General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Arrgg. Pity party. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-08-21 3:22 PM

Subject: Arrgg. Pity party.
Hurt my back Tuesday with my first Olympic length coming up next weekend. Lifted a box in a way I knew I shouldn't. I knew it at the time. Stupid stupid stupid.

I'm pretty sure I'll be in decent shape by then, backwise. I did it earlier this year. It took a couple weeks, but I didn't really miss a whole lot of exercise.

So far, I've really only missed one workout and cut one down. It's not like I'm training for any serious distance, but I was trying to sort of 'practice' some of the methods used in the longer distance plans I've been looking at. You know....kinda pushing my distance over a couple week period there. I was looking at this week being pretty moderate and tailing off into next week. Again, I know it's only Olympic length, but I can't imagine it hurts to practice on a smaller scale.

Now I worry that any time I miss this week, will mess me up. Why can I be sooooo dang confident one week, and then something relatively insignificant (missing a few days of exercise) shake that confidence so quickly? I mean, I hit the pool pretty hard (more than I have ever done up to this point), I pushed past the distances I need to go and was really happy with the results. And then wham. All confidence gone.

I suppose it's because I've not gone quite that distance yet. Close, but no pretzel rod. Maybe I need to look at this as a good thing. Being able to practice a planned pre-race workout schedule that gets screwed up and deal with it "on the day".

/whining

Edited by jhaack39 2014-08-21 3:24 PM

2014-08-21 3:52 PM
in reply to: jhaack39

User image

Denver, CO
Subject: RE: Arrgg. Pity party.

I totally get it.  I have hip issues that flare up sometimes and I get freaked out when it keeps me from doing what I have on the schedule.  It's frustrating when logic says I'll be fine but I'm still worrying.  Just remember that (a) worrying about it isn't going to change anything, and (b) trust your training.  (Says the utter newbie who just did her 1st tri last weekend ).

Hope you heal up quick and that you have a great race.

2014-08-21 3:59 PM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

Having suffered with back problems off and on since high school, I can feel your pain.

In my exeperince, rest would be the best course of action at this point.  If you've built up a good base with your training, then losing a few days shouldn't be that big a deal.

I've been in a similar situation in the past when I pretty much did nothing for a few days leading up until a race to let my back loosen up and then made a last minute decision on whether or not to race based on how I felt.  Obviously, the last thing you want to do is make it worse and put yourself out of action for a longer period of time.

Hope you heal soon.

Mark

2014-08-21 4:01 PM
in reply to: laffinrock

Originally posted by laffinrock

I totally get it.  I have hip issues that flare up sometimes and I get freaked out when it keeps me from doing what I have on the schedule.  It's frustrating when logic says I'll be fine but I'm still worrying.  Just remember that (a) worrying about it isn't going to change anything, and (b) trust your training.  (Says the utter newbie who just did her 1st tri last weekend ).

Hope you heal up quick and that you have a great race.

I think the folks that have more experience under their belts handle it better.
Then again, I was out getting some work done and was thinking about it all.
And boom, there's problem.

I think it may have been unwise for someone such as myself who's an overthinker...to take up the endeavor of triathlon. Seems like that can be a match made in Hades.

But, I'm not gonna stop doing it. It's fun. I suppose, though, for the mildly obsessives like me it could be argues that it's actually be part of the 'fun'.
2014-08-22 8:08 AM

Um........ Nearly all triathletes are obsessive......... Welcome to the club!

2014-08-22 9:22 AM

User image

Champion

Do you have a good chiropractor?  I have suffered from many back problems the last few decades and the chiro fixes me up pretty quick usually requiring only 2-5 days off and with lower back stuff, you can at least keep swimming.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Arrgg. Pity party. Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

slow runners pity party Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8

Started by turtlegirl
Views: 14277 Posts: 187

2011-10-19 12:03 PM crazyalaskian

One Day Pity Party

Started by anth0424
Views: 1571 Posts: 21

2011-06-22 7:12 PM falconsprint63

Wanna come to my pity party?

Started by smarti
Views: 2584 Posts: 22

2008-09-19 5:16 PM AndriaLL

Houston Marathon & Party

Started by CitySky
Views: 490 Posts: 1

2006-01-04 7:24 PM CitySky

Life gets in the Way!!! (Mini Pity Party)

Started by bballer2tri
Views: 1009 Posts: 11

2005-08-11 12:21 AM KSlostStar