General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Newbie looking for Duathlon training & nutrition advice Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-08-20 9:01 AM

Subject: Newbie looking for Duathlon training & nutrition advice
Hi Everyone, I'm Scott.

I'm 27 (Ugh, almost 28) from Bury (Near Manchester) in England.

So for starters I'm a beginner on both the mountain bike and a returning runner (I've run for my University track team about 7 years ago now, and that was the last I did)

I'm 5'10, hovering around 160lbs, and I work full time in a care home (so yeah, 12 hours a day 4 days a week on my feet) and I cycle to and from work each day totalling 7.2 miles round-trip, taking me just over 40 minutes to complete at the moment on my MTB.

I just ran my first 5km training session and finished in just shy of 29 minutes.

What I'm looking for here initially is a very basic (although as specific as possible!) training regime and nutrition guide to help me get from average-Joe to competent Duathlete.

Anyone who can point me in the right direction or better still give me some example training & nutritional guides that fit my lifestyle at the moment I will be very grateful to.

-sc00t

2014-08-21 11:20 AM
in reply to: scottdavies86

User image

Champion
Subject: RE: Newbie looking for Duathlon training & nutrition advice

Welcome!  Do you pack your lunch(es)?  If not, I would say that is the first step to healthily fuel - plus it will save a lot of money.  The other thing is to make sure you DON'T do as your training ramps up is to 'diet'.  Make sure you eat when you are hungry.

Here are a few articles that may help:

Fueling on a Budget
The 2014 Guide to Healthy Snacking
Dieting - Not Allowed
Recovering from Hard Exercise: How to Refuel
Supermarket Shopping: Decisions and Dilemmas
Maintaining Weight While Triathlon Training
2014-09-03 4:29 AM

Personally, I think the worst nutritional advice is any "elimination diet" that says to completely remove an entire food group to lose weight. That includes Atkins, Blood-type diets, etc. Completely eliminating an entire category of nutrients just starves your body of those nutrients.

More advice: http://www.restoremyvisiontoday-reviewscam.com/
2014-09-03 6:04 AM

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
One of the most important things to train as a duathlete are bricks. Make sure you have a short run after each bike (a mile is enough) to get used to the feeling of running right off the bike. Also, you want to do a short bike after a few of your runs, just to get used to that feeling as well, although that tend to be a much easier transition.

Start off "just" riding and running to build the endurance back up (assume you have lost some since you stopped University track). After that, intervals will be your friend (and you enemy, they can be tough!) with your limited time. For running, find a track and then short, hard intervals (400m on, 200m off), medium intervals (800m on/400m off) and longer intervals (1600m on/800m off). These will build you speed quickly, but make sure you get rest since they will beat you up. For biking, same concept, shorter, hard intervals (2min on/1min off), medium intervals (5min on/2min off) and longer intervals (15-20min on/5-10min off). All these are designed to built power and speed.
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Newbie looking for Duathlon training & nutrition advice Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Newbie looking for ppl to train/race with!

Started by Payal
Views: 673 Posts: 2

2012-10-29 12:45 PM TriAya

Newbie Looking for Advice

Started by msneed
Views: 841 Posts: 2

2010-01-30 11:52 AM Mrschach

SC Newbie & FL Newbie Brothers Training 360 miles apart

Started by b2673ad
Views: 1379 Posts: 2

2009-07-15 8:40 PM McFuzz

a few months in looking for some advice

Started by Sirvelo
Views: 1104 Posts: 4

2003-10-22 3:43 PM Ron

New and looking for advice

Started by bigsarge
Views: 1102 Posts: 3

2003-10-22 9:06 AM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 30, 2006
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
I started riding this spring with the Carnac shoes on Look pedals (with plenty of float). About five minutes into a ride I get sharp pain on the outer edge of my feet, just behind the pedal.