   If anyone's had a cortisone shot before a big event I sure would appreciate your thoughts.

2014-08-20 10:54 AM
in reply to: bswcpa

Subject: RE: Cortisone shot for arthritis before IM - opinions please
As far as cheating. I assume this is is on the banned list. They may be a Therapeutic Use Exemption process that you can go through to have it OK. My understanding is that as performance enhancers go it ins low on the list.
2014-08-20 11:23 AM

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

Corticosteroids are not the same as anabolic steroids, which are the banned kind.  The problem is, the corticosteroid can make you more susceptible to injury in the short term, and for that reason I would avoid it.

2014-08-20 11:31 AM

User image

Fairfax, VA
Bronze member

I've had a cortisone shot in the exact spot you're talking about (mine was a soccer injury that aggravated a bunion) because I wanted to put off surgery.  I will say that for the 24 hours directly after the injection, it hurt a lot, but then after that it did seem to help for a few months.  I didn't have a major event right after, but the shot did allow me to continue training and run a ragnar relay before I eventually got the surgery.  Good luck in the IM!!

2014-08-20 12:30 PM
in reply to: jenstewey

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

As above.  I would not get it the week before the event but it will most likely help you.  Corticosteroids are not performance enhancing drugs.  If you do not want an injection you could ask your doc for a topical anti inflammatory instead of the biofreeze

2014-08-20 2:27 PM
in reply to: Socks

User image

Regular
Clermont, Florida
I'd exercise caution. I think that glucocorticoids like prednisone and cortisone are actually prohibited "in competition". Meaning I believe they must be cleared (non-detectable) from your system before competition begins. It could then depend on type of steroid and method of administration. Two weeks out is likely okay, but you can get info about clearance times from the USADA website.

Just my 2 cents.

2014-08-20 2:41 PM
in reply to: mehaner

User image

Originally posted by mehaner

Corticosteroids are not the same as anabolic steroids, which are the banned kind.  The problem is, the corticosteroid can make you more susceptible to injury in the short term, and for that reason I would avoid it.

This.
2014-08-20 3:57 PM
in reply to: jennifer_runs

User image

From the US Anti-Doping Agency's athlete's guide website (http://www.usada.org/substances/prohibited-list/athlete-guide/):

Injections of glucocorticosteroids around tendons, into joints, and epidurals (into the spine) are not prohibited, but an injection into a muscle is prohibited

You are fine to get the shot and not worry about being a "cheater."

There are personal injury concerns that others mentioned .. you might not feel the pain that would otherwise slow you down. And you could cause more damage for the future. But if you resigned to surgery later, it might be wise to do the shot. I'd certainly consider doing it if I was in your shoes. Good luck .. hope the race goes well.
2014-08-20 7:18 PM
in reply to: jeremyscarroll

User image

Thanks everyone!  That's great news it's not considered a banned substance.  I made an appointment for Friday at a highly recommended podiatrist so we'll see what he has to say.  Since I'd always planned to have the surgery a month or so after IM this would be a one-shot deal if he gives me the green light.

Appreciate all your insight!

2014-08-20 7:22 PM

User image

Champion
MA

I have gotten steroid injection in both my knee and shoulder prior to an IM to allow me to complete the event. Get it sooner than later but go to the doc and ask questions as Sue 'socks' suggested as she is a sports Ortho and knows.

I didn't see myself as a cheater and never even considered I was a cheaters. I finished 7 minutes before midnight. I was pleased as punch that I finished given all the medical stuff I had going on.  I wasn't competing for KQ or AG podium but for myself. I even stopped and talked to my son who was at basic training while on the bike against the rules....strange how we talked to him only ever week or two for 15 minutes, and I happened to ride by my husband at IMFL at the exact time my son called...it was awesome!

Good luck and hope things calm down with your toe.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Cortisone shot for arthritis before IM - opinions please Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Cortisone Shot

Started by The Dude14
Views: 1737 Posts: 9

2013-03-26 9:19 AM jmhpsu93

please don't shoot me for the ultra noob bike question

Started by jon-m
Views: 1500 Posts: 20

2012-04-09 5:16 PM AdventureBear

more cortisone shot questions

Started by trigal38
Views: 1313 Posts: 17

2012-01-24 1:39 PM trigal38

Getting the Cortisone shot Pages: 1 2

Started by dewcubs
Views: 3477 Posts: 29

2010-08-17 8:56 PM dewcubs

I need opinions please

Started by Hermom
Views: 910 Posts: 12

2005-01-27 4:31 PM Hermom
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 19, 2008
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
I just completed my first Ironman season and I was free of injuries. I am now just messing around when I run at a fast pace (for me), I get a shooting pain in my right knee.

date : August 7, 2007
Yesterday I ran 10 miles. At mile 7 it started feeling sore. At mile 9.5 I got a shooting pain and walked the last 1/2 mile. I have a half Ironman to do in a week and a half. What are my chances?
date : December 18, 2006
Are there other triathletes who have compensated for lack of running due to arthritis? How is that done or how is it managed?

date : February 28, 2005
author : bostic
One of the most important pals a triathlete can have is the gel pack.