General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ice Baths--are you a fan? When?? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-08-23 10:43 AM

User image

Subject: Ice Baths--are you a fan? When??
Seeing some friends taking ice baths during IM training. How long are the workouts before you do this? When is the best time? Just looking for some info. If they will help me recover faster for the next long workout I am all ears.

2014-08-23 6:15 PM
in reply to: #5042749

User image

Utah
Subject: RE: Ice Baths--are you a fan? When??
I love them on any runs longer than about 10 miles, or any challenging ride. They really seem to help with soreness for me. I follow them by wearing compression socks or tights and it is a great win/win combination.
2014-08-23 7:02 PM
in reply to: midwesttrimom

User image

Canyon, Texas
I completely gave up ice baths and ice packs in normal training, instead, I save them just for injuries. I read a few studies in Men's Health that although ice may help reduce inflammation and provide relief in the short-term, it can inhibit muscular strength and growth in the long-term. For me, I focus my recovery efforts on hydration, nutrition, and self-massage for larger adhesions.

Even while I did use ice, I often found it made me feel stiff and prolonged my aches/ level of discomfort. Just my experience.
2014-08-25 7:28 AM
in reply to: tlancer23

Master
Northern IL

I've seen some of the same information. I don't really ice bath at all and tend to save other recovery tools like this for after races or for times when I end up doing more than I should have. In those times recovery would take quite awhile and I want to get back at it. If I need to use them, I'm probably trying to do too much. I stick more with hydration, nutrition and watching the activity level.

2014-08-25 8:43 AM
in reply to: brigby1

New user
Key West
Could never make myself get into an ice bath. I did find out about some new compression pants though that has pockets for ice packs. I think 110 Compression makes them.
2014-08-28 7:30 AM
in reply to: midwesttrimom

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Originally posted by midwesttrimom

Seeing some friends taking ice baths during IM training. How long are the workouts before you do this? When is the best time? Just looking for some info. If they will help me recover faster for the next long workout I am all ears.

You don't want to recover "faster" you want to recover optimally. Ice baths and certain other methods will reduce the body's abilities to recover from the stresses put on it. How you get stronger is by letting the body naturally recover from the stress. Reducing that ability with ice baths reduces the effectiveness on the workout. Essentially you are devaluing the training stress. If you want to do ice baths I would recommend them only when you completed a very hot session and use it to cool your body down (if you struggle cooling down).

It's reasons such as this that First Endurance has gotten rid of Vitamins C/E in their recovery products. They don't want to stunt the body from absorbing the training stress.

2014-08-28 5:00 PM
in reply to: bcagle25

User image

Expert
Charlotte, NC
I only do them after long races (marathon, HIM, IM, etc) and not during training for the reasons already noted. Very difficult to convince myself to get in the water, but they certainly seem to help me with recovery.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ice Baths--are you a fan? When?? Rss Feed