General Discussion Triathlon Talk » BT & noob Swimmer in cold tri - Are Booties Free Speed? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-08-22 3:32 PM

Subject: BT & noob Swimmer in cold tri - Are Booties Free Speed?
Hi all,

Planning on the Morro Bay Olympic Tri in November where water temps are around 57 - 60 deg F. I'm very much a newbie swimmer (couldn't swim at all 2 years ago and have yet to even do a solid 500 test set) AND a real chicken $#!^ when it comes to cold. Will definitely rent full-sleeve suit and buy a neoprene skull cap. Ear plugs seem like solid advice too.

But what about booties/socks? Some say they aren't needed. But wouldn't they increase leg buoyancy right at the end of that long lever arm called your legs and hence be a nice helper? I'm a serious leg dragger in the pool and find buoy sets really nice. Should I plan on booties too? Downsides?

tia...
--Scott

2014-08-22 3:48 PM
in reply to: scottrfrancis

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland
Subject: RE: BT & noob Swimmer in cold tri - Are Booties Free Speed?

Originally posted by scottrfrancis Hi all, Planning on the Morro Bay Olympic Tri in November where water temps are around 57 - 60 deg F. I'm very much a newbie swimmer (couldn't swim at all 2 years ago and have yet to even do a solid 500 test set) AND a real chicken $#!^ when it comes to cold. Will definitely rent full-sleeve suit and buy a neoprene skull cap. Ear plugs seem like solid advice too. But what about booties/socks? Some say they aren't needed. But wouldn't they increase leg buoyancy right at the end of that long lever arm called your legs and hence be a nice helper? I'm a serious leg dragger in the pool and find buoy sets really nice. Should I plan on booties too? Downsides? tia... --Scott

booties will slow you down tremendously, you should be fine with the wetsuit,

2014-08-22 6:38 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
I wore booties at Tahoe last year and that was my only regret wrt the swim. I really did feel like they slowed me down significantly. I can't figure out why they would slow someone down so much but I certainly felt like that is what they did to me and it does seem to be the prevailing wisdom that booties are slower.

I swam in 55 ish water this Spring without booties and had no problem. And like you, I hate cold water. It would have to be below 50 for me to consider using them again.
2014-08-22 7:13 PM

User image

Veteran
Great White North
They slow you down heaps.
2014-08-22 7:22 PM

User image

I'll pile on with another experience.

Beach 2 Battleship they suggest booties. It's cold enough but I've swam in colder without them without a problem.

However it's about a quarter mile from end of swim down a street to get to T1. That's why you wanted booties on that swim.

2014-08-22 8:27 PM
in reply to: DanielG

User image

I can't chime in on them since I never wore them but when I did Racine (61 degrees) I was pretty nervous about that. I have a full wet suit and when I zipped the thing up a few minutes before my wave, I was sweating like crazy in that thing. Getting in the water felt like a huge relieve. I did notice it was cool but it was very manageable. I had a few minutes of heat buffer and then when the the gun went off, just moving kept me warm.

2014-08-22 11:34 PM
in reply to: Blastman

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
I wear booties early in the season in training but would never race in them. I made that mistake at a cold HIM several years ago. it was a nightmare.I pull my wetsuit cuff over the booties but with the extra length of the swim and effort level my cuffs worked themselves up and my booties were acting like a sea anchor. Then one felt like it was coming off and I debated whenever to just kick it off but didn't want some kind of littering penalty. I also was afraid to contort in the water to pull it back on because I was afraid of cramping. Even under normal conditions they will fill with water so there is additional mass and drag. They do not fit as tight as a wetsuit.
2014-08-23 4:01 PM

User image

Regular
Clermont, Florida
My experience is different than most of the responses. I have worn my neoprene cap and booties 3 times in iron distance swims at B2B (twice) and at IM AZ. I am a Floridian and hate cold water. I am also a slooow swimmer - usually 2.4 swim in 1:15 - 1:25. I did not notice any real problems with the booties and feel the warm comfy feet actually were a good trade off for any drop in speed. But, again I'm pretty slow so really not likely to notice the slowdown.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » BT & noob Swimmer in cold tri - Are Booties Free Speed? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Swim Speed Per 100 tracking (novice swimmer)

Started by MKAH
Views: 3595 Posts: 16

2008-11-02 12:18 AM MKAH

noob swimmer: breathing & dizzyness

Started by javaMonk
Views: 1716 Posts: 18

2008-08-08 8:42 AM javaMonk

Noob swimmer: sanity check

Started by tri_bob
Views: 988 Posts: 7

2008-07-17 9:43 PM tmueller

Cold water swim booties/gloves?