General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First tri done, now to get faster Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-08-27 4:49 PM

User image

Lake Saint Louis, Missouri
Subject: First tri done, now to get faster
Hi all,

On Saturday I did my first triathlon. Well, my first race of any kind, ever, actually. The Lake Saint Louis Olympic distance [race report available]. To give a little context, two years ago I was a fat couch potato who got out of breath running for the bus.

I came in at 3h23m, which I believe to be respectable given my beginnings. I've set myself an ambitious goal to complete it next year in less than 3h. I'd like your feedback on how to make that happen. The rough plan in my head at the moment is to use the BT Intermediate Olympic distance training plan, and focus on the following -

Swim

My swim time was 43m, just under a 3m pace. My training was mostly about making the distance, and I left little room for quality work. I plan to get some 1 on 1 coaching over the off-season, really put in some time in the pool, and then be certain to incorporate more quality work into next year's plan. Hopefully maintaining my new found aerobic base will allow for this, and carrying an improved stroke into the training plan will get the most out of it.

I hope to drop at least 5m on the swim leg.

Bike

My bike leg time was 86m, a 16.7mph rate.

Having my first accident the week before the race destroyed my confidence in the bike and myself on corners. So that's an obvious point of improvement. Also, I was riding a regular road bike with no aerobars. Some clip-ons will definitely be in my future. I'll be getting a trainer set up in my office to log some miles over the off-season. Again, there will be more quality work in my bike training next year, and plenty of hill repeats.

With faster cornering and climbing, improved aerodynamics and hopefully increased overall bike fitness, I'd like to drop 10 minutes from my bike leg.

Run

My run time was 1h10. This is where I should have done much better. My stand alone 10k record is 53m. I lost a lot of time to two things - I burned out too quick on the bike leg, and it was just horribly hot. Not much I can do about the heat, but I plan to leave a little more in the tank for the run, and train more specifically for running straight off the bike. I'm pretty sure I can make up more time in the run, than I lose from the bike.

I believe given my standalone 10k time, it's a realistic goal to drop 10m from my run.

Any thoughts? Am I crazy? Going about things completely the wrong way? Or do I have the beginnings of a recipe for success.

2014-08-27 9:30 PM
in reply to: douglanglois

Subject: RE: First tri done, now to get faster
There is a lot of low hanging fruit in those times. I think its very realistic to drop below 3 hours If you stick to the intermediate plan.
2014-08-27 9:52 PM
in reply to: #5044260

User image

Franklin, TN
Congrats on your 1st race!

I think you 're on the right track. Swim instruction, volume and some intensity are going to get you closer to a 30 min swim.

You'll need to work on your bike fitness too...that will come with more time in the saddle. If you work diligently on those two areas and at least maintain your run speed you'll break 3 hours.
2014-08-27 10:21 PM
in reply to: douglanglois

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
Great job for your first time out. About transitioning from the bike to the run from a guy who is horrible at running. What I was doing before my first tri was running after every bike ride for one mile. It was not for speed (because I don't have any even on my best day) but just to get some familiarity with the feel of the transition. Getting comfortable with how the legs feel and how best to run that mile to shake off the bike legs and get the run legs under me.

I found it quite helpful to get me into a running rhythm more efficiently.

As for your overall question, absolutely doable. Good luck.

2014-08-28 9:01 AM
in reply to: Stuartap

User image

Congrats on your 1st tri!

Speaking from experience, you can definitely drop 20+ min from this year's time in next year's race.  For me, upping the number of workouts and increasing intensity on some of them did wonders.  Good luck!

2014-08-29 8:10 PM
in reply to: #5044346

Great job. Sounds like you've got a good a plan. As another poster pointed out definitely add some post bike runs even if they are short. Clip-on aero bars will help but just riding more will definitely help. I'm going to get a bike trainer for myself soon too to get some focused workouts. I like riding outside but focused workouts can get hard even on bike paths with other cyclists, runners, street crossings etc. Good luck!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First tri done, now to get faster Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

My First Tri... getting nervous

Started by LSUdreamer
Views: 2345 Posts: 19

2014-08-27 5:25 PM douglanglois

Getting sick after first tri

Started by matto21
Views: 693 Posts: 7

2010-03-16 7:30 PM camaleon

Anyone doing/done the Santa Rosa Island Tri or Destin Crab Trap Tri

Started by pilotzs
Views: 1646 Posts: 5

2013-05-28 5:00 PM tacetman

Getting nervous about my first Tri...

Started by DrPete
Views: 1525 Posts: 17

2008-09-26 5:45 PM DrPete

Getting through the first open water tri

Started by momo
Views: 1838 Posts: 21

2008-03-16 8:07 PM jmk-brooklyn
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 20, 2012
author : Ali Winslow
comments : 0
Is there an 8-12 week plan to improve technique and strength on the bike, with some running in it as well?

date : April 28, 2011
author : fivecents
comments : 5
What my first sprint distance triathlon taught me about myself.
date : April 13, 2010
author : kcowart
comments : 11
I have always been an athlete, growing up playing team sports like basketball and soccer. I also ran in a couple of 10K races every year, so I had no reason to worry about running a 5K...right?

date : September 10, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 6
Should I be working on getting faster at running by doing the longer distances and working up slowly over time or run faster for shorter distances now?
date : May 12, 2009
author : mat steinmetz
I'm too slow for some group rides and of course I want to increase it for races. What exercise/training should I be focusing on?

date : May 5, 2008
author : Team BT
We take a tour through Colorado Premier Training's wind tunnel. Mark Cote explains how it works and how getting a wind tunnel bike fit can be one of your most important tools in getting faster.
date : March 17, 2008
author : BWL
comments : 4
Using tri training for breaking bad habits, getting healthy and gaining confidence plus a little bit of humility.

date : September 3, 2005
author : aloufan
I couldn't believe that my splits kept getting lower! I started to run harder after I passed the "5 km" sign and picked a few people that I wanted to pass.