General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri Clarksville Triathlon - Sprint Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Tri Clarksville Triathlon - Sprint Course - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Clarksville, Tennessee
United States
Team Magic
80F / 27C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 21m 7s
Overall Rank = 21/135
Age Group = 55-59
Age Group Rank = 3/10
Pre-race routine:

It was an hour drive and 7:30 start so I got up early to eat, take out the dog, and put on my tri tats. It rained the whole way up there so I was worried about bike handling more than anything. Fortunately, the rain stopped when I got up there and there were no rain-related issues.
Event warmup:

I swam a couple hundred yards to get warmed up...felt pretty good.
Swim
  • 09m 55s
  • 400 meters
  • 02m 29s / 100 meters
Comments:

The course must have been long. I didn't swim all over the place and I swam a similar race a couple weeks ago in 7 minutes. I felt like I swam pretty hard so I wasn't thrilled with the time.
What would you do differently?:

Switch goggles. I wore my clear goggles because it was overcast but I couldn't see out of them very well. I stayed on course pretty well but I had to sight a bit more than I wanted to.
Transition 1
  • 08m 12s
Comments:

Transition was 1/2 mile-ish from the swim exit so most people brought shoes down to the ramp. I spent a couple extra seconds getting my feet in my shoes because I didn't loosen them up enough. Run up to the bike was fine...just need to be faster. I was 3rd fastest in my age group and 39/135 overall.

Run faster. :)
Bike
  • 38m 15s
  • 12.6 miles
  • 19.76 mile/hr
Comments:

I had a good ride although I think I burned a couple of matches on the hills...probably everyone did. Avg HR was 138 which is a LT effort for me.

Not much. Given that this was a sprint, I wanted to have just enough gas in the tank to handle a decent 2.6 mile run (they subtracted the long run from the swim to the bike from the run mileage to get the overall run to a 5k distance).
Transition 2
  • 01m 40s
Comments:

Decent but could be faster. 3/10 in my age group and 40/135 overall.

Going sockless would speed up things.
Run
  • 23m 7s
  • 2.64 miles
  • 08m 46s  min/mile
Comments:

Coming out of T2 I felt ok. I must have hit it a bit hard because I was hurting at the 3/4 mile point. I wasn't sure if I could make it to the turn around without stopping but I did (it was getting pretty hot by this time). The saving grace was the wet rags and water/gatorade they had at the turn around...who would have thought a little 2ish run would be so hard! I maintained a decent pace on the way back although the extra time drinking/walking the turn around probably cost me a shot at 2nd place.

Train the run a bit more. I ran a marathon in April but I haven't maintained decent run mileage since then.
Post race
Warm down:

They had a cold water soaker tub...I took off my shoes and dipped my feet in...ahhh! Got something to drink and rehashed the race with the guy that got first in my division. The RD had a post race food spread set up in an air conditioned building up the hill from the finish line...that's where I headed next. :)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

genetics and training.

Event comments:

It was a fun race. The bike was a bit harder than I expected for such a short effort. The swim was ok, but being in the marina cove, I kept getting a whiff of gas fumes. I'd rather swim outside the protection of the cove and avoid the "marina" smells.

Last updated: 2014-08-26 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:55 | 400 meters | 02m 29s / 100meters
Age Group: 5/10
Overall: 26/135
Performance: Below average
Suit: Zoot tri top and shorts
Course: Triangle shape in marina cove.
Start type: Run Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 78F / 26C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 08:12
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:38:15 | 12.6 miles | 19.76 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/10
Overall: 13/135
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Out and back. The first segment had some short punchy climbs. My Garmin measured grades from 3% - 10%.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:40
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:23:07 | 02.64 miles | 08m 46s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/10
Overall: 52/135
Performance: Average
Course: Flat out and back
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2014-08-26 10:15 AM

User image

Franklin, TN
Subject: Tri Clarksville Triathlon - Sprint Course
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri Clarksville Triathlon - Sprint Course Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Tri-ing for Children's Triathlon - Sprint Course

Started by lakelandsledder
Views: 990 Posts: 1

2012-07-31 11:32 AM lakelandsledder

Started by TUEFELHUNDEN
Views: 1382 Posts: 1

2012-07-30 12:30 PM TUEFELHUNDEN

Started by sgoehner
Views: 952 Posts: 1

2012-07-29 11:24 PM sgoehner

Tri-It-High Triathlon - Sprint Course

Started by robgram
Views: 892 Posts: 1

2012-07-16 10:13 AM robgram

Tri-It Women's Triathlon - Sprint Course

Started by jobaxas
Views: 970 Posts: 3

2012-01-29 5:17 AM jobaxas
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 7, 2008
author : gczarski
comments : 0
This past spring I realized a few of us were heading in the wrong direction physically. We were getting together for poker games and kids’ birthdays, but that was it.

date : September 8, 2008
author : pjwalzphd
comments : 2
When I told my husband that I planned to work toward completing a sprint triathlon, he smiled and was supportive, but a bit disbelieving.
date : April 1, 2008
author : trvw
The challenge? The accomplishment? I want to do this because it is an opportunity to live life. The event is an indoor sprint triathlon. I get to experience the challenge on a safer scale.

date : February 5, 2008
author : Team BT
Complete course preview of the North East triathlon on 8/17/2008 featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!
date : January 1, 2008
Complete course preview of the Philadelphia Women's Only Triathlon in Pennsylvania featuring a Sprint and a Duathlon race. Mark your calendars!

date : December 3, 2007
comments : 1
Complete course preview of the New Jersey State triathlon featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!
date : November 22, 2007
comments : 1
Complete course preview of the Black Bear triathlon in Pennsylvania featuring a Sprint and a 1/2 Ironman distance race. Mark your calendars!

date : October 4, 2007
author : AdamA
comments : 4
I was passing others who were saying, "Good job, 587" (that was my race number). People were cheering me on. These were the nicest people I have ever been around!