General Discussion Triathlon Talk » marathon training while doing an HIM Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-08-26 8:50 PM

User image

Elite
Subject: marathon training while doing an HIM

Hi everyone. I have an 18 miler on deck per my marathon training group. I don't really want to get too far behind, as that I'm missing a 20 miler next week when I'm doing an HIM.  I don't recover too well from long runs, but I'm wondering if I'll be able to recover from a Sunday long run of 18 miles with an HIM the following Saturday.  the marathon is more my A race than the HIM, but of course I want to do well next week too.

What do you suggest?

2014-08-26 8:58 PM
in reply to: turtlegirl

User image

Subject: RE: marathon training while doing an HIM

Well, I take it that the marathon is not your "real...ultimate...all in" goal race because if it was, you wouldn't have signed up for a HIM so close to it.

So that said, I wouldn't do an 18 mile run the week before a HIM.  It's not all about the long run.  The long run is just part of your run training.  If you're doing a good run program, it should only be about 25-30% of your run training.  So shortening that long run the week before the HIM to say 10 miles is not that big a deal when you look at the whole picture.  Then the 13 mile run as part of your HIM...if paced well, will still be a tough run and give you lots of run training stress.

If you're still freaking out about missing long runs, then skip the HIM and do your long runs as planned.  My guess is that if you do the 18 miler, you'll end up walking/shuffling a lot more during your HIM and probably digging yourself into a deeper recovery hole post HIM.

Just my 2 cents of course.

2014-08-26 9:01 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Elite

yep. Oh and I have plenty of time for my marathon training. Its not until November 2.  This marathon group does three 20 milers, which I've always felt is too much for me. The next one is Oct 4th, so I have time to get it done.

I like your idea more. I can easily handle 13-16, but above that, yeah I really feel it. 

2014-08-26 10:00 PM

It depends on how long you are running for.

If it were me, I'd skip the group (unless the group ran at MY long run pace) and run for 2 hours at my long run pace, and my mileage would be however far I got. It would be easy enough to recover from, but long enough to be considered a "long run."
2014-08-26 10:02 PM
in reply to: ImSore

Also to clarify, long run pace should be generally easy and conversational, usually 1 to 2 minutes slower than marathon pace, or if you train by heart rate, somewhere in the range of 65 to 78 % of max.
2014-08-27 8:27 AM

User image

Elite

Oh yes, this is my group I've been training with for two years and at my pace. For me its the miles that beat me up, not the speed (which is still wicked slow!).  Thats why I do need to get in the 15-20 mile runs.  The 13 miles don't beat me up but 15+ does.

So I think I'll probably do 12 miles this weekend, the HIM the next weekend, and then we have a down weekend with a hilly half marathon on the 14th as part of our program. I think I will add 5 miles to that weekend b/c I just can't go so long without the longer miles.  Thats the best plan! I'll just swap easy weeks.

2014-08-27 9:57 AM

Again, its important to remember the amount of time your long runs take, not so much how many miles you cover. If you are out there for more than 3 hours then you are dealing with more muscle breakdown and a significant amount of glycogen depletion.

Running the miles is good for confidence, but for your body it is taking a toll and results in prolonged recovery during which you could have been running better and getting more fitness gains.

2014-08-27 11:07 AM

User image

Elite

Generally when I go by triathlon training plan I do hours but these running folks are only thinking miles!

I take around 3 hours to do 16 miles, so probably 2.5 hours is where I start to really feel it.

2014-08-27 7:09 PM

New user

I was in the same boat, so I'll explain what I did. Every data point I include about my paces/times is solely meant as a guide that you could use to estimate what relative times would be for you.

Here are the previous three weeks of my mara long run schedule:

Week 2 - 8/10 - 18 miles
Week 3 - 8/17 - 20 miles, Timberman 70.3
Week 4 - 8/24 - 20 miles

With that, I:

Did the 8/10 18 miles at slightly below goal mara pace, knowing I had a full week to recover since I'd significantly taper my running the week of the HIM.

Race day - goal starting the run was to keep it easy at around 7:00/mile, or for me, stand alone 13.1 pace + approx. 45 seconds. I know this is a pace that will keep me from cooking my legs. By taking it easy I can still recover in time for my 20 miler on 8/24. I held the 7:00 pace until a stomach cramp at mile 7.5, so oh well, I slowed down a little more.

I was not out to redline on the bike and run because Philly IS my A race. In my opinion, a HIM gives your legs the same or greater muscular workout than any long run ever will. So you have to miss a long run? You make up for it with 70.3, including a big aerobic workout unless you are seriously racing it. If so, I might give a different opinion

So the result of running the HIM leg at a dialed back pace? Very little fatigue on Monday, ran 8 miles Tuesday morning at a solid pace. 1.5 weeks post-HIM, I'm right on pace with my planned mileage
2014-08-27 9:02 PM
in reply to: NovaRunr

If your marathon isn't until November 2nd, then cutting a 18 mile run to 10 miles on August 30th isn't going to affect your marathon. Running 18 miles 7 days before a HIM may affect your HIM unless you've got a really strong running base already built. Honestly, I'd be more worried about how the taper and the post race recovery is going to affect your marathon more than just one run. I wouldn't have planned them this close together, you'll probably end up losing nearly 3 weeks of solid run base building.
2014-08-28 10:08 AM
in reply to: ziggie204

User image

Elite

That schedule was immensely helpful, thanks!!

I'm doing the HIM for fun, with a bunch of friends after kind of a lackluster/injury prone year. First it was knee issues, then it was toe/rib injuries from a fall. In any case I'm totally fit enough for the HIM, its flat, and should do fairly well (for ME).  I don't want to just train through it, as that I've got lots of time.

Told me group leaders at track last night my dilemma and they convinced me 12 is plenty (about 2 hours).  And the best part is I can still run with them since the course is a point to point, I'll just head off the trail early at a subway stop and get back to my car.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » marathon training while doing an HIM Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

For you HIM in training folks who are doing AM training

Started by agarose2000
Views: 1823 Posts: 17

2012-06-21 12:08 PM Rudedog55

Tri training & marathon training

Started by sjgauge
Views: 1584 Posts: 18

2008-02-23 11:06 AM riorio

Whiling away the time...

Started by JerseyQuaker
Views: 1851 Posts: 5

2007-10-12 7:28 AM pinktrigal

Tri Training and 1/2 Marathon Training.

Started by Crazypop
Views: 747 Posts: 3

2005-03-07 5:12 PM Crazypop

tri training and marathon training

Started by cece
Views: 1633 Posts: 11

2004-08-27 2:31 PM the bear
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 30, 2011
comments : 0
How do you incorporate marathon training into a triathlon training plan?

date : April 28, 2011
author : fivecents
comments : 5
What my first sprint distance triathlon taught me about myself.
date : February 23, 2010
comments : 1
Can I do extra running miles for my two half marathons while starting a half Ironman training program?

date : October 13, 2009
I signed up for Ironman Frankfurt, next year July - and I am very excited about it. I originally planned to run my first Marathon in the middle of September, but am not sure if this is wise.
date : April 22, 2009
author : AMSSM
comments : 1
After the Marine Corps Marathon, I started developing left lower/lateral leg pain late in my marathon training and pushed through it.

date : October 7, 2008
author : Coach AJ
I'm going to let you in on how to get faster by doing nothing. Well, not exactly nothing, but you won't have to raise your heart rate, put out 300 watts, or really even break a sweat.
date : October 2, 2007
author : docgill
Is it possible for loners to work in a small group and still have plenty of time on their own? Training in small groups can give many benefits.

date : August 17, 2007
author : scoli121
comments : 6
I quickly browsed an article in Men's Health that talked about doing a triathlon, and how it wasn't really that hard. With a "tsk!" I quickly turned the page while thinking, "Yeah, right!"