General Discussion Triathlon Talk » About to buy a 310xt. Should I not??? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-08-27 10:20 AM

Subject: About to buy a 310xt. Should I not???
With the 910xt, Fenix2, and a possible new Tri watch coming soon, will garmin stop supporting the 310 xt? I think I read where they will not do much for the 310xt. Should I just bite my lip, reach deeper into the piggy bank and splurge for the 910xt or the Fenix2.

2014-08-27 10:27 AM
in reply to: respro

User image

Master
Rural Ontario
Subject: RE: About to buy a 310xt. Should I not???
What kind of support are you expecting to need??? The watch has been around for a long while so the firmware has been updated a few times and all the bugs and kinks are now worked out. It simply works. I don't expect any additional support (unless its a warranty claim).

The watch itself works well, is reliable and quite affordable because its no longer cutting edge.
I have a 310xt and am vary happy with. If I should happen to lose it I would replace it with another 310xt.
2014-08-27 11:00 AM
in reply to: mgalanter

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Originally posted by mgalanter What kind of support are you expecting to need??? The watch has been around for a long while so the firmware has been updated a few times and all the bugs and kinks are now worked out. It simply works. I don't expect any additional support (unless its a warranty claim). The watch itself works well, is reliable and quite affordable because its no longer cutting edge. I have a 310xt and am vary happy with. If I should happen to lose it I would replace it with another 310xt.

x2 - i have it from before the 910 and Fenix were out - it's a great device.  Unless you really want the other features of the others mentioned, then you should bite the bullet and spend the extra cash.  I've used my 310 in 3 HIM's and an IM with no issues, and I use it as my bike computer with the cadence sensor.  I do not feel the need to 'upgrade' to the other devices since mine still works fine.  That said, I did get the Garmin Swim as i joined a tri swim group and it gives me cool indoor swim metrics - cheaper than going with the 910 for indoor swim features.  

2014-08-27 11:43 AM
in reply to: juniperjen

Regular
Apple Valley, Minnesota
I just got a 310 and love it. I was thinking about the 910, for the swim features. I got the HSC 10 speed and cadence kit and just ordered a QR kit. its slick.
2014-08-27 2:11 PM
in reply to: GotBackup

User image

Iowa City, Iowa
With respect to watches I plan to stay one-step behind in technology at least for now as a graduate student (talk to me about minimum wage issues haha). Anyways, I am using the Timex Global Trainer. It's old but gets the job done and I like it. When money permits or when the TGT permanently dies, I'll likely navigate to the 310xt unless my wife OKs the 910xt purchase (she likely won't since I'd rather put the money towards a triathlon bike).

From my understanding the 310xt does most but what I liked about the 910xt is the ability to auto-lap while swimming indoors (that's neat that the watch knows!).

I follow DC Rainmakers website periodically (he has great reviews on these products) and he has mentioned that Garmin is already looking into making the 910xt successor perhaps releasing it by the end of the year (speculation perhaps) so that could potentially lower the cost of the 910xt.

From what others have said, the 310xt does what it does and it does it well. For the cost, it's a worthwhile purchase if you're in the market for a new GPS watch.
2014-08-27 8:38 PM
in reply to: ChemNerd23

I got the 310xt refurbished on ebay for $129. Works great

2014-08-28 5:52 AM

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
I have a 310XT and my wife has the 910XT. The 910 has 3 major benefits, the swim function (I'm a duathlete, so a non-issue for me), altimeter based on barometric pressure instead of GPS (makes the readings much more exact and correct) and the very fast sync with satellite signals (it takes me a good 3-5 minutes of standing very still while the 310 is locking into the signals, whereas my wife's 910 is done within 15-20 seconds).

In other words, unless you are really using the swim function, with some annoying quirks, the 310XT is a great watch.
2014-08-28 8:33 AM
in reply to: audiojan

User image

Regular
Grand Rapids, MI USA
I have timex cycle trainer 2.0 with speed cadence ... you can also throw in your pocket for run gps, don't like to wear stuff on my wrist
2014-08-28 11:00 PM

User image

Pro

it really depends on what you're looking for. the 310xt is a really solid watch, with a lot of capabilities and a stellar price these days.  It also can be mounted to the garmin quick release, so you can swap positions during a race (although many have had that mount release the watch during their OWS).  

The new watches have some features worth paying for.   Firstly- packaging.  the 310xt is rather large compared to the new units.  As mentioned above, the new top of the line watches do pool and OWS swim tracking, really quick satellite reception, and if you look at watches like the Fenix 2 and Ambit 2, real customizability for sports well beyond S/B/R.  And, the latest feature seems to be a watch that communicates via Bluetooth with your cell phone, so you can upload your workouts without being near your computer (useful) and will display your text messages and phone calls (ugh- can live without that).  Fenix 2, Ambit 3 are both rather amazing units.  You can also wear them like regular watches, unlike the 310 and 910.

As for lack of support... the 310xt a pretty stable watch with mature firmware.  i wouldn't expect any future updates- but it really doesn't need any.

2014-08-29 2:33 PM
in reply to: morey000

User image

I'm not really concerned about wearing mine as a regular watch, but I would love the bluetooth features of the newer Garmins.

Mine is the 910xt, which doesn't have the bluetooth, but what it has over of the 310xt is the swim metrics for pool swimming. That's a feature worth having for me.
2014-08-29 6:19 PM
in reply to: morey000

Originally posted by morey000

it really depends on what you're looking for. the 310xt is a really solid watch, with a lot of capabilities and a stellar price these days.  It also can be mounted to the garmin quick release, so you can swap positions during a race (although many have had that mount release the watch during their OWS).  

The new watches have some features worth paying for.   Firstly- packaging.  the 310xt is rather large compared to the new units.  As mentioned above, the new top of the line watches do pool and OWS swim tracking, really quick satellite reception, and if you look at watches like the Fenix 2 and Ambit 2, real customizability for sports well beyond S/B/R.  And, the latest feature seems to be a watch that communicates via Bluetooth with your cell phone, so you can upload your workouts without being near your computer (useful) and will display your text messages and phone calls (ugh- can live without that).  Fenix 2, Ambit 3 are both rather amazing units.  You can also wear them like regular watches, unlike the 310 and 910.

As for lack of support... the 310xt a pretty stable watch with mature firmware.  i wouldn't expect any future updates- but it really doesn't need any.

I've heard about people losing their 310xt off the quick mount release during OWS during triathlon. During a triathlon I only use it for bike and run only for two reasons

1) as you pointed out it can get released during swim especially if kicked
2) it doesn't help me keep any pace during swim. I don't pause to look at it unlike during bike and run

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » About to buy a 310xt. Should I not??? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Was I dumb to buy a 310xt?

Started by TheClaaaw
Views: 2598 Posts: 18

2012-07-08 4:18 PM ChrisM

Caveats of buying a used Garmin 310XT?

Started by sksharp
Views: 1131 Posts: 4

2012-03-09 1:47 PM STut

310XT power and cadence - zero averaging or not?

Started by MonkeyClaw
Views: 3295 Posts: 9

2011-08-20 8:02 AM MonkeyClaw

Softride bike..to buy or not to buy?

Started by kendrabrown
Views: 4624 Posts: 5

2010-09-22 8:15 AM JonnyRingo84

To Buy or Not To Buy

Started by hjmiii
Views: 1256 Posts: 17

2007-08-28 12:40 AM SnMan
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 19, 2013
author : AMSSM
comments : 4
The doctor says not to run again. Ever. Needless to say, I’m not taking this very well. Can I recover from this? Where should I go from here?

date : December 12, 2009
author : FitWerx
comments : 0
We are often asked the question, "What size frame should I buy" and the answer is “it depends”. I know that’s not the answer you want to hear, but hopefully the following will shed some more light.
date : February 23, 2009
author : mrakes1
I usually have at least one workout per day, sometimes two or three, but I spend about all in-between time eating. I am not gaining weight, but I am not losing weight either. Should I be concerned?

date : August 13, 2008
author : say78
In February, I was given a very special gift: a gift certificate to buy a nice road bike. That's when I realized there was no turning back. I WAS doing this.
date : May 7, 2008
author : katzchen55
comments : 3
My thanks to the triathlete community for being there when I need you. That’s the beautiful thing about triathletes. None of us are all right, and no one expects anyone else to be.

date : April 1, 2008
author : sportfactory
comments : 1
How will a power meter help my cycling training and racing? A few questions and answers will help determine if a power meter will be good for you.
date : September 3, 2005
author : joeinco
comments : 6
As a triathlete, there is one acronym that you just can’t fathom ever having next to your name in a race report – DNF: DID NOT FINISH.

date : September 10, 2004
author : steve
comments : 1
Well I said that I was not going to do it this season, but I cracked. I broke down and bought a new bike. I went out and bought a shiny new Cannondale road bike.