General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Post Race Depression Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-08-20 1:15 PM

User image

Subject: Post Race Depression

Hey BT !

I've been away from Tri for about a year mainly because I lost all motivation after my big first race (Olympic in Aug of 2013). For lack of a better term, I think I went through withdrawl. I worked really hard at building a fitness base via basic str training/swimming/spin classes and then spent a solid 4 months on a Olympic distance training plan. After the race I continued some minimal workouts but after 2 months I lost all motivation to do anything. Without the daily workouts structuring my days I became kind of 'lost' with how much free time I suddenly had and became pretty depressed. Any time I tried to get back into the swing of things, it would last about 2-3 weeks then I would stop again for another 3-4 weeks. By the end of May, I realized I wouldn't be able to prepare properly for a Race at the end of the summer so I didn't sign-up and pretty much stopped working out the whole summer.

I'm starting to feel -that-training-drive- again so I'm relieved to know I have it in me to participate in more races. I really enjoyed the Olympic I did previously and want to do it again. I also feel like it would be a huge goal for me to complete a Half Marathon in April.

I wondered what other peoples experiences were after their first race or a big event they were training for.

Was my post race depression fairly common?

Was it just symptoms of over-training?

Is taking a year off to recuperate normal?

Any tips for getting back into Tri training or maintaining a better workout plan so I won't fall victim to overtraining again?

Thanks.

Edited by LPJmom 2014-08-20 1:17 PM

2014-08-20 1:21 PM
in reply to: LPJmom

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada
Subject: RE: Post Race Depression

Sign up for another race to motivate yourself to train (that seems to have worked the first time?).  Before that race happens, sign up for the next one!  

2014-08-20 1:57 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

It's normal to feel that way after a big race, which is why many people have something planned for after. That said, while some recovery and rest is important, you shouldn't need a year. If you felt very burnt out by the end, you may have overtrained a bit (I did something similar this year for my spring marathon, and I'm just now feeling recouped).

So as you come back, start out gradually. Maybe start with another sprint and have an Olympic as your first goal race. If that goes well, look for a half-IM. There are probably some later in the summer that don't require you to sign up more than a month or so in advance.

Edited by jennifer_runs 2014-08-20 1:58 PM
2014-08-20 1:59 PM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

Fairfax, VA
Bronze member

Originally posted by axteraa

Sign up for another race to motivate yourself to train (that seems to have worked the first time?).  Before that race happens, sign up for the next one!  

Agreed.  For me, actually being signed up for a race provides more motivation than just training.  Also, not all races have to be big races.. signing up for random smaller events might keep you more motivated during the long stretches between your bigger races.

2014-08-20 2:02 PM
in reply to: LPJmom

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

Originally posted by LPJmom

Hey BT !

I've been away from Tri for about a year mainly because I lost all motivation after my big first race (Olympic in Aug of 2013). For lack of a better term, I think I went through withdrawl. I worked really hard at building a fitness base via basic str training/swimming/spin classes and then spent a solid 4 months on a Olympic distance training plan. After the race I continued some minimal workouts but after 2 months I lost all motivation to do anything. Without the daily workouts structuring my days I became kind of 'lost' with how much free time I suddenly had and became pretty depressed. Any time I tried to get back into the swing of things, it would last about 2-3 weeks then I would stop again for another 3-4 weeks. By the end of May, I realized I wouldn't be able to prepare properly for a Race at the end of the summer so I didn't sign-up and pretty much stopped working out the whole summer.

I'm starting to feel -that-training-drive- again so I'm relieved to know I have it in me to participate in more races. I really enjoyed the Olympic I did previously and want to do it again. I also feel like it would be a huge goal for me to complete a Half Marathon in April.

I wondered what other peoples experiences were after their first race or a big event they were training for.

Was my post race depression fairly common?

Was it just symptoms of over-training?

Is taking a year off to recuperate normal?

Any tips for getting back into Tri training or maintaining a better workout plan so I won't fall victim to overtraining again?

Thanks.

Really depends on what your goals are for the sport. I did my first Sprint in 2008 just to do it. First HIM in 2009, then I got married and was out of the game for a bit. 2nd HIM in 2011. Took 2012-2013 and switched to weight training as my wife got very involved in it and wanted me to do that with her. Got tired of being a meathead in 2013 and decided it was time to get back on the bike, did mostly cycling in 2013 then first IM this summer.

So yeah, based on my timeline I appear to have a tendency to take time off after an event. I was pretty casual about all this up until this year. I started group riding in 2013 but did not get heavily involved. I have been very involved in the group this year and we are talking about starting a race team for next year so I can't afford a bunch of time off now, have to keep it going through the winter. I did take a month off after my IM and have been a bit slow with the training lately. Going to hit it hard again in Sep after a June IM.

Do whatever makes you happy. Do a tri one year and then try something else if you are bored. Straight cycling is a lot of fun if you find a good group. Heck a lot of people try Crossfit for a bit. 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Post Race Depression Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

post race depression- getting out of the funk

Started by neurocyclist
Views: 1561 Posts: 19

2011-04-01 2:50 PM neurocyclist

Lance's Quotes about his race...Post race news..

Started by Little Tom
Views: 1391 Posts: 11

2006-11-06 1:28 PM chirunner134

Restarting question (post-race, post-injury)

Started by hercrj
Views: 588 Posts: 5

2005-09-28 11:40 AM us50090

Post-Tri Depression/Anxiety?

Started by AlBearAngel
Views: 521 Posts: 3

2005-06-22 10:49 PM cadreamer

Conflicting emotions/post-triathlum depression Pages: 1 2

Started by Renee
Views: 2018 Posts: 34

2005-05-25 2:37 PM Whizzer
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 29, 2011
author : trmat79
comments : 2
A story about the motivation to overcome everyday challenges

date : June 10, 2008
author : IRONVIKING
comments : 4
A poll goes out to all the Ironman BT'ers in an effort to understand why some get depressed after an Ironman and why some don't and what can be learned.
date : June 5, 2008
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
By adequately fueling with protein and carbohydrates within 30-minutes post workout, consecutive workouts will be more successful.

date : November 4, 2007
author : mrakes1
comments : 4
What you eat prior to your workout will determine your energy levels during a workout. What you eat after a workout will determine how quickly you recover.
date : June 11, 2007
author : Courage
comments : 8
What is it that brought me to my knees one Sunday morning and then kicked me into a hole of self loathing and apparent depression? My apparent salvation was my old blue Fuji Royale II.

date : May 21, 2007
author : katzchen55
comments : 11
If you are suffering from depression like me, take heart - you are not alone. You can use exercise and triathlon training as depression therapy.
date : October 3, 2006
author : Writebrained
comments : 3
A depressive, convinced that he is unloved by those close to him, may seek to win a more general recognition of his merits by acquiring public acclaim; competition is one way of doing this.

date : April 2, 2006
author : ciarac
comments : 0
The psychological benefits of aerobic exercise are numerous: mood enhancing, reduced anxiety and depression and also stress reduction.