General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Trainer vs Spin Bike Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-08-28 1:28 PM

User image

Subject: Trainer vs Spin Bike
So I just recently purchased a bike trainer but I'm not sure if it is as beneficial as a spin bike. I can't add much resistance and no idea on my speed. Where as the spin bike its easy to adjust resistance. So any feedback is appreciated. Do I have the right kind of trainer?

Thanks!

2014-08-28 1:57 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Subject: RE: Trainer vs Spin Bike
What type of trainer is it?

With fluid trainers, the resistance increases the faster you pedal. With magnetic trainers, you have to manually set the resistance at the wheel and you can't change it mid-workout.

In general I'd say a fluid trainer is better than a spin bike because you are on your own bike, but you can get a really good workout on a spin bike too. Mag trainers won't allow you to get as varied a workout, but you can still get in some good training time.

edit: it's good to have a speed/cadence sensor on your bike to use it on the trainer so you can estimate distance. Otherwise, you can just measure your volume by time.

Edited by jennifer_runs 2014-08-28 2:00 PM
2014-08-28 2:13 PM
in reply to: Nvmiller

User image

Extreme Veteran
Eden Prairie, MN, Minnesota
Congrats on the new trainer! I very much prefer using a trainer over a spin bike. It allows you to ride the same bike, with the same gear, and same position, all year. As stated, the type of trainer you have (magnetic, fluid or wind) will determine how to increase resistance. But, when in doubt, just switch to a harder gear. Don't worry about speed. Focus more on holding your target cadence and effort level.
2014-08-28 4:28 PM
in reply to: Farlig

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

I much prefer the fluid trainer.  I think it has the most roadlike feel with resistance increases with effort.  My daughter has a magnetic trainer that has a cable running to the handlebars so resistance can be adjusted mid-ride if your trainer is so equipped.

I don't think it matters which metric you use to monitor your workout.  Whether it is speed, cadence, heart rate, etc. it's just important to have something to keep you honest with your effort.  I find that I have to watch it pretty closely to stay above a certain "pace".  If I get distracted or zone out sometimes I see that I've fallen below my target metric.  I find much of trainer riding is as much a mental challenge as a physical one. 

2014-08-28 8:11 PM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Veteran
Maple Grove

I'd echo all of this. Love my fluid trainer. depending on your budget, pairing this with trainerroad.com  and/or sufferfest videos will give you all the workout you can handle, and then some! If you have any significant winter, this can really help to keep up the training.

2014-08-29 5:27 AM
in reply to: Nvmiller

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
Absolutely use the trainer! The major pitfall of a spin bike is that you are working in a quite different position than you would be on a bike, which activates the muscles differently. Spinning is great for cardio, but it doesn't really help you becoming a better cyclists.

Make sure you have a decent fluid trainer (echoing what everyone has said already) and get a trainer tire, it does make a significant difference.

2014-08-29 8:25 AM
in reply to: audiojan

User image

Master
Crab Cake City
I love my trainer and its a fluid trainer. I like being able to be in my house, on my bike and watch TV or listen to music, etc. I think its a much better workout then a spin bike or spin class because of the resistance, getting acclimated to your position on your bike, etc. With that being said, I love spin classes too and they are fun to mix into training but I would not use them as my sole bike training method. Also, the speeds and distances on most gym class speed bikes are very misleading. I remember being at a spin class and an older woman was talking to everyone after class about how she rode 29 miles in that hour class.
2014-08-29 3:24 PM
in reply to: dmbfan4life20

Regular
Apple Valley, Minnesota
I just started with a fluid trainer, I am using GC and going to DL some sufferfest videos tonight. I had been running but got a nice overuse injury, and the bike doesn't hurt(as bad). SO I am doing something and a controlled indoor ride seems to fit the bill. Get a fan or two and hunker down. I am a data guy so ANT+ to GC with HR, Speed and cadence and virtual power I am in nerd heaven.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Trainer vs Spin Bike Rss Feed