General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Plugged Handle bars! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-08-28 8:32 PM

User image

, Louisiana
Subject: Plugged Handle bars!
Tri rules state handlebars have to be plugged properly. I have a mirror in one side in place of the plug, is this acceptable? or should I replace it with original plug for Race?

2014-08-28 8:53 PM
in reply to: jareed58

User image

New user
Austin, Texas
Subject: RE: Plugged Handle bars!

I think you'd be fine. That rule is in place because having an open end on the bar is a safety hazard. I've heard of a guy who crashed and the open end of his handlebar bore a hole in his leg like an apple corer.

2014-08-29 5:24 AM
in reply to: jareed58

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
A mirror is perfectly fine. The rule is designed to protect your and other people. If you crash and the drops are not plugged, you can get a very nasty cut, or even the apple corer effect…. Same thing goes for aero bar extensions, so you can't core other participants...
2014-08-29 2:15 PM
in reply to: trijamie

User image

Iowa City, Iowa
Originally posted by trijamie

I think you'd be fine. That rule is in place because having an open end on the bar is a safety hazard. I've heard of a guy who crashed and the open end of his handlebar bore a hole in his leg like an apple corer.

My bike is old enough to have bar-end shifters, looks like I'm good!
2014-08-29 5:46 PM
in reply to: trijamie

User image

Regular
Portland, Oregon

• ..and if you find some proof of that injury it would be like a picture of bigfoot.
  • It seems like a reasonable enough injury and certainly I'm sure there are several people with ring cuts...but so far, to my knowledge, evidence of any real "corings" are elusive.
    2014-08-29 6:25 PM
    in reply to: dfroelich

User image

New user
    Austin, Texas

Originally posted by dfroelich

...and if you find some proof of that injury it would be like a picture of bigfoot. It seems like a reasonable enough injury and certainly I'm sure there are several people with ring cuts...but so far, to my knowledge, evidence of any real "corings" are elusive.

I just googled it, and found a very very graphic image...would not recommend...

New Thread
    General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Plugged Handle bars! Rss Feed  
    RELATED POSTS

Dumb Question - bar ends plugged on the bike

Started by I Tri Hard
    Views: 929 Posts: 7

2012-03-28 6:33 AM jdotten

Handle Bar End Plugs

Started by mtnbkr
    Views: 883 Posts: 5

2010-08-17 8:17 AM D.K.

bar ends plugged??

Started by jford2309
    Views: 1952 Posts: 13

2008-06-17 10:10 AM Artemis

HELP - bike handle bars shake like crazy

Started by Spankster01
    Views: 1700 Posts: 8

2008-06-09 11:47 AM sgillen

Handle bars...

Started by us50090
    Views: 817 Posts: 9

2005-03-07 6:54 PM roadpro
    RELATED ARTICLES
    date : March 24, 2011
    author : FitWerx
    comments : 1
    What should I consider when adding aero bars? What are good brands? Are there pitfalls to be aware of? How can I adjust them to fit me?

date : May 25, 2009
    author : FitWerx
    comments : 0
    I read somewhere about "bar ends" to put on your handle bars, do you recommend them? Is this similar to adding clip on aero bars?
    date : March 4, 2008
    author : sportfactory
    comments : 4
    When shopping for triathlon bike aerobars, considerations range from adjustability, comfort, aerodynamics, weight, and of course, price.

date : August 7, 2007
    author : acbadger
    comments : 3
    After your first triathlon, how many days off should you take to rest? How should you start your training again?
    date : January 29, 2006
    author : Nancy Clark
    comments : 2
    You can spend a small fortune on these pre-wrapped bundles of energy, thinking they offer magic ingredients-not true. “Energy” simply means “provides calories” and not “will make you feel energetic."

date : February 28, 2005
    author : Don Magie
    Whether your bike is new, new to you, or you have not been on the bike for a long time, you really should spend some time thinking about how your bike fits you.
    date : October 17, 2004
    author : jhealy422
    My sister warned me about being used as a launch ramp by faster swimmers but much to my surprise I was the one swimming over those in front of me. I went around one woman, then another.

date : August 31, 2004
    author : smeeko
    Drafting, open water swimming, hydration bricks and aero bar tips for your first Olympic triathlon race.