General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Fitness benefit from heat? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-08-28 12:58 PM

User image

Veteran
Apex, NC
Subject: Fitness benefit from heat?
As I bypassed the gym and slogged through another sunny, humid, 92 lunch run today I asked myself the question I ask myself every time... am I better off for doing this? In general I think the answer is yes but I'm not entirely certain why.

First off, I have seen the evidence that there are benefits to acclimating to heat. But that only matters if you have a hot race coming up or are forced to consistently train in the heat.

So beyond that, in terms of fitness benefit, is it that a hot run is equal to a cool run of similar intensity? For example if my hot run is at 8:00 miles at 160 HR and my cool run is at 7:35 miles at 160 HR.

Or is a hot run is even better than a cool run of similar intensity in other ways over and above the intensity? Sort of like how intervals accrue a benefit that seems to go beyond adding up the time and intensity?

2014-08-28 1:52 PM
in reply to: smoom

User image

Exton, PA
Subject: RE: Fitness benefit from heat?
I believe that if you have an event coming up that's going to hot it's good to train in the heat to get used to paceing at those temps.

If your asking is it better to train in the heat of the day vs a cooler time of day I would think training when its a little cooler out would be better. I think I recover better and my proceeding workouts are better when I don't do the real hot ones.

2014-08-28 5:15 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Unfortunately, not much benefit. If there was, I should be on the podium at Kona by now! Wjile there may be some benefits in theory and it would definitely help you acclimatize for a hot race, in reality, it really compromises quality (speed) of longer or harder workouts, and makes recovery more difficult. Those tables that purport to show how much faster you could run in more moderate temps, in my experience, are also pretty inaccurate. The good thing is that summer for most folks doesn't last all year like it does here.
2014-08-28 7:02 PM

User image

Pro

I've long had the same question.  I'm not sure what exercise science data there is on this- but I suspect it's kinda' like training at altitude (for which there is science behind).  The result for altitude training wasn't great.  It is helpful if your race is at altitude, but not if your race is at sea level.  As- the altitude limits the amount of intensity you can throw into a workout, and thereby limits the training, resulting in less potential fitness. 

To the first order- your HR is higher for the same pace when it's hot, as blood flow is being diverted for cooling, so less of it is available to your muscles.  So- it's restricting your workout... and that will cap the benefit.  Such is life.

the good thing is, that on race day- most everyone is probably in the same boat.  So, it's fair.

2014-08-28 7:28 PM

User image

Pearland,Tx
A Well done Tan!
2014-08-29 4:15 PM

User image

Veteran
Apex, NC
You guys are making it hard to leave the cool confines of the gym next week!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Fitness benefit from heat? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Weight loss then fitness or weight loss and fitness

Started by rnp70
Views: 2108 Posts: 14

2012-07-03 10:18 AM KeithH

LA Fitness, Anytime Fitness, Bally's, Snap Fitness? Pages: 1 2

Started by vonschnapps
Views: 12488 Posts: 31

2015-02-17 8:18 PM Miles around Midtown

"Fitness evaluation" at LA Fitness was a joke!

Started by Tripolar
Views: 14922 Posts: 16

2021-06-11 8:13 AM TriMyBest

Does running fitness convert to riding fitness?

Started by planetshane
Views: 2395 Posts: 17

2005-02-20 4:10 PM WATriChick

Running Fitness to Biking Fitness

Started by cdf26.2
Views: 977 Posts: 3

2004-04-29 1:04 PM max
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 31, 2011
author : Curt Chesney
comments : 0
Core temperature, hydration, liquid absorption and sweat rates: how they affect racing in the heat

date : September 17, 2008
author : AMSSM
Heat stress, heat exhaustion, and heat stroke: How do these relate to hydration? Can I be well hydrated and still suffer heat stress?
date : September 8, 2008
author : ValleyCoach.com
Because of potential heat injury and sun damage, there are certain precautions that should be taken. Here are some tips to avoid heat injury.

date : June 17, 2008
author : Coach AJ
Is it a good idea to wear winter training clothing while training in 70 degree weather in an attempt to artificially mimic warmer weather similiar to my race?
date : September 8, 2007
author : Coach AJ
Discussions on acclimating to the heat on race day, race caloric intake, and how lactate threshold (LT) relates to heart rate zones with changes in fitness.

date : July 3, 2006
author : AMSSM
As we enter the summer months of training and racing it seems reasonable to discuss issues around heat illness: what is it, how do we recognize it, what can we do about it, and how do we prevent it.
date : September 1, 2004
author : owie
Mental toughness is skill. You need to learn how to suffer. You practice perseverance everyday when you are out training in the bad weather, when you ride or run further than you have ever gone.

date : September 1, 2004
author : owie
My dog is an intelligent runner. She does a big stretch before she does anything. She starts out slowly and gradually builds up speed until we are running very fast.