General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Pregnancy tips anyone? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-08-28 1:36 PM

Subject: Pregnancy tips anyone?
I'm nearing the end of my first (hopefully of many) triathlon seasons, and I recently found out I'm pregnant - due in April with my second. Any tips from those of you who have been able to train during all or part of a pregnancy? I'm fighting fatigue right now, and definitely need a much more supportive sports bra stat (36C normally, would love recs).

2014-08-28 2:28 PM
in reply to: MMW37

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Pregnancy tips anyone?

Congratulations!! 

I got pregnant not too long after doing my first (and only so far) IM in 2012.  I ran a bit during the first trimester and felt good - but it got to be the dark and cold of winter so i didn't do a lot. We bought a treadmill and i did a few run/walks but I wasn't very consistent.   I really wasn't as active as i thought i would be but I had also just done an IM so i was easy on myself since I probably would have taken a rest anyway after that.  I did swim for the duration of my pregnancy with my tri group - i swam in the easiest lane (I am not a great swimmer anyway so it was maybe a lane down from where I would normally be) and bought a stretchy lycra bathing suit a size or two up and it worked for me for the duration.  A fellow swimmer really liked her maternity swim suit for when she was pregnant and highly recommended it but I never felt that uncomfortable in the bigger one i bought. 

I also did some light cycling while the weather was nice in my first trimester.  Again, my races were done, I didn't have anything to prove we would just go out for the sake of getting out.  But once the winter set in i didn't really want to get into bike shorts and ride the trainer so i didn't. 

I did get quite a bit of contradictory advice on how much or the effort level during pregnancy both from doctors and midwives.  Quite honestly, they don't seem to deal with really active women all that much and the research on exercise and pregnancy seems to be slim. But the consensus seemed to become do what you feel comfortable with, take it easy when you need to and enjoy the ride. It was nice having some other active women who were either pregnant or had babies to talk to (my swim coach was pregnant while I was too)

Because i didn't do a lot of high impact, I didn't spend any considerable cash on sports bras (at least not until after the baby came) - just bought cheaper ones that fit so i can't help you there.

Not sure if this is helpful or not but it's your second so you know what is coming in terms of fatigue and to take care of yourself. Find an activity level that makes you happy and don't worry too much.  Muscle memory is an amazing thing. I am actually  quite shocked at how it all came back. I had an awesome PB at the half iron distance this year!

Congrats again! 

2014-08-28 4:02 PM
in reply to: juniperjen

User image

Denver, CO

Congrats from me as well! 

I've never been pregnant but my swimming buddy, who did several sprint and Oly tris last summer and the year before, just had her baby in June.  She swam 2-3x/week once she got over the fatigue and nausea of her 1st trimester and she went swimming the day before the baby was born.  She stopped running at about 6 months because it became too uncomfortable, not because anybody told her to stop.

She didn't buy a maternity suit because she didn't want to spend $90 on something she was only going to use for 3 months.  She just let her regular suit stretch with her and was able to wear it all the way through.  It's not polyester, so I assume it's lycra.  She even wore it the first few times she went after the baby was born and she'd been cleared to swim even though she'd lost most of her baby weight already.  It was a little baggy then but it held up really well.

2014-08-28 4:23 PM
in reply to: #5044582

User image

Ran and biked through two pregnancies and did swim, bike, run through the third. Main thing is easy to keep your heart rate fairly low. My doctor always said that if my body is used to it then it is fine. Most doctors would rather have you working out than sitting around, but only if the pregnancy is healthy and not high-risk. Ran a marathon 6 weeks pregnant with my first (was fine but not recommended). Morning sickness left me weak and my stomach couldn't handle fuel after mile 20. Walked a lot and finished in 4:15.
Have done sprint and Olympic triathlons in the first trimesters, too. Always ran up until the day I delivered. That being said, do what feels right to you! There are no awards for these things, and they do wear you down. I was stubborn but now realize I could have relaxed a bit more. ??
2014-08-30 2:28 AM
in reply to: midwesttrimom

Being a pregnant is a very good thing. You have to think apart from your career too. When my sister got pregnant I gifted her with view toys and baby carrier.
2014-08-30 8:48 PM
in reply to: #5044653

Thanks for the advice so far, and for the well wishes! It's good to hear that people have been able to keep (lightly) training throughout. Just taking it one day at a time now, and only going to work out if I have the energy. I'm not one of those lucky women who enjoys the process, unfortunately, but I know I can get through it again - we're definitely excited about the eventual end result!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Pregnancy tips anyone? Rss Feed